• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stocks and Coronavirus and Comics
4 4

491 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, NoMan said:

Wonder how the media decides what to rant and fear about. Like why this and not that. 

what ever gets the ratings or likes or views... 

15 hours ago, James J Johnson said:
18 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Thanks - I realized that my rant was way too "me" oriented after I posted it. 

I don't consider it a rant. It was a nice read of importance; of a selfless, well-spent day of helping others. It was nicely told and well received. The kind of story that make you proud of your fellow forum members and to take pride in being one.  (thumbsu

I went back and helped from 8 am to 2:30 pm today, as they cannot get volunteers to do this.  Everything went much smoother today.

7 hours ago, NoMan said:

Wonder how the media decides what to rant and fear about. Like why this and not that. 

If you look at the colleges they come out of,  you'll probably find an answer.

I'm curious if anyone in the know has any insight to if the US is ever going to ramp up its COVID-19 testing capacity?  Like I mentioned before, I had what I assumed was the flu last week.  I took the week off, followed the ways of my ancestors, and hunkered down under triple layers and a space heater shaped like a Siberian husky.  Overall I was back in business by Friday.  But I had a brief symptom re-flash on that Thursday, and I started considering getting some further screening just in case.  But when I tried to look into it...nothing.  Nada.  Sounded more like healthcare providers were jumping through hoops NOT to test people for COVID-19 due to the scarcity of testing kits.  

How is that we have this current level of hysteria, yet minimal testing capacity?  This don't make no damn sense to me.

80% of people who get CV are said to have mild symptoms. So while I understand why the medical field needs to have a bell curve spread so the influx of people doesn't overwhelm them.   Maybe if people had common sense and weren't media panicking and fearful life would be easier today for us all. 

I think canceling NCAA tournament and postponing Wondercon adds to the stupidity of most human beings.  

USA has about 330 Million people in it, we have 1400ish confirmed CV-19 cases.

So thats an infection rate of 0.00042% of catching the Corona Virus.    39 people have died in the USA (mostly old people with underlying health conditions) so that is death rate of 2.79% from that 1400. hm. Me thinks long-term we are over reacting in the short-term by juuuuuuuust a little.  Media is making so much money on the fear mongering.

FYI In Italy where 1000+ people have died where they have had a real problem with 15,000+.  :whatthe:  But why?  Oh thats right Italy has one of the oldest populations of people in Europe.  Most of that 1000 are people 80+, with what.......ding ding ding underlying health conditions.  

"The CDC predicts that at least 12,000 Americans will die from the flu in any given year. As many as 61,000 people died in the 2017-2018 flu season, and 45 million were infected." (USA News)

Wake me up when millions get infected and die right away!

Oh and to the NBA:   This guy think you are for sure soft.image.thumb.png.9fcb19d67c431ec8937fa6796dddb532.png

3 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

USA has about 330 Million people in it, we have 1400ish confirmed CV-19 cases.

The US is apparently not testing for it in anywhere near the numbers that all other countries are.

So that 1400 number is pretty much meaningless.

Also some experts are saying transmission is primarily being done through breathing and not necessarily touch, so good luck in trying to avoid it.

43 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I'm curious if anyone in the know has any insight to if the US is ever going to ramp up its COVID-19 testing capacity? ...

How is that we have this current level of hysteria, yet minimal testing capacity?  This don't make no damn sense to me.

Really good questions.  The answers are scandalous. 

South Korea is testing more people per week than the U.S. has done altogether.  

Hong Kong and Singapore are beating the disease, without destroying their economies, because they have done very aggressive testing.  We aren't copying that model yet.  

20 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I just heard 65,000 people have survived it so far....

So this 3% that hasn't is less than 3000?

As of yesterday, 67,995 had survived and 4,629 had died.  That's a death rate of 6.8%.  

But, junk in, junk out.  The number of survivors is likely under reported due to lack of testing, and there is strong evidence that the number of deaths being reported by China and Iran are highly under reported, including video and satellite images of mass graves in Iran.

27 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

80% of people who get CV are said to have mild symptoms. So while I understand why the medical field needs to have a bell curve spread so the influx of people doesn't overwhelm them.   Maybe if people had common sense and weren't media panicking and fearful life would be easier today for us all. 

I think canceling NCAA tournament and postponing Wondercon adds to the stupidity of most human beings.  

Yeah, I hate cumulative statistics like this; it makes people think that if they get sick, there's a 1:5 chance it will be a "severe" version. If an otherwise healthy 20'something gets it, they actually have a very slim chance of becoming severely ill; while if an 80 year old - or someone with a compromised immune system - contracts the same virus, their chances of it becoming life-threatening will be drastically higher. When you lump all of those statistics together, you come up with a blanket "80%" chance of mild symptoms, while for most people, their odds are it affecting them relatively mildly are considerably higher.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

The US is apparently not testing for it in anywhere near the numbers that all other countries are.

