• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

One thing I've found about Atlas is that many of the covers that seem ho-hum actually look much better in person due to subtleties in color and such.

So true, and probably another reason folks seek out nicer copies. One can fully appreciate the cover of a Weird Mysteries 5 or a Black Cat 50 in low grade, but some of the more subtle Atlas covers really don't pop until you see a nicely presenting mid-grade copy.

.... a high grade Atlas is a beautiful thing. Their cover stock was especially glossy off the press and that gloss can really pump up the volume. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

One thing I've noticed about particular pre-code titles; some, such as what Fawcett produced (before they shut down due to the lawsuit by National (DC) comics in 1953), only contained three stories, while Atlas books generally had 5 (and early post-code, sometimes 6).

And of the Atlas titles, I never could figure out why Journey Into Mystery would always go for the bigger bucks, regardless of grade. Of course, Menace, with their scarier covers, was also a bigger money title as well.

I think that some producers, such as Standard, used a cheaper quality of paper, at least for their covers, and the same might be said of Atlas, given that better grade books are so rare, relative to numerous other publishers titles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a few exceptions for the long popular "classic" Atlas covers, and early numbers of titles like JIM and ST, the huge run up seems to be largely limited to 6.0 and up copies, with maybe the odd 5.0-5.5 with strong eye-appeal. There are tons of Atlas PCH on ebay in 2.0 - 5.0 that sell for $25 - $90 regularly in auction format.

It does seem pretty common place for CGC 6.0 copies to sell for 3 - 4X what a raw VG would for a lot of books ( especially Everett covers) , and in some cases even more, with the really big jumps in 8.0 and above - including post-code fantasy books as well. I get the feeling this is more to do with the broad realization that Atlas in even middling higher grade is very difficult to come by, and not so much a demand for PCH Atlas in general. Unlike the often gruesome classics and even some semi-classics from other publishers which routinely fetch $100 - $500 in GD, one can still find some of the cooler Atlas PCH books for less than $100 in VG.

...... this is what I'm seeing also. One factor to consider with eBay is that the typical Ebay VG is usually just a weak G+..... this probably has a bearing on completed sales. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

Point taken, though I was trying to factor for apparent grade based on a scan and not advertised grade. And while it's clearly easier to find loosely graded books than tightly graded books on ebay, I don't know if it's as bad as all that, there are plenty of decent graders on ebay, I think we just notice more when someone is way too generous. Nobody starts a thread about an ebay "NM" that actually looks like it could slab out at 9.4.

...... my comments about eBay were out of line. I've snagged some real nice books there over the years......there are several sellers I avidly follow. GOD BLESS...

This thread has been humming lately. Interesting opinions and info.

So, what do I do with this.

Bethlehem copy which I have owned for 14 years. It's an 8.0/8.5 all day long.

Pages off-white, crisp.

photo JIM6_zps8ac5e5da.jpg

photo JIM6BC_zps127d2ee9.jpg

I have collected PCH and Atlas books since at least 1977 when the Mile High catalog first came out. Regarding the Atlas titles, I was initially a completest. I managed to acquire most of the pre-code issues in VG or better while attending conventions and buying through Alan Light's CBG. There was always a big interest in them especially when HG collections or accumulations would be made available. By interest, I mean a feeding frenzy! I sold off 80% of my Atlas collection around 12 years ago in one fell swoop. Kept my personal favorites and the higher grade issues (thank God).

There is one of the other ped JIM 6, I understand there may be a nice RC copy also, can anyone confirm?

As for what to do with it, just tuck that sucker away, and pull it out every now and again to give us a look.

Beauty, thanks for sharing John.

Sweet copies, guys! Marvelous Everett covers :headbang:

Pages off-white, crisp.

I have collected PCH and Atlas books since at least 1977 when the Mile High catalog first came out. Regarding the Atlas titles, I was initially a completest. I managed to acquire most of the pre-code issues in VG or better while attending conventions and buying through Alan Light's CBG. There was always a big interest in them especially when HG collections or accumulations would be made available. By interest, I mean a feeding frenzy! I sold off 80% of my Atlas collection around 12 years ago in one fell swoop. Kept my personal favorites and the higher grade issues (thank God).

Beautiful copy!!! Cool book!!!

Edited by CongoBill

There is one of the other ped JIM 6, I understand there may be a nice RC copy also, can anyone confirm?

As for what to do with it, just tuck that sucker away, and pull it out every now and again to give us a look.

Beauty, thanks for sharing John.

I wonder if there is a Spokane...

Pages off-white, crisp.

Very nice! :cloud9:

So, what do I do with this?

Pages off-white, crisp.

JIM6_zps8ac5e5da.jpg

JIM6BC_zps127d2ee9.jpg

Given our earlier conversation you could almost trade it for this...

mm6.jpg

So, what do I do with this?

Pages off-white, crisp.

JIM6_zps8ac5e5da.jpg

JIM6BC_zps127d2ee9.jpg

Given our earlier conversation you could almost trade it for this...

mm6.jpg

If you tossed in a little cash, he might :kidaround:

Pages off-white, crisp.

...... I'd think long and hard before I sold that one. I'm assuming you got it from Marnin about 15 years ago..... and while much cheaper then, it still probably wasn't cheap. I wish I'd had the foresight to preserve his list when this wave of Bethlehem's hit the market. Not too many more issues with a similar "WOW" factor ...... Do you need or want 6K ? If not, I'd just keep it..... and you can say "thank God" again in 12 more years lol GOD BLESS....

Do you need or want 6K ? If not, I'd just keep it..... and you can say "thank God" again in 12 more years lol GOD BLESS....

Bank on it, buying these books is certainly not easy, but it is far easier than holding them for extended periods - there are too many of life's cold skeleton hands (bills, distractions, temptation) reaching out to break your willpower.

If you can hold them you will be rewarded monetarily, sure, but also with that nebulous sense of joy you get by knowing you own one thing in this world that is rare and amazing...even if it is for just a short while.