• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Men's adventure mags! Six Left; Visual Recap pg. 17
3 3

324 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Randall Dowling said:
5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I looked at the interior shots on the eBay one.  It looks like horsesh*t stories.

I bought this one off eBay, and they kind of put the smokejumper story out there as truth, and it is all bullsh*t.

What??!!  I’m not so sure about that.  Most of these headlines ring true to me...  “the harrowing escape of an American pilot from a commie torture chamber”...  I think that actually happened!

The American Pilot one sounds very plausible.  Actually in multiple instances.  Laos, Viet Nam, Cambodia.

I just know my smokejumper stuff, because I was one for nine years, and that story in Real Men never happened.  The smokejumper community is small, and the history, while quite amazing, is fairly finite.

2 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Man's Daring July 1963, VG. A slightly nicer copy of this Nazi torture camp cover went on eBay for $115.50 at auction. Let's say $75 for the blue blood girl punks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

For the record, that man’s wearing a skirt during a battle.  He’s not Braveheart, it’s a bad choice.

1 minute ago, Randall Dowling said:

For the record, that man’s wearing a skirt during a battle.  He’s not Braveheart, it’s a bad choice.

I always appreciated a healthy breeze about my privates when I was killing Nazis. (shrug)

:news: SOLD! Man's Daring December 1960 in VG/FN, held back by vertical reader's crease. The cover is reminiscent of many a Golden Age comic classic, no? VF on eBay asks $117; a slightly nicer one went $37.65 at auction but that's gone and these are few and far between. Let's say $35.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Readcomix

Just now, Readcomix said:

Man's Daring December 1960 in VG/FN, held back by vertical reader's crease. The cover is reminiscent of many a Golden Age comic classic, no? VF on eBay asks $117; a slightly nicer one went $37.65 at auction but that's gone and these are few and far between. Let's say $35.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Take 

Edited by speedcake

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The American Pilot one sounds very plausible.  Actually in multiple instances.  Laos, Viet Nam, Cambodia.

I just know my smokejumper stuff, because I was one for nine years, and that story in Real Men never happened.  The smokejumper community is small, and the history, while quite amazing, is fairly finite.

You’re correct, of course.  I have hundreds of these mags and they’re all filled with ridiculous stories about Nazi science stuff, trampy women, and absurd he-man heroics.  It’s the defining quality of the genre.