• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

DAMMIT- who snatched the 37 from metro- I was about to move on it!!!

That's hilarious. I saw that book last night and thought to myself "decent price" and almost made an impulse buy. Seems to happen every other day lately.

Yah, just like the Marvel 5 swipe!

So I heard. Does anyone have a pic or know the grade of the Marvel 5?

hey

I bought that marvel 5 a week before anyone even mentioned it on these boards poke2.gif (actually, that is true, I bought it 2/14, a few days before the 5vs9 thread was started)

rick

That's hilarious. I saw that book last night and thought to myself "decent price" and almost made an impulse buy. Seems to happen every other day lately.

It was a FN- and was on the site for months...surprised it didn't sell earlier..i didn't swipe the scan but I recall a spine split? on the bottom..ask Detectiev27kid...

I wonder who bought the #36 and #37 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ummm....I know!....did anyone notice that a #33 was missing from metro's inventory, too.... gossip.gif

Vinnie prob. pulled a bunch of books for the big NY Con happening right now...

nope (I think they leave inv on the site until sold at the show), one of the most noted tec thread posters honed in on those bad boys.... a man after my own heart...

he will reveal himself in good time (he is probably getting into his pj's as we speak)!

rick

It was a FN- and was on the site for months...surprised it didn't sell earlier..i didn't swipe the scan but I recall a spine split? on the bottom..ask Detectiev27kid...

hello all...

I only started to collect MMC this month, I suspect a LOT of them will be dissappearing from metro's site soon, so fair warning, if you have your eye on one, grab it now....run, don't walk, let Stephen know of your interest now! smile.gif

rick

ummm....I know!....did anyone notice that a #33 was missing from metro's inventory, too.... gossip.gif

Yeah, it was an unrestored 5.5 Tec 33 which I believe was sold. I wonder how much it sold for.

I hear they sold it for $100,000. That's the word on the street.

S

Yeah, it was an unrestored 5.5 Tec 33 which I believe was sold. I wonder how much it sold for.

S

those "in the know" say closer to $99,999!

rick

S

WOw, what a price!!! yeahok.gif

Why hasn't anyone bought that blue label #33 yet? popcorn.gif

Not, yet...$10,500 frustrated.gif

hello all..

that is actually a pretty good price on a 4.5...the last one sold via clink for $11,500...so, it is like a $1K discount...the cheapest I would consider selling my 4.5 is $10K, if the right package deal came along, and I am not really interested in selling, so that is something to consider

rick

Why hasn't anyone bought that blue label #33 yet? popcorn.gif

Not, yet...$10,500 frustrated.gif

hello all..

that is actually a pretty good price on a 4.5...the last one sold via clink for $11,500...so, it is like a $1K discount...the cheapest I would consider selling my 4.5 is $10K, if the right package deal came along, and I am not really interested in selling, so that is something to consider

rick

I inquired Vincent about the book and he told me he was selling it for $11k. I guess the price dropped by $500 since then? I def. need a Tec 33 in my collection, but even with $10,500.. It's still darn expensive!?!?

one 8.5 cvr cleaned for $7,390, (still on their site)

one 8.0 ct/cvr cleaned for $2,000 (still on their site)

and the 5.0 for $3,000, which is the one that is gone now, was this book restored ?? the listing didn't say anything about resto. confused-smiley-013.gif

You are thinking of the high grade #36 which has a cleaned cover. The VG/F does NOT have a cleaned cover.

Stephen

Which has more of a negative impact on the price of a book? A book that has had its cover clean or a book with colour touch? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess it really must depend on the amount of the colour touch. From the above listed prices, it looks like the copy with the microdot of colour touch still sold for over guide. The book with the cover cleaned is still sitting unsold for around guide price while the copy with both colour touch and cover cleaned is also sitting unsold even at a big discount to guide.

Which has more of a negative impact on the price of a book? A book that has had its cover clean or a book with colour touch? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm sure this is a "case by case" decision, but for me, a cleaned cover is less bothersome than color touch......a cleaning is just that...a cleaning. Color touch is replacing/ filling in an area/chip/stress line that is missing its original surface layer/pigment. I would imagine I may be in the minority on this one, as a small amount of color touch may represent a repair to 1% of the cover, where as cleaning effects 100% of the cover... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

With cleaning...you are brightening/cleaning/refreshing what is still there.

With color touch...you are replacing something that is missing/no longer there. (seems more severe)

( all this from someone who doesn't buy restored books anyway gossip.gif )

hello all...

I think I would take color touch over cleaning (aqueous based)...with that type of cleaning, you are actually altering the chemical composition of the cover/book, in essence, "changing" it structurally, far more "damaging" to me, than adding color touch which concievably could be removed...you can't undo a cleaning (plus, it sometimes leaves a wierd feel to the book)...

rick

hello all...

I think I would take color touch over cleaning (aqueous based)...with that type of cleaning, you are actually altering the chemical composition of the cover/book, in essence, "changing" it structurally, far more "damaging" to me, than adding color touch which concievably could be removed...you can't undo a cleaning (plus, it sometimes leaves a wierd feel to the book)...

rick

As usual, Rick is on the mark with this one. The "feel" of the book changes after a cleaning.

But, having said that, it wouldn't stop me from buying a book I want if it had been color touched AND cleaned. The book is what matters most to me. I'm greedy like that... devil.gif