• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

It is interesting that a Journey 6 could sell for the same price as a Marvel Mystery 6 in comparable grade.

It is interesting that a Journey 6 could sell for the same price as a Marvel Mystery 6 in comparable grade.

A different way to compare would be to ask how much the highest graded pedigree copy of JIM 6 would sell for relative to the highest graded pedigree copy of MM 6?

There'd be a pretty big imbalance in favor of MM 6 would there not?

Note: The JIM 6 hasn't sold for either the $6000 offer or the $8500 ask.

yeah but still less than a Marvel Super-Heroes #18 CGC 9.6, or a Star Wars #1 Price Variant in 9.4 or a Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.9 or comparable to a My Little Pony #12 from last year...(Record Scratching sound) :insane::o

http://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/humor/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-12-cover-b-sara-richard-1-million-edition-only-copy-produced-idw-publishing-2013-c/a/7097-91396.s

Edited by Comixcroz

Great book, white pages and a pedigree, but I don't know that it really looks that much nicer than the 6.5 Sparkle City sold for 2.5K back in January, and I suspect that price was a bit of a fluke. I can't see it selling for anywhere near 8.5K, but then I'm not the buyer for this sort of thing.

I think the sparkle city sold for 3.6K someone already bid 6.0K for this one...

I thought I recalled it selling for over 3K, but Sparkle City's website lists it as a $2,500 sale in their archives. Second chance sale? (shrug) I'm a little suspect of listed bids on Comiclink at times.There always seem to be a few books with bids of close to 90% of asking almost immediately - which looks really suspicious.

When Comiclink lists a book as pending - is it at the listed or accepted price? I will say that Menace #5 is sweet - looks nicer than a 7.5 in the scan. It also has a long history of being one of the more sought after Atlas PCH books.

The Sale Pending price you see is the price the book sold for.

yeah but still less than a Marvel Super-Heroes #18 CGC 9.6, or a Star Wars #1 Price Variant in 9.4 or a Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.9 or comparable to a My Little Pony #12 from last year...(Record Scratching sound) :insane::o

http://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/humor/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-12-cover-b-sara-richard-1-million-edition-only-copy-produced-idw-publishing-2013-c/a/7097-91396.s

When you put it that way, it looks like a bargain.

Menace 5 is a minor key, scarce in high grade and has not sold publicly in that grade so I'm not too surprised at that price.

Hi adamstrange - Just curious, but how is Menace 5 considered a minor key when it happens to have the first appearance of the most significant Atlas/Marvel character to ever come out of the Atomic Age? This is a special book that is uncharacteristic for an Atlas PCH. What other PCH Atlas character gets retconned 20 years later to star in his own mag? Moreover, the book happens to be one of Everett's best PCH covers imho and has one of the greatest PCH stories ever published in an Atlas book. A 1st app. of a character during a period where the practice in Atlas PCH was not to introduce characters.

Another attribute that makes Menace 5 special - it's sought after by a much larger universe of collectors. The degree to which Menace 5 is a key continues to evolve as more Bronze Age collectors discover Atlas/Marvel's greatest Zombie, Simon Garth.

Menace 5 is unlike any other Atlas PCH key - the book is defined by not one age of the comic book, but two. And this special historical path is what makes it a unique key.

My guess is that if this book went to auction, it would sell for a hell of alot more.

Respectfully,

John

I would consider Superman, Spiderman, Batman as "major keys." 'All of the Marvel Avenger characters' first appearances should probably be considered major as well.

I can't put Menace 5's zombie in that elite class of characters that have worldwide recognition. Some might even object to Menace 5 being a "minor key" but, for the reasons you suggest, I think it's appropriate.

Menace 5 is a special book (thumbs u

Menace5.jpg

I would consider Superman, Spiderman, Batman as "major keys." 'All of the Marvel Avenger characters' first appearances should probably be considered major as well.

I can't put Menace 5's zombie in that elite class of characters that have worldwide recognition. Some might even object to Menace 5 being a "minor key" but, for the reasons you suggest, I think it's appropriate.

Menace5.jpg

:applause::cloud9: Wow :applause:

Menace5.jpg

I don't disagree with you on Menace 5 having no place along side the major keys you note. No argument from me as to Simon Garth's place in the world outside horror. My comparison exclusively falls within Atlas PCH. Menace 5 can hold its own with any of the Atlas horror books published during that period. It is a major PCH Atlas key sought after by PCH and Bronze Age horror collectors.

