• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market correction , will we see any effect on comics?
7 7

476 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I'll believe it when I see the numbers materialize. We've been hearing for years now about how trade wars are going to torpedo everything and even though it has slowed the recovery imo it hasn't stopped it by any stretch. These predictions of economic doom have not materialized. If anything the opposite has happened. Turns out the US economy can absorb a trade war better than I initially thought it could. When we see imperical evidence of damage being done from current trade policy I'll be happy to believe it. Till then its just free trade people complaining. 

This virus will hurt China and Europe's economies much more than the United States. I think this will have an impact here yes but that article is more hysteria than fact. 

Again I'm much more concerned over another episode of debt default brinksmanship circa August 2011 than an allegedly "devastating" trade war or a virus. The fact that the national debt has grown more rapidly in recent years makes that more not less likely. Add to that the short term budget deficit has now resumed its unsustainable expansion from a brief respite before 2017. That imo is the real threat 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 3/13/2020 at 11:17 PM, kav said:

If Bruce Wayne had seen a bunch of baseball bats instead of bats when he lost his parents, his name would still have been Batman.

bat-man001.jpg

bat-man002.jpg

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

I'll believe it when I see the numbers materialize. We've been hearing for years now about how trade wars are going to torpedo everything and even though it has slowed the recovery imo it hasn't stopped it by any stretch. These predictions of economic doom have not materialized. If anything the opposite has happened. Turns out the US economy can absorb a trade war better than I initially thought it could. When we see imperical evidence of damage being done from current trade policy I'll be happy to believe it. Till then its just free trade people complaining. 

This virus will hurt China and Europe's economies much more than the United States. I think this will have an impact here yes but that article is more hysteria than fact. 

Again I'm much more concerned over another episode of debt default brinksmanship circa August 2011 than an allegedly "devastating" trade war or a virus. The fact that the national debt has grown more rapidly in recent years makes that more not less likely. Add to that the short term budget deficit has now resumed its unsustainable expansion from a brief respite before 2017. That imo is the real threat 

You’re already seeing an unproportionate “Call for action” in regards to the outbreak. 
sounds familiar?

the government always finds a way to empty our pockets. History will teach you that, there’s no need to “wait and see”

Did you think in a million years that we will open two fronts with Afghanistan and Iraq before 9/11? 
I’m not questioning here what’s “right or wrong”? Everyone has an opinion they will stick through thick and thin to. 
I’m just showing you facts of how easy it is to drain the economy through political agendas. 

8 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

You’re already seeing an unproportionate “Call for action” in regards to the outbreak. 
sounds familiar?

the government always finds a way to empty our pockets. History will teach you that, there’s no need to “wait and see”

Did you think in a million years that we will open two fronts with Afghanistan and Iraq before 9/11? 
I’m not questioning here what’s “right or wrong”? Everyone has an opinion they will stick through thick and thin to. 
I’m just showing you facts of how easy it is to drain the economy through political agendas. 

Yes I know government spending happens in more than one form of expenditure. Supply side expenditure demand side expenditure are both spending. The "hidden" indirect spending is maybe worse than the direct depending on whatever political views are had. Sometimes we have both forms at the same time in massive amounts :whatthe: 

The last time there was anything close to a coherent fiscal policy was the 90's. The budget was actually balanced in 97 for the first time in forever which seems like a million years ago! There was a budget surplus which seems alien nowadays. See now there was a trustworthy economy that was built on much firmer ground!

I'm just saying the US economy is more resilient today than people give it credit for. That's been proven since  2008 beyond a shadow. It's not resilient enough to overcome a debt default and neither are comics, other collectibles. That debt clock means business! I could get into tangents over the wisdom of foreign policy entanglements but here's not the place. 

Stock market down, purchasing/profits thru the roof! You will not see an investment opportunity like this ever again!!!
But proctor & gamble, nabisco etc etc etc!!

Holy monkey muffins :whatthe: a full freaking point?!?! Mostly when a cut happens its .25 basis points. I don't believe there's been a full point cut since some point around Q1 of 2009. Jeez the feds balance sheet was a basket case even before this panic move.

Part of the problem with massive government sugar we've had recently artificially pumping up this economy along with telling everyone they don't have to pay for it is the fed doesn't have a chance to refill its toolbox. It forces the fed to maintain a dovish posture when they should have continued raising rates like they were before 2017 despite the heckling to keep cutting. 

It's one thing when the government spends massive amounts during a financial sector meltdown its another thing entirely to do it when an emergency is not happening!!! Not only have people been told they don't have to pay for anything they've been told what their paying is too high. Sad state of affairs 

5 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Holy monkey muffins :whatthe: a full freaking point?!?! Mostly when a cut happens its .25 basis points.

Yes, it would seem that this pre-emptive in an atrtempt to calm the financial markets before they open tomorrow morning is actually having the exact opposite effect.  doh!

Being viewed by the markets as a panic move by the Fed as stock futures have already hit their trigger limit on the pre-market trades.  :fear:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, it would seem that this pre-emptive in an atrtempt to calm the financial markets before they open tomorrow morning is actually having the exact opposite effect.  doh!

Being viewed by the markets as a panic move by the Fed as stock futures have already hit their trigger limit on the pre-market trades.  :fear:

The fact that the fed urged banks Sunday to tap into liquidity buffers designed to protect them from bankruptcy indicates this as more than just a panic move. Feels more like a flip your lid freakout move! The chairman still having to answer questions on the possibility of being fired doesn't help. Powell's tone body language were not good in that last press conference when he announced the last giant rate cut just 2 weeks ago. Maybe a result of his independence being ripped away? 

Anyway the fed's statement Sunday was littered with consternation 

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Most precious metals and oil have dropped.  Platium dropped 15% overnight.  Will comics buck this trend?

Comics aren't a useful commodity.  So really no comparison to precious metals or oil.  Better analogy is fine art and other collectables.