• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Almost there....just need to find a half-decent Bats #8 and I'm done my run of #1-#10 !!!! Here's #5.

batman5.jpg

FISH

Guy Holcombe! Fishler and I split this collection back around 1987 or so...Some beautiful books!

One of the best things about these Boards is the incredible amount of history that we all can share about our books!!!!! Imagine, you recognizing a book that you had dealings with over 20 years ago.......amazing insight and info....Thank you.

FISH

Fish,

Do you love red on yellow colors on your golden age? For some reason it is my favorite combo. Batman #1, #5, All-Star #3 etc. It just looks the best to me

Almost there....just need to find a half-decent Bats #8 and I'm done my run of #1-#10 !!!! Here's #5.

batman5.jpg

FISH

Guy Holcombe! Fishler and I split this collection back around 1987 or so...Some beautiful books!

One of the best things about these Boards is the incredible amount of history that we all can share about our books!!!!! Imagine, you recognizing a book that you had dealings with over 20 years ago.......amazing insight and info....Thank you.

FISH

Fish,

Do you love red on yellow colors on your golden age? For some reason it is my favorite combo. Batman #1, #5, All-Star #3 etc. It just looks the best to me

Love it for sure!! Wish my colours on my Bats 1 were brighter and cleaner, but love it anyway!! Also Supes 1,2,3,6,11 must catch your eye as well!!! Beauties all.

Edited by fishbone

batman5.jpg

FISH

FISH

I was contacted by a fellow who found two boxes of comics in a house his family had purchased. It was a very nice GA collection. GL 1, Special Edition 1, Timelys, etc. Stephen and I were just getting to know each other and I offered to bring him into the deal. Everything went very smoothly including splitting them up.

Many of the books were cleaned and the name removed (I remember Mark Wilson doing the GL 1 for me) since Guy seemed to have written his name in a place where it could easily be removed (this Batman would have been a perfect candidate).

Stephen told me years later that he tracked Guy Holcombe down. I can't remember exactly what he told me about him, but I do recall something about his not wanting to leave his books but him mom made him - something like that...

batman5.jpg

FISH

FISH

I was contacted by a fellow who found two boxes of comics in a house his family had purchased. It was a very nice GA collection. GL 1, Special Edition 1, Timelys, etc. Stephen and I were just getting to know each other and I offered to bring him into the deal. Everything went very smoothly including splitting them up.

Many of the books were cleaned and the name removed (I remember Mark Wilson doing the GL 1 for me) since Guy seemed to have written his name in a place where it could easily be removed (this Batman would have been a perfect candidate).

Stephen told me years later that he tracked Guy Holcombe down. I can't remember exactly what he told me about him, but I do recall something about his not wanting to leave his books but him mom made him - something like that...

great background story!

batman5.jpg

FISH

FISH

Fish,

Love it for sure!! Wish my colours on my Bats 1 were brighter and cleaner, but love it anyway!! Also Supes 1,2,3,6,11 must catch your eye as well!!! Beauties all.

We should start a red on yellow thread. That way we can make sure we get them all into our collection.

Course the Supey 1 and Tec 27 might have to remain reprints.....

In fact, I dug up this old picture from the day a small Timely batch arrived at the store. The HT #1 can be seen in the pics.

Those were the days...

redravenday-1.jpg

No gray hair!

Hair! :baiting:

Edited by ciorac

In fact, I dug up this old picture from the day a small Timely batch arrived at the store. The HT #1 can be seen in the pics.

Those were the days...

redravenday-1.jpg

No gray hair!

Touche!

Toupee!

(And Doucet!)

Those were the days...

redravenday-1.jpg

No gray hair!

Touche!

Toupee!

(And Doucet!)

Can you tell if it is Kevin or Kenny?

Those were the days...

redravenday-1.jpg

No gray hair!

Touche!

Toupee!

(And Doucet!)

Can you tell if it is Kevin or Kenny?

I think that is Kenny.

Edited by MrBedrock

beautiful books, but not Detective Comics? I'm confused.
some tall texan requested we posted red on yellow covers...he didn't specify Detectives :insane:

Actually it was a short Mississippian that made the request. But who is counting? :makepoint: