• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

More from B'More ... but Westerns :sorry:

Both from 1954.

First, Wild Western # 33 meaning Black Rider by Syd Shores.

Wild%20Western%2033_zpswquuup5d.jpg

Satan is one badass horse. He can walk against a tornado. I'll give props to the story for the fight happening in and around a twister. How they can aim with the violent winds ... comic-book science :idea: -

Wild%20Western%2033%20-%20Syd%20Shores%20Black%20Rider%20Page_zpsj1xikggk.jpg

Kid Colt Outlaw # 37 - If Luke Cage gets a Netflix series, I am ready for the Kid Colt movie :popcorn:

Kid%20Colt%20Outlaw%2037_zpsxkud3klc.jpg

Kid Colt is of course by Jack Keller who has a tendency to like close-ups in his pages. Doesn't always work out great. Still, they liked him at Atlas. He stayed busy for a looong time. He always delivered consistently competent work though nothing jazzy about it.

In some respects, when I look at this page, it's not that much different than what D_ick Ayers or Joe Sinnott were delivering at the time. Keller had at least better control over the characters' faces than Ayers did and could also draw a better horse. Ayers' horses always have their legs akimbo and that makes my eyes hurt. So, Sinnott > Keller > Ayers.

Kid%20Colt%20Outlaw%2037%20-%20Jack%20Keller_zpse3mn2fey.jpg

Satan is one badass horse. He can walk against a tornado. I'll give props to the story for the fight happening in and around a twister. How they can aim with the violent winds ... comic-book science :idea: -

Wild%20Western%2033%20-%20Syd%20Shores%20Black%20Rider%20Page_zpsj1xikggk.jpg

I like this Shores Black Rider in a twister page even though he must have sewn his hat to his forehead.

Not too shabby.

Ringo%20Kid%201_zps7nfny7rg.jpg

That "not too shabby" should refer to your copy of # 1 :applause:

Here's my lowly # 2 (never scanned before) -

Ringo%20Kid%202_zps9msvjefg.jpg

:gossip: The horse on the cover dies in the second story :o [see below] Yes, I know it clearly does not have the same markings on the cover and in that story (check the head). Artistic license, I say.

Also, the non-Maneely story is a quick Black Rider by Syd Shores. Not nearly packing as much of a wallop as the twister story above but you could do worse for a filler.

Ringo%20Kid%202%20-%20Story%202%20Splash_zpslnzikne8.jpg

Here's my lowly # 2 (never scanned before) -

Ringo%20Kid%202_zps9msvjefg.jpg

I really like the cover to #2 and agree that a Shores filler is nothing to sneeze at.

Also, I just looked at my copy and agree that the soon to be dead horse is the one from the cover (and the first story).

Here's my copy visiting Yellowstone.

1YellowstoneNPRingoKid2_zps1d87af2d.jpg

I guess technically out of the golden age category, but close enough and its an atlas. I love this cover, which unfortunately has absolutely nothing to do with the story inside, which is just about a frozen caveman not an ice monster.

022.jpg

..I love this issue.... got a Williamson in it.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I had that book and sold it...Stories were lame, as they were with so many post code issues.

Would Journey Into Unknown Worlds #17 be more your style?

What I would love to see would be a scan or two of some of the Severin Ringo stories :wishluck: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....... also, would someone PLEASE sell me a high grade Billy Buckskin # 3 :busy:

Another one from the Toronto collection.

photo OUTLAW KID 1_zpscmh3ytry.jpg

It pretty obvious, that Maneely loved to draw westerns. The detail with the clothing, the boots and the gun holsters is amazing.

photo RINGO KID 14_zpse75se7cl.jpg

photo WYATT EARP 1_zpsozmcuqiq.jpg

photo WESTERN OUTLAWS 71_zpsj8l4ylx3.jpg

photo TEXAS KID 9_zpsvljcl1ip.jpg

Severin wasn't bad, either.

photo WYATT EARP 2_zpsw02jxtik.jpg

This one is from the "Toronto"collection dug up by Metro a few years ago.

photo RINGO KID 2_zpsfhaygk3h.jpg

Stop you are going to make me start collecting Westerns - great book.

What are you waiting for, yeehahhh!!!

photo WESTERN KID 1_zpsiwfihq5o.jpg