Minor in the Universe but major in a Galaxy, or two. (thumbs u

Menace5.jpg

I don't disagree with you on Menace 5 having no place along side the major keys you note. No argument from me as to Simon Garth's place in the world outside horror. My comparison exclusively falls within Atlas PCH. Menace 5 can hold its own with any of the Atlas horror books published during that period. It is a major PCH Atlas key sought after by PCH and Bronze Age horror collectors.

I was writing in the Atlas thread in response to MrBedrock who is a casual PCH collector. Therefore, my use of "minor key" was in context of the "Comics Universe" rather than the "PCH Galaxy."

I don't think we are too far off in our assessment of the importance of Menace 5. :foryou:

Menace5.jpg

I was writing in the Atlas thread in response to MrBedrock who is a casual PCH collector. Therefore, my use of "minor key" was in context of the "Comics Universe" rather than the "PCH Galaxy."

I don't think we are too far off in our assessment of the importance of Menace 5. :foryou:

Agreed. But I always learn something about comic books through my correspondences with you (thumbs u

Menace5.jpg

Whoa...

Impossible to find in any presentable grade, and this is probably the nicest copy around.

Menace5.jpg

Whoa...

Impossible to find in any presentable grade, and this is probably the nicest copy around.

Is that a pedigree copy?

I don't know for sure, but it looks like one.

Well it's definitely an "adamstrange Pedigree Copy"

lol

Nope, not a pedigree copy.

A different way to compare would be to ask how much the highest graded pedigree copy of JIM 6 would sell for relative to the highest graded pedigree copy of MM 6?

Given the price asked on a 7.5 JIM 6 (as the highest graded) I would imagine that if a 9.0 or 9.2 were to pop up it would be priced at well over $10,000. The last 9.2 Marvel 6 sold for a little over $16K so they are do get comparable. Obviously the Mile High copy of Marvel 6 would go for at least double the 16K, so yes the scales are definitely weighted in Marvel Mystery's favor. But what I really find interesting is the fact that demand for pre-code Atlas has grown so tremendously that we could even be having a conversation comparing the two. I've always been able to sell Atlas horror fairly well, but historically they have not been the most desirable of the '50s comics in general and horror in particular. EC, Farrell, Avon and others were what were hot. Atlas would kind of tag along as horror would go through its periodic hot cycles. But now Atlas is driving the bus to such a degree that I would say it is maybe the single hottest genre in not just the '50s back-issues but in all of comics in terms of percentage price increases.

Given the price asked on a 7.5 JIM 6 (as the highest graded) I would imagine that if a 9.0 or 9.2 were to pop up it would be priced at well over $10,000. The last 9.2 Marvel 6 sold for a little over $16K so they are do get comparable. Obviously the Mile High copy of Marvel 6 would go for at least double the 16K, so yes the scales are definitely weighted in Marvel Mystery's favor. But what I really find interesting is the fact that demand for pre-code Atlas has grown so tremendously that we could even be having a conversation comparing the two. I've always been able to sell Atlas horror fairly well, but historically they have not been the most desirable of the '50s comics in general and horror in particular. EC, Farrell, Avon and others were what were hot. Atlas would kind of tag along as horror would go through its periodic hot cycles. But now Atlas is driving the bus to such a degree that I would say it is maybe the single hottest genre in not just the '50s back-issues but in all of comics in terms of percentage price increases.

...... I doubt the demand is as deep for the JIM as for the MM 6...... and once the demand is satisfied a correction for the Atlas book may occur. Atlas, however, is almost laughably underpriced in OSPG ..... which many folks still use as a gauge. It wouldn't surprise me to see certain issues ..... i.e., Menace 1, Venus 18, 19, etc.... in top census condition go for 10K with aggressive competition. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FRONTIER WESTERN 8 .....8.5......White....... $ 75,000 (Crandall, Morrow, Wildey)

* PERSONAL LIQUIDITY MUST BE VERIFIED *

FW8007.jpg

It's a very interesting development with Atlas PCH, MrBedrock. I've noticed it too (though not every PCH Atlas goes along for the ride, some covers are standouts moreso than others.) Where Atlas tends to go nuclear and get to a level I can't afford to buy at, I'm happy with the Atlas PCH I have, and concentrate on adding to my EC's, or Ajax-Farrells, or almost finally completing my Mr. Mystery run. There's fortunately, a lot of PCH variety to enjoy. :)