• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

hello all...

I think I would take color touch over cleaning (aqueous based)...with that type of cleaning, you are actually altering the chemical composition of the cover/book, in essence, "changing" it structurally, far more "damaging" to me, than adding color touch which concievably could be removed...you can't undo a cleaning (plus, it sometimes leaves a wierd feel to the book)...

rick

Yes, I would also agree with your comments here. thumbsup2.gif

Especially the fact that the work cannot be undone. Like everybody states, it also affects the entire cover and you can almost always feel the difference in the book.

I remember holding a lot of Mark Wilson's books before in the past and they simply felt unnaturally stiffer. Not sure if this was due to a bad cleaning job or just the nature of aqueous based cleaning.

Any idea what type of discount to guide is generally applied to these cleaned early GA books, considering that this type of work usually falls under the slight restoration category?

Speaking of greedy... we're greedily awaiting pics of your new bundle of joy... when does it arrive, pray tell?

Probably another couple of weeks yet. frown.gif

hang in there...

I'm trying Bronty, but it is hard.. crazy.gif

Speaking of greedy... we're greedily awaiting pics of your new bundle of joy... when does it arrive, pray tell?

hang in there...

I guess it must also be pretty hard for you to sell off a bunch of really nice books in order to obtain that one big big book.

That's something that I would also just find tough to do as collectors generally fall in love with their books. Speculators, on the other hand, would have no problems flipping since it's just like day trading stocks.

hang in there...

I guess it must also be pretty hard for you to sell off a bunch of really nice books in order to obtain that one big big book.

That's something that I would also just find tough to do as collectors generally fall in love with their books. Speculators, on the other hand, would have no problems flipping since it's just like day trading stocks.

hello all...

I like what bill said in an earlier post...sometimes you have to temp sacrifice, in order to achieve your goal....whatever book(s) (did he say one book, or is it books?) he gets, you can always go back and reaquire the other copies down the road...sometimes, a big book might only come around once in a blue moon (especially at an attractive price), so you have to react to it....I like bill's philosophy, and we all know his love for the medium!

I say good luck! thumbsup2.gif

rick

hello all...

I think I would take color touch over cleaning (aqueous based)...with that type of cleaning, you are actually altering the chemical composition of the cover/book, in essence, "changing" it structurally, far more "damaging" to me, than adding color touch which concievably could be removed...you can't undo a cleaning (plus, it sometimes leaves a wierd feel to the book)...

rick

Yes, I would also agree with your comments here. thumbsup2.gif

Especially the fact that the work cannot be undone. Like everybody states, it also affects the entire cover and you can almost always feel the difference in the book.

I remember holding a lot of Mark Wilson's books before in the past and they simply felt unnaturally stiffer. Not sure if this was due to a bad cleaning job or just the nature of aqueous based cleaning.

The stiffness was probably from the gelatin resizing after the cleaning. I spoke to Mark Wilson a while back about resizing after cleaning. He mentioned that he was a big believer in resizing paper after cleaning, because the original sizing gets washed away. In most cases you can't tell that a book has been resized, but if you had size that was too thick or if you didn't blot off enough after it was applied, I can see how the book would be too stiff.

hang in there...

You are right Lou. But in the end it will all be worth it. I get a major grail book for me, in fact, my grail of grails, and then I can begin to reacquire what I sold to get it. It's not like I am selling off the farm though. I still have an extensive collection, and most of my favorite books.

It's not like I am selling off the farm though.

you have a farm?...you didn't mentioned this before...

rick

Yep, and I keep the really big golden age in the barn. Just like Lamont!

Note to self......spray to prevent infestation of the barn....

It's not like I am selling off the farm though.

you have a farm?...you didn't mentioned this before...

rick

Yep, and I keep the really big golden age in the barn. Just like Lamont!

thumbsup2.gif

Why hasn't anyone bought that blue label #33 yet? popcorn.gif

Not, yet...$10,500 frustrated.gif

hello all..

that is actually a pretty good price on a 4.5...the last one sold via clink for $11,500...so, it is like a $1K discount...the cheapest I would consider selling my 4.5 is $10K, if the right package deal came along, and I am not really interested in selling, so that is something to consider

rick

I inquired Vincent about the book and he told me he was selling it for $11k. I guess the price dropped by $500 since then? I def. need a Tec 33 in my collection, but even with $10,500.. It's still darn expensive!?!?

Maybe it was $11k. I don't recall now confused-smiley-013.gif

guys, 10,500 ain't a bad price...11K is pushing it, but still within fair market value...makes me feel all warm inside with my 4.5 smile.gif

rick

I'm sure you do.. I would too smile.gif I don't know, I think even at $10,500, it's still a little pricey. The Crippen CGC 4.0 sold for just $7,800. I would think that a 4.5 would be around $9k-$9500. Just my thinking. I could be wrong of course.

guys, 10,500 ain't a bad price...11K is pushing it, but still within fair market value...makes me feel all warm inside with my 4.5 smile.gif

rick

I'm sure you do.. I would too smile.gif I don't know, I think even at $10,500, it's still a little pricey. The Crippen CGC 4.0 sold for just $7,800. I would think that a 4.5 would be around $9k-$9500. Just my thinking. I could be wrong of course.

that is a good point...I totally missed that (or I would have bid on it!)...but that is the same auction I missed the 36 on..c'est la vie

rick

rick

Use that sale as a bargaining point with Steve, I'm sure it will be effective! wink.gif

J/K Steve! cool.gif

rick

Use that sale as a bargaining point with Steve, I'm sure it will be effective! wink.gif

J/K Steve! cool.gif

I know huh. It seems like the price won't budge at all. Have you guys ever tried bargaining with him?

Oh by the way... I don't know if anyone else is interested in a Tec 35? I will be getting an extra copy soon, but hopefully looking to trade it for either one or a couple of these books: Batman 1, Tec 33, 36, 37. It's an extensively restored 8.0. My 2nd option is to maybe sell it.

hang in there...

As a general rule, I hate selling or even trading books. I don't mind the sales process, just the thought of letting go of books as, for the most part, I am pretty certain I can't or won't pick them up again in the future. The only thing that makes sales palatable is knowing what I can get with the proceeds. There have been a couple times when I couldn't let go of books fast enough. crazy.gif