So that 1400 number is pretty much meaningless.

Also some experts are saying transmission is primarily being done through breathing and not necessarily touch, so good luck in trying to avoid it.

I am fully aware of that as well.  Again we dont shut down society when the flu season starts.  I dont want to hear about how we have a flu shot either.  I got the flu shot 3 times in my life.  All 3 times I got the flu in the worst way possible.  My point is cancelling events over a month from now is very ridiculous. They dont cancel NBA games when a player has the flu so why now.  Listen I dont even think 1 million people infected is a big deal.

Now what I really want to ask you is have you can help me stop losing money on my Canadian Bank stocks? :taptaptap:

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

My point is cancelling events over a month from now is very ridiculous. They dont cancel NBA games when a player has the flu so why now.

Because apparently this is much more contagious and 8 times more lethal.

And because it's happening quickly.

1 minute ago, jaxcomics said:

Yeah, I hate cumulative statistics like this; it makes people think that if they get sick, there's a 1:5 chance it will be a "severe" version. If an otherwise healthy 20'something gets it, they actually have a very slim chance of becoming severely ill; while if an 80 year old - or someone with a compromised immune system - contracts the same virus, their chances of it becoming life-threatening will be drastically higher. When you lump all of those statistics together, you come up with a blanket "80%" chance of mild symptoms, while for most people, their odds are it affecting them relatively mildly are considerably higher.

But, this is a public health issue.  My guess is that most of the folks on these boards are above their 60s.  So looking at it from the view point of "I'm young, screw the old guys" is not a responsible public health view.  The young infected folks are the ones who will spread it to their grandparents if they don't take the issue seriously. 

I agree that this could have been handled in a much saner and sensible manner.  But, the lack of testing and the failure to get in front of this with a reasonable plan is the reality we now face.    

5 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Really good questions.  The answers are scandalous. 

South Korea is testing more people per week than the U.S. has done altogether.  

Hong Kong and Singapore are beating the disease, without destroying their economies, because they have done very aggressive testing.  We aren't copying that model yet.  

As of yesterday, 67,995 had survived and 4,629 had died.  That's a death rate of 6.8%.  

But, junk in, junk out.  The number of survivors is likely under reported due to lack of testing, and there is strong evidence that the number of deaths being reported by China and Iran are highly under reported, including video and satellite images of mass graves in Iran.

What are you talking about China's economy is just as bad as USA? They lost millions each day because of this

8% of the population in the USA gets the flu each year.  Why is that not a big deal?  (see my joker meme for the answer). I dont want to hear we have a vaccine none sense either.  

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Sounded more like healthcare providers were jumping through hoops NOT to test people for COVID-19 due to the scarcity of testing kits.  

I have no insight to higher testing capability for the government, but I actually was just talking to a family doctor that was next to me at dinner.  He told me people are coming in raging about not being able to be tested despite them wanting one or showing some symptoms.  He said the thing they don't understand is that he's equally as angry because he doesn't get to choose who gets tested.  It's some algorithm that chooses who gets tested (if anyone) due to the scarcity of testing kits based on their vulnerability and severity of symptoms from what I understood.  Despite this, he doesn't have testing kits anyways.  He said he just found out this afternoon that he's supposed to have testing kits tomorrow to start.

I don't know how true that is or if I misunderstood fully, but I found it interesting.

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA
Added a word

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

What are you talking about China's economy is just as bad as USA? They lost millions each day because of this

Hong Kong and Singapore are a bit different than China.

And by "economy," I don't mean stocks.  I mean the devastation we are now going to see of small business owners, especially cafes and restaurants and boutiques etc.  My city now looks like a sparsely populated ghost town.  We are going to see a lot of real world economic hurt.  Hong Kong and Singapore have contained the virus far more rapidly than we are going to be able to do because they rapidly responded with testing and appropriate measures based on that testing.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

Because apparently this is much more contagious and 8 times more lethal.

And because it's happening quickly.

Sure maybe. Flu does the same though being contagious in the air and on items you touch on a daily basis, and if it was that much worse millions would be dead.  Listen I am not disagreeing that it very well can be more contagious etc...., but we are acting like this is going to kill everyone lol

Again I ask, 12,000 people each year die in the USA from the flu.  Why doesnt that cripple the USA economy each year and governments shut society events and gathering down on a regular basis every year? 

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Hong Kong and Singapore are a bit different than China.

And by "economy," I don't mean stocks.  I mean the devastation we are now going to see of small business owners, especially cafes and restaurants and boutiques etc.  My city now looks like a sparsely populated ghost town.  We are going to see a lot of real world economic hurt.  Hong Kong and Singapore have contained the virus far more rapidly than we are going to be able to do because they rapidly responded with testing and appropriate measures based on that testing.

No SF has looked liked the Walking Dead for the past 10 years lol.   Homeless good lord.