• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,318 posts in this topic

I've had this one for years. I think it was around 1972 that the 1950's Captain America and Bucky were revived (although as psycho's) and that intrigued me enough to find this. Even when it wasn't on the radar as much, it was still a tough one to find.

YoungMen24.jpg

My guess is that it was harder to find then than now - though cheaper for sure. So you've had that copy for 35 years - excellent.

I've had this one for years. I think it was around 1972 that the 1950's Captain America and Bucky were revived (although as psycho's) and that intrigued me enough to find this. Even when it wasn't on the radar as much, it was still a tough one to find.

YoungMen24.jpg

My guess is that it was harder to find then than now - though cheaper for sure. So you've had that copy for 35 years - excellent.

Yes, I tend to hang onto comics. It actually took a few years to find this at a convention, but it was definitely cheaper than it would be now.

YoungMen24.jpg

Yes, I tend to hang onto comics. It actually took a few years to find this at a convention, but it was definitely cheaper than it would be now.

So cool I'm looking for a LG Yong Men.

YoungMen24.jpg

So cool I'm looking for a LG Yong Men.

try Ebay-China; you're sure to have luck there.

Another December eBay win. I've found this book tough to find so I'm very happy with this copy -

I really like the colors on that copy, Scrooge. It has to be one of the most colorful Atlas's I can recall from that time period.

3D Atlas war! I hadn't even remembered that they produced these. Back when I was thinking about getting into 3 D books I wasn't paying attention to Atlas war. Looks like I should have!

Do the issues have glasses? What do you think of the stories?

My Western has glasses, my Action does not. The stories are typical Atlas fare, and probably sub-par compared to the contemporary stuff from other Atlas mags. There's a real tear-jerker in the Action by Tuska, but the book only has 2 or 3 war stories. The rest are sports/spy/manly-men type stuff.

They're impossible in any kind of decent shape as they're oversized (magazine width, comic height) and the covers are on a pretty flimsy cover stock. It seems even worse than other Atlas comics, whereas other 3-D books were on a thicker stock.

As an aside, do you know who Heath used as a model on this book? It's definitely not his typical face, and I know he felt that he wasn't a good face-drawer. I recall him saying he often used his reflection in a mirror, but I've never seen him draw another face like this one.

52308-Battlefield11a.jpg.14459e929b55b95716a3228e649cbb74.jpg