• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Here are my two nicest Detectives. I don't think I've posted them here yet. They are from the Harold Curtis collection.

Who is Harold Curtis?

I assume he must have been the original owner of these books. How extensive was his collection in terms of quantity, quality, breath, etc?

Just curious, that's all.

Scoop article on the collection.

"The Harold Curtis collection hails from Rhode Island, and is a very impressive original-owner assemblage consisting primarily of DC, Quality, and Lev Gleason titles. Most are high grade and have excellent paper quality. Many are at the top of the CGC census. Harold Curtis grew up in Danielson, a small, rural town in northeastern Connecticut. He began reading comic books, probably starting in the 1930's. On Saturdays, he and his younger brother and sister got up early in the morning in order to complete all of their weekly household chores before noon. Following lunch, their father rewarded each of them with an allowance payment of twenty five cents. It was with this financial windfall that Harold bought his weekly supply of comics, candy and movie theater tickets. While a few of the earliest issues show considerable wear, most of the comics appear to have been read once, and were stored well. Titles featuring Batman were Harold's main interest, but he also collected other heroic titles, and even a few selected romance comics as his interest in girls began to grow.... and understandably, as his interest in girls continued to develop, he eventually stopped buying comics -- but even after marriage he refused to ever get rid of his beloved collection! Until now."

Damn, those "Harold" books are awesome!!! I wonder what other issues makeup his collection.

hello all..

I think Metro has at least one Tec "harold" on their site (I view it daily, so I am sure it was there recently)...

rick

tecgroupshotr.jpg

hello all...

ok, while this is not a "completed" shot, some of the books in the shot are leaving the family soon, so I wanted to get an intermediate pic, before the final run is assembled in one location...missing, are my tec 27 being restored by Matt Nelson, the tec 35 unrestored vg/fn from the metro auction (at cgc), and my tec 38 (secured, not yet here)...still would like an unrestored 28.29.36 and 38, but I am not sweating it...

so, enjoy, but I still am looking forward to posting "the" shot, with the run complete 27-53...

rick

ps-threw in the bat 1 and tec 1, for fun smile.gif

Edited by Detective27kid

tecgroupshotr.jpg

hello all...

ok, while this is not a "completed" shot, some of the books in the shot are leaving the family soon, so I wanted to get an intermediate pic, before the final run is assembled in one location...missing, are my tec 27 being restored by Matt Nelson, the tec 35 unrestored vg/fn from the metro auction (at cgc), and my tec 38 (secured, not yet here)...still would like an unrestored 28.29.36 and 38, but I am not sweating it...

so, enjoy, but I still am looking forward to posting "the" shot, with the run complete 27-53...

rick

ps-threw in the bat 1 and tec 1, for fun smile.gif

WOW!!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif I can't stop staring at how beautiful it all looks all at one time!!! That's the collection of my dreams cloud9.gif.. Very nice collection Rick.. Im giving you 2 thumbs up! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Wow!!!! A 5.0 unrestored Batman # 1. I am impressed.

What is with showing the Batman # 1, I thought it was the Detective Comics Thread 27_laughing.gif.

hello all...

just filling in space to even the pic out smile.gif

rick

Does it have a period between the No and 1.

Oops wrong thread 27_laughing.gif

hello all..

yes, this one has the "."....one of the 3 I have owned did not, but the other 2 did/do

rick

Edited by Detective27kid

Wow great books everyone! Geez I miss a day on the boards and piles of great books show up.