• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

This is probably the best, if not the only, thread in which this book fits: Rugged Action # 4, final issue of this 4-book run.

My guess is that they tried to cash in on the burgeoning Men's Adventure magazines trend but in comics format but it didn't take.

The title stopped early and was replaced with # 5 with Strange Stories of Suspense, a odd "horror" book (truly more a weird tales book than anything else) that was started after the inception of the code.

Rugged%20Action%204_zpsud5mrq92.jpg

Congrats on finishing the run.

I see 3 of these are from 1954. How's that collecting a year of Atlas coming along?

It's going but slow. I don't search for books as actively as I did in the past so I add books sparingly. Still, I've made some progress. I stand at 221 out of the 380 they put out that year. That's 58+% and I have 159 left. Good thing I don't have a deadline on these :)

Thank you for asking :foryou:

It's going but slow. I don't search for books as actively as I did in the past so I add books sparingly. Still, I've made some progress. I stand at 221 out of the 380 they put out that year. That's 58+% and I have 159 left. Good thing I don't have a deadline on these :)

Wow! That's a lot of books they put out that year. 221 is a big chunk out of that though.

Hopefully there's no Redskin #8 in that bunch.

Wow! That's a lot of books they put out that year. 221 is a big chunk out of that though.

Hopefully there's no Redskin #8 in that bunch.

Yes, 221 sounds impressive but I got there quickly mostly because I am very far along having all Atlas War books. That "pre-filled" many War series that ran through 1954.

Great copy, congrats! (thumbs u

I've always thought Everett but his tell tale style is in a lot of the faces and hands that he drew/inked. These figures are way too small to discern one way or another so Burgos is a possibility. hm

I've always thought Everett but his tell tale style is in a lot of the faces and hands that he drew/inked. These figures are way too small to discern one way or another so Burgos is a possibility. hm

Thanks Jayman.

I always thought Everett also but that was just ingrained in my head from seeing the notation on the CGC label the first time I saw a copy of the book.

Love the Speed Carter. Doesn't seem pure Everett to me if Everett is involved. Surprised AStrange didn't chime in. I assume he'd have if not the answer an educated opinion on the ID.

A couple more books from the Baltimore show.

First, Apache Kid # 16. Another entry as I try to collect all his appearances, esp. when the under-appreciated Werner Roth handles the art -

Apache%20Kid%2016_zps4ao7xnwd.jpg

Here's the splash to the first story -

Apache%20Kid%2016%20-%20Story%201%20Splash_zpshwibii9l.jpg

And a Devil-Dog Dugan where we get Sinnott for most of the book with just one other story by Pete Morisi (which isn't a bad deal to get) -

Devil-Dog Dugan # 2 - Stan really liked his alliterations from the get-go!

Devil-Dog%20Dugan%202_zpsyx5rc8fk.jpg

Story page from the "Liberty in Hula-Hula Land!" story - It's refreshing to read the War Humor books at times -

Devil-Dog%20Dugan%202%20-%203rd%20Story%20Page_zpsj7tgiipn.jpg

Thanks Jayman.

I always thought Everett also but that was just ingrained in my head from seeing the notation on the CGC label the first time I saw a copy of the book.

The #1 is not obviously pure Everett but the #3 issue would certainly appear to be and was done in the same style (graphite/charcoal on textured board).

http://www.comics.org/issue/75856/cover/4/

The overall quality of the #1 image speaks to Everett's involvement but there could have been some by Burgos.

And a Devil-Dog Dugan where we get Sinnott for most of the book with just one other story by Pete Morisi (which isn't a bad deal to get) -

Devil-Dog Dugan # 2 - Stan really liked his alliterations from the get-go!

Devil-Dog%20Dugan%202_zpsyx5rc8fk.jpg

Story page from the "Liberty in Hula-Hula Land!" story - It's refreshing to read the War Humor books at times -

Devil-Dog%20Dugan%202%20-%203rd%20Story%20Page_zpsj7tgiipn.jpg

Some nice Baltimore pick-up's Scrooge and it's always good seeing the interiors. I've never noticed the comic reading DDD cover before.

Thanks Jayman.

The #1 is not obviously pure Everett but the #3 issue would certainly appear to be and was done in the same style (graphite/charcoal on textured board).

http://www.comics.org/issue/75856/cover/4/

The overall quality of the #1 image speaks to Everett's involvement but there could have been some by Burgos.

Thanks for the input Scrooge and adam.

Love the staging on that Navy Combat # 15 -

the 4 guys on the sub are a progression from tallest to the one leaning the most, that's great

the flares of the shelling on the island reaffirms the form

the water rising in the foreground is fantastic

the water running out of the side of the sub

It all works so well.

Thanks for posting it :cool:

This is incredible work by Everett, done in his slicker illustration style. (worship)

He even has a boat named after him in this one.

Navy%20Combat%2015_zpscgbgt0hc.jpg

Love the staging on that Navy Combat # 15 -

the 4 guys on the sub are a progression from tallest to the one leaning the most, that's great

the flares of the shelling on the island reaffirms the form

the water rising in the foreground is fantastic

the water running out of the side of the sub

It all works so well.

Thanks for posting it :cool:

Thanks guys.

I never noticed that about the 4 men on the sub. It works really well.

Atlas Tales attributes both pencils and inks to Burgos, but it's hard to tell. The inking doesn't look especially like Burgos, but he had a variety of styles during his Atlas years.