• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

I picked these up at an antique advertising show from a dealer friend of mine who found them at a sale right down the street from his house. The lady who was selling them bought them as a child, along with some Spooky and Casper comics I did not pick up. It's pretty cool to get a big chunk of any Atlas run in one fell swoop. Here's a group shot until I have time to scan a few of my favorites:

45834644.a7c62478.1024.jpg

On 11/13/2017 at 8:19 AM, zzutak said:

Mid-grade copies of two of my favorite PCH covers.  Harry Anderson never disappoints.  I believe the UT #20 may be Sale's only horror cover.  1954 was a very, very good year!  :headbang:

Ast-32-Pet.jpg

Unc-20-Pet.jpg

Love how the buildings and fence wrap around to frame in the werewolf on the Astonishing. You can just here the editor saying " I said vampire, not werewolf! Ah, let's just go with it!" :grin:

On 11/13/2017 at 5:19 AM, zzutak said:

Mid-grade copies of two of my favorite PCH covers.  Harry Anderson never disappoints.  I believe the UT #20 may be Sale's only horror cover.  1954 was a very, very good year!  :headbang:

Ast-32-Pet.jpg

Unc-20-Pet.jpg

Two tough ones to find in good shape!

7 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I love the colors and staging on this one. In my mind, one cool book:

I agree. Great book.

The main figure on this cover is lifted from a Pin-Up page that appeared in # 10 - That helps explain the issue with proportions.

BlackRider10Pinup1s.jpg

Edited by Scrooge

16 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

I agree. Great book.

The main figure on this cover is lifted from a Pin-Up page that appeared in # 10 - That helps explain the issue with proportions.

BlackRider10Pinup1s.jpg

Very cool insight! He does loom rather large on the cover, doesn't he?

Posted in the recent precode thread but this Atomic Age classic Maneely cover also belongs here among the fantastic books posted by the great collectors who never shrug when seeing an Atlas...

at3091918.jpg.a925aa10f674abbc3a7a1173c08ca6f1.jpg.e739c029f5d4fafdc6a592be5435c5f3.jpg

A few Homer covers - Issue 14 sports a galloping ghost football cover:

46069126.87e47597.800.jpg

I love his ghoulish friends on this cover:

46069122.cdfbb5f2.800.jpg

And I like this cover because it was recycled on the first issue of the 1970's reboot of the title:

46069118.12221ded.800.jpg

Edited by PopKulture