• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

I have fond memories of the Toronto collection, being from Toronto. The only collection to surface with all the Atlas "hero revival" issues.

So tell us more about the Toronto collection.

???

I believe those are the books you used to have stored in the back bedroom. Checked on them lately? hm

I have fond memories of the Toronto collection, being from Toronto. The only collection to surface with all the Atlas "hero revival" issues.

???

Well it should be called the Belleville collection after the small town east of Toronto where the collection originated. A man purchased them in the 50's, mostly Atlas, and kept them in very nice condition. Present were every issue of the hero revival, Young Men, Human Torch, etc. the only collection to boast this.

Upon his death the wife and daughter promptly brought them down to the bottom of the driveway to be picked up with the other trash, as women have done through the ages. The son-in-law saw this and put the treasues in his trunk, telling them he was off to do something. He drove to Toronto and landed at Paradise Comics, owned by Pete Dixon. Pete wanted to buy the collection, but couldn't come up with the money, so he suggested slabbing and auctioning them off on Heritage. Pete brokered the deal and received a handsome fee.

They tried for a pedigree, but CGC refused citing not enough keys and the grades weren't high enough. Most were mid-grade, but a number were high, highest in the census- sometimes only in census- since a lot of Atlas' are uncommon, even rare.

I saw and held a number of these books and can attest to their beauty. Fresh, glossy and with great pages. CGC missed the boat on this one. If the horde came to market now, they might think differently.

I wanted to purchase some before they went away, but was denied. Bid with everybody else. When I commented that the women folk must be happy with the outcome, I was told it was doubtful they even knew.

Edited by comicnoir

Really nice Westerns, Sheriff Starr! :applause:

Thanks for sharing the Toronto story, comicnoir. (thumbs u

???

Well it should be called the Belleville collection after the small town east of Toronto where the collection originated. A man purchased them in the 50's, mostly Atlas, and kept them in very nice condition. Present were every issue of the hero revival, Young Men, Human Torch, etc. the only collection to boast this.

Upon his death the wife and daughter promptly brought them down to the bottom of the driveway to be picked up with the other trash, as women have done through the ages. The son-in-law saw this and put the treasues in his trunk, telling them he was off to do something. He drove to Toronto and landed at Paradise Comics, owned by Pete Dixon. Pete wanted to buy the collection, but couldn't come up with the money, so he suggested slabbing and auctioning them off on Heritage. Pete brokered the deal and received a handsome fee.

They tried for a pedigree, but CGC refused citing not enough keys and the grades weren't high enough. Most were mid-grade, but a number were high, highest in the census- sometimes only in census- since a lot of Atlas' are uncommon, even rare.

I saw and held a number of these books and can attest to their beauty. Fresh, glossy and with great pages. CGC missed the boat on this one. If the horde came to market now, they might think differently.

I wanted to purchase some before they went away, but was denied. Bid with everybody else. When I commented that the women folk must be happy with the outcome, I was told it was doubtful they even knew.

...it's been a while, but I believe I recall that HA added in their catalog that the OO was an immigrant who utilized comics to learn the language and that he was a printer by trade. This is my only Toronto, it was top census but is no longer slabbed. It was a CGC 8.0... 8 years later, it is still top census.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

OjKGn4A.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

???

...it's been a while, but I believe I recall that HA added in their catalog that the OO was an immigrant who utilized comics to learn the language and that he was a printer by trade. This is my only Toronto, it was top census but is no longer slabbed. It was a CGC 8.0... 8 years later, it is still top census.GOD BLESS...

OjKGn4A.jpg

A perfect example of why this collection should be tracked. Probably best copy in existence. Did yours come with a certificate? Mine didn't.

I purchased it from Atlas Fan several years ago.... so I'm unsure about a COA..... But I do still have the CGC Label. This book was actually listed on an HA Sunday Auction..... back when I assumed all they put there was junque doh! Bill knew how much I like this book and offered it to me when he decided to sell. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

I purchased it from Atlas Fan several years ago.... so I'm unsure about a COA..... But I do still have the CGC Label. This book was actually listed on an HA Sunday Auction..... back when I assumed all they put there was junque doh! Bill knew how much I like this book and offered it to me when he decided to sell. GOD BLESS...

The CGC label doesn't mention Toronto. It never got a pedigree.

I just went to Heritage's archives to look over the Toronto collection. A lot of great hard to find books. And a lot of DC's. The Detective Comics 225 is a 7.0. Filled with obscure gems.

Edited by comicnoir

My memory sucks..... but I think it was the source of the top census of one of my favorite obscure DC's... Action 219. I wish I could locate the HA Catalog, but I think I may have gifted it to a friend. GOD BLESS...

My memory sucks..... but I think it was the source of the top census of one of my favorite obscure DC's... Action 219. I wish I could locate the HA Catalog, but I think I may have gifted it to a friend. GOD BLESS...

Go to HA archives and type in Toronto collection. You"ll see everything.

I just went to Heritage's srchives to look over the Toronto collection. A lot of great hard to find books. And a lot of DC's.... Filled with obscure gems.

Now that sounds like my kind of collection!

:)

A man purchased them in the 50's, mostly Atlas, and kept them in very nice condition. Present were every issue of the hero revival, Young Men, Human Torch, etc. the only collection to boast this.

Most were mid-grade, but a number were high, highest in the census- sometimes only in census- since a lot of Atlas' are uncommon, even rare.

I saw and held a number of these books and can attest to their beauty. Fresh, glossy and with great pages.

So few pedigreed collections are 1950's centered or even contain any Atlas titles at all from the 1950's. Off hand I can't think of any. Can anyone else think of such a collection?

???