• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market correction , will we see any effect on comics?
7 7

476 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2022 at 8:33 PM, WolverineX said:

On 7/17/2022 at 8:37 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Seems very high based on GPA...

Why, what does GPA show for this copy of Action 10 in CGC 2.5?  ???

It would seem to be extremely low to me since even Overstreet has his Good 2.0 valuation for this book set at $31K, which basically means this copy here sold for a 25% discount to condition guide value.  Especially when CC indicates auctioning off a CGC 3.5 graded copy back in 2018 for $107K or at a 160% premium to condition guide value.  This was then followed up by their auction of the CGC 3.0 graded Court Copy of Action 10 in 2020 for $76K or at a 95% premium to condition guide value.  Definitely looks low when compared to these 2 price points from the CC Event Auctions during the past few years.  hm

Then again, if you compared it to more recent auction results from the much hearlded Heritage, it looks like they were able to auction off their CGC 3.0 graded copy (albeit with the much dreaded Brittle Pages PQ designation) in the pandemic driven peak of June 2021 for only $28,800 or at a huge 31+% discount to condition guide value.  This was then followed by Heritage being able to fetch only $21,600 or pretty much half condition guide a few months later in November of 2021 for a CGC 3.0 graded Conserved copy of Action 10.  :tonofbricks:

So, who really knows if this sale of a CGC 2.5 graded copy for $28,990 is either good or bad, as I guess it really dpends upon your comparisons.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/17/2022 at 11:50 PM, JB123 said:

I don't know but I've sold more comics since this supposed down than I ever have in my life. It's our biggest year ever in over forty years.

I don't get it? Maybe the fixed multi generational income crowd is bigger than we think?

Population is getting older in general etc....

Those people can pay for hundreds of lives with some of the retirement funds out there.

I've seen social security checks over three grand............

What's going on?

Just curious - what type of books?  Graded Golden Age or keys books?

A hodge podge. I deal in affordable comics of interest.

I've sold gold, modern, basically anything that has real art in it and is an affordable example of a decent desirable comic.

I will say that I don't sell as many dollar comics as in a rush. It's items of quality of some sort that is selling for us.

The pricing has really only fluctuated a small amount it appears to us.

This week we have gold auctions going and the items are super low grade but interesting with real art. They all have some sort of bid and the total bid on the group is already a profit for us. There are days left in the auction.

You can see at lizzilovesit on ebay

Here is one item as an example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314069684198

Yesterday I did a bulk deal with a local friend who is Facebook savvy.

He is bryantsbooks I believe on Facebook

Anyhow he took home ten or so basic crime comics from gold era. Real clue crime.

I may have charged him ten bucks each in the bulk deal. 

Adam took a picture of the lot of ten and posted it on Facebook and made 300 dollars.

I was flabbergasted he did that so quick and also the price.

I don't know what to think we just keep working.

On 7/19/2022 at 11:38 AM, Dark Knight said:

As long as we have collectors like this guy who buys the best of the best, I think the comic book market and collectibles as a whole is in good hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYaySk6bHok&t=686s

From seeing just a bit of this video, it's a reminder that I would have to say this really depends on what you have in your personal collection.  hm

If you have an Action 1, 'Tec 27, AF 15 or the likes in your personal collection, you are probably pretty safe and good to go.  Now, if you talking about books like a Spidey 300, Eternals 1, SME 15, or the likes, than maybe not so much.  (shrug)

On 7/19/2022 at 2:38 PM, Dark Knight said:

As long as we have collectors like this guy who buys the best of the best, I think the comic book market and collectibles as a whole is in good hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYaySk6bHok&t=686s

I agree.... as long as someone is into an item like this it almost creates the market of being able to sell an affordable example for decent cash..............

On 7/19/2022 at 4:26 PM, lou_fine said:

From seeing just a bit of this video, it's a reminder that I would have to say this really depends on what you have in your personal collection.  hm

If you have an Action 1, 'Tec 27, AF 15 or the likes in your personal collection, you are probably pretty safe and good to go.  Now, if you talking about books like a Spidey 300, Eternals 1, SME 15, or the likes, than maybe not so much.  (shrug)

Yeah definitely talking about the highly desirable comics that are true grail books. Of course a grail book varies from person to person, but basically the big books you mentioned as an example will hold value long term and not the spidey 300, Eternals, etc. era kinds of books. 

It's been this way ever since. I don't think it will change anytime soon.

It's so weird to think that Spidey 300 hasn't held value long term.  It's been at least a $50 book for decades - when $50 copper/modern books were rare.  It's down from its all time highs but it's still a VERY easy sell in literally any grade.  

Of course it's not an AF15.  That's comparing a Corolla to a Ferrari.  The VAST majority of comic book collectors will never own an AF15 so it seems silly to use these two as some sort of dueling commodity.  

I’m interested to see what the announcements at this weeks upcoming SDCC panels do for some books. Not as someone who invests but just to compare to the last couple years. I’m willing to bet it causes some sales of certain books but I will be stunned to see any particular book get more than a 15-20% bump at the highest. I think collectors and newer collectors have learned….maybe not though ya never know!