• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

:eek: This place is turning into a Tec 31 thread!

Offhand, I didn't see if someone responded to the question I posted earlier but what is the market like on coverless copies of this book? I haven't seen any on eBay or any of the major dealer sites. Wasn't sure if any of you have seen sales on it or not.

I am pretty sure someone said it would be around 3K for a coverless one :o

Kind of make you wonder what's worth more: the coverless copy or the cover itself, you know? I'd almost think the cover, being one of THE definitive Batman covers, would fetch more than the actual complete interior.

Depends how nice it is and if that person already has a coverless copy

Kind of make you wonder what's worth more: the coverless copy or the cover itself, you know? I'd almost think the cover, being one of THE definitive Batman covers, would fetch more than the actual complete interior.

hm

I could really see that happening. It makes sense. If I had a coverless copy I would pay top dollar for the cover.

For any coverless copy I own I would pay more for the cover than I did for the interior, as it would seem covers are harder to come by then interiors.

I know a front cover only (no back cover attached) to Tec 35 sold for $1,500 a little while back on heritage.

Lot a variables with "parts" especially for key issues.

Offhand, I didn't see if someone responded to the question I posted earlier but what is the market like on coverless copies of this book? I haven't seen any on eBay or any of the major dealer sites. Wasn't sure if any of you have seen sales on it or not.

yep, there were multiple response I believe, in that neighborhood (thumbs u

In my defense, it IS the end of the marking period and my seniors are draining the brainpower out of me with all of their blasted neediness.

:foryou::blush:

That being the case, I find it really interest as well because a .5 PR copy of Batman runs about the same price. Now, if you remove the defining characteristic of the Tec 31's value (the cover), do you think it SHOULD be worth the same as a book the contains the first appearances of Batman's two most important villains?

hm

In my defense, it IS the end of the marking period and my seniors are draining the brainpower out of me with all of their blasted neediness.

That being the case, I find it really interest as well because a .5 PR copy of Batman runs about the same price. Now, if you remove the defining characteristic of the Tec 31's value (the cover), do you think it SHOULD be worth the same as a book the contains the first appearances of Batman's two most important villains?

hm

Tec 31 is a cover driven book 1st, and interior value 2nd. If the 31 cover was ho hum ("normal"), I'd say the 29 and 33 and 35 would be valued at more across in all grades...

hm

Tec 31 is a cover driven book 1st, and interior value 2nd. If the 31 cover was ho hum ("normal"), I'd say the 29 and 33 and 35 would be valued at more across in all grades...

Really?

No offense to 29, 33 (except the origin), and 35. All have great stories. But personally 31/32 has the best pre-robin story in my opinion. A two part story that ends with Batman shooting his enemies in cold blood to finish them off once and for all.

Been saying this before and I'll say it again.. Det. #33 is soooo undervalued its ridiculous!?!? This issue contains Batman's origin retold,, How cool is that? It's like owning a mini Tec 27.. Same with Bat 1
not sure it is undervalued...heck, it has been higher valued in the guide for 20+ years just for that reason

the difference today is that books are encased in cgc holders, so the content seems to count for less, and the cover more...hence, 29 and 31 are now both passing 33 by

hm

Really?

No offense to 29, 33 (except the origin), and 35. All have great stories. But personally 31/32 has the best pre-robin story in my opinion. A two part story that ends with Batman shooting his enemies in cold blood to finish them off once and for all.

the 31 story is GREAT. Better than the 33 Bat story. The 31 would not be valued as it is today (or as coveted IMO) if it did not have that castle cover. 2c

Been saying this before and I'll say it again.. Det. #33 is soooo undervalued its ridiculous!?!? This issue contains Batman's origin retold,, How cool is that? It's like owning a mini Tec 27.. Same with Bat 1
not sure it is undervalued...heck, it has been higher valued in the guide for 20+ years just for that reason

the difference today is that books are encased in cgc holders, so the content seems to count for less, and the cover more...hence, 29 and 31 are now both passing 33 by

I think 33s cover is cool...that gun holster and Bat-like wings gives a new angle to Batman at the time...actually, the wings on 33 look more like his wings on the 27 cover.....29 (2nd Bat cover, tough, and eerie cover)...31 (sick cover, great story)...33 (Origin, gun holster)...35 (smokin 45 pistol splash)...that was a great time period to witness. Edited by Primetime

I'd go with Bat 1 over the Tec 33, for some reason I've never been overly fond of the 33. Toughness wise goes to the 33 though. I would think Tec 38 would be a higher prioity, it's only Robin, I know, but then again it IS Robin. Not exactly a one hit wonder.

Great 29 you got there!

I'd go with Bat 1 over the Tec 33, for some reason I've never been overly fond of the 33. Toughness wise goes to the 33 though. I would think Tec 38 would be a higher prioity, it's only Robin, I know, but then again it IS Robin. Not exactly a one hit wonder.

Great 29 you got there!

Tough call-Bat 1 or Tec 33. I know what Ciorac would say :grin: Bat 1 over Tec 38 FOR SURE...

Great 29 you got there!

No... but perhaps a boy wonder... hm

lol

Fully agree with this. Covers rule the day when we collect slabbed books.

And for Tec 33 - I feel it should be on the same level as say 29 or 31 (or less) because yes it is the origin but heck the story following is the worst of the pre robins in my opinion.

hm

Really?

the 31 story is GREAT. Better than the 33 Bat story. The 31 would not be valued as it is today (or as coveted IMO) if it did not have that castle cover. 2c

I never really thought about it before in those terms. But I agree that the cover makes it. All the top Pre-Robins are based off which one has a Bats cover and even then the stars are 29 and 31 with 35 as the rising star.

But luckily we do not have to wonder whether or not 31 would be what it is without the cover. Because lucky for us the 31 does have the defining Bat cover and an incredible story. Besides 27, 31 is hands down my 2nd most desired Tec of them all! (thumbs u