• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
4 4

4,430 posts in this topic

And here come some interior page scans. Hope you enjoy!

Creig Flessel drew not only the cover, but the Speed Saunders opening story. Here's a couple of pages. Fans of Flessel covers might like the nice underwater effects on the second page...all you need is a shark and you've got an early Adventure or More Fun cover.

78201.jpg

78203.jpg

that books just screams great GA!

Finally, here's Slam Bradley, the other Siegel and Shuster story. This story is 13 pages long, and just fantastic!

They really get to stretch out and have some fun. Splash page:

78200.jpg

And one more page from Slam Bradley. I love the ridiculous panel at the bottom! The dynamic between the two characters

(Slam showing off and enjoying himself, and the woman completely stunned, with "shocked" lines drawn around her)

very much reminds me of the first few Superman stories in Action Comics.

78204.jpg

Anyone notice in the text story the homage to a "Sergeant Bill Gaines"? I wonder if co-publisher Max Gaines brought his son to the office while Ellsworth was writing the story? Bill Gaines would have been a pesky 16-year old in 1938.

I did notice that! Very funny.

Fish, stunning Tec & Bats. Big congrats on all the pickups!

Many kudos to October for selling me this neat early Detective. So cool. I really love it! :cloud9:

78193.jpg

(Though confidentially, I will probably need to ask for a return...the Batman story appears to be missing from this copy. How about a little disclosure next time, Andy?) (shrug)

Ill take it off your hands, (: Bats or no Bats, btw great stories, thanks for posting. Now could someone answer me how many issues does the Crimson Avenger appear in (before the costume change) ?

Question for Batmaniacs: OSPG notes that both Batman 49 and Detective Comics 230 contain the first appearance of the Mad Hatter. What Gives?

bat 49 is first GA appearance

tec 230 is first SA appearance