• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Thanks tb, Gfan, and adam strange for your kind comments about the MH Detective Comics 167. I think I bought it back in 1993 and had it slabbed just a couple of years ago. I don't have that many comics, but of the few that I have that one I'll always treasure.

Thanks Again,

Steve

keep on posting them....

I think only two copies of this book have ever been slabbed. It's the second code-approved issue and as Detective 27Kid pointed out a very tough period in which to locate these Detectives. Anyway here's a nice copy with nice page quality, too!

77417.jpg.d1f8f9ab6bf7fe7f032704f26529f495.jpg

I think only two copies of this book have ever been slabbed. It's the second code-approved issue and as Detective 27Kid pointed out a very tough period in which to locate these Detectives. Anyway here's a nice copy with nice page quality, too!

very nice...

when I was putting my run together, I was happy with "any" conditioned copy, just about, of tec from180's -220's...seems most anyone you can find is in g/vg shape...

that one is stunning compared to its existing brothers out there

Very nice :applause: I love the cover art!

Win Mortimer, an underappreciated artist, but he did a lot of great covers in his time.

Win Mortimer, an underappreciated artist, but he did a lot of great covers in his time.

I'm a huge fan of his, as you can imagine

I'm a huge fan of his, as you can imagine

Isn't your middle name Mortimer? :baiting:

ok, I am officially back to collecting detectives:

tec27cgcex.jpg

Wow... been a little while since I browsed this thread as it was getting hard to look at all of these books and not buy anything. Then I see this. Seriously.... and unrestored no less??? That is simply beyond words... :o :o :o

Many kudos to October for selling me this neat early Detective. So cool. I really love it! :cloud9:

78193.jpg

(Though confidentially, I will probably need to ask for a return...the Batman story appears to be missing from this copy. How about a little disclosure next time, Andy?) (shrug)

And here come some interior page scans. Hope you enjoy!

Creig Flessel drew not only the cover, but the Speed Saunders opening story. Here's a couple of pages. Fans of Flessel covers might like the nice underwater effects on the second page...all you need is a shark and you've got an early Adventure or More Fun cover.

78201.jpg

78203.jpg

Last page of the "Bruce Nelson" story. After slaughtering a bunch of thugs, our man Bruce is off to a date...nice! lol

Pretty well done art in this story, not sure by whom.

78205.jpg

Here's the splash page of "Spy", the first of two GREAT stories by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. (They only had 4 pages for this story, hence the pace of the plot is awfully frantic!) Sally and Bart look an awful lot like Lois and Clark...

78202.jpg