• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

bigfiver69,

Excellent selection of Atlas War covers - War #11 is a definite classic, but some of those others are new to me - Battlefront 15 goes on my want list!

Welllllllll,

In addition to the F/VF copy of Battlefront #11 that I pictured here on the thread, it just so happens that I have a lower grade (G/VG, but flat and nice colour) copy of of that book that's looking for a home. A few others as well. If you're interested, rjpb, please drop me a PM - you are first in line for the book.

I'm away from home this week on business, but I can scoot you a front and back scan in a week's time when I return. Just lemme know.

Shep

Hey guys,

As promised, some Heath Atlas War covers. Man, I love these.

First up, perhaps the most sought after Atlas war cover - War Comics #11. Heath. Flamethrower. Godless Communists. That's a potent mix.

war11.jpg

Cheers!

Shep

Nice.

Reminds me of a song. "Communists roasting over an open fire".

Hey Jeffro,

Isn't that cover completely out of hand? Imagine the discussions in the Atlas bullpen that day..

Stan: Russ, I really like the way that you've rendered the burning flesh on these evil North Koreans.

Russ: Thanks Stan. I was going for something that said 'human blowtorch'. That sort of thing.

Stan: The open mouths screaming are a nice touch.

Russ: Thanks Stan.

Actually, there is a looooong tradition in war comics of flamethrower covers... a real niche in the genre, but hotly collected by a few sadists... er... enthusiasts. No question that Heath did many of the finest.

War #11 is without a doubt the most difficult of the Atlas war books to find (imho). For many years, it has been listed in Overstreet as being particularly violent. I got this VG+ copy off ebay three years ago for about $70, and frankly, I danced a jig. It is just a really difficult issue to find.

Shep

Hey Jeffro,

Isn't that cover completely out of hand? Imagine the discussions in the Atlas bullpen that day..

Yeah, it's great stuff. Nobody in the mid 50's would complain about commies being roasted. Well, maybe the commies would mind. insane.gif

Hey guys,

As promised, some Heath Atlas War covers. Man, I love these.

First up, perhaps the most sought after Atlas war cover - War Comics #11. Heath. Flamethrower. Godless Communists. That's a potent mix.

war11.jpg

Cheers!

Shep

Nice.

Reminds me of a song. "Communists roasting over an open fire".

Wow they didn't pull any punches back then did they.

I posted this in the silver age 10 centers thread a while back, but given the printing date (1952 foreheadslap.gif ) it probably fits better here. Battle Action #2, April 1952.

***edit***Judging from the scan at the Grand Comics Database, it looks like someone lifted the prior scan I posted of this book to post over there. 27_laughing.gifheadbang.gif My book is famous!

battleaction2-92.jpg

Edited by FFB

Here's one of my personal favoites. I wonder if Marie Severin did the coloring on these? Whoever it was did a great job, and the printing process gives the colors such depth and intensity. As I understand it, these were printed using lead-based inks, which was SOP at the time.

I'm not aware of the use of metals in the pigments of the Marvels. At DC there was definitely quite a bit of that during that time, though I'm doubtful of the use of lead specifically as typically it's other metals that are often used in color pigments. I'd love to hear from someone that has more details about the printing process from the time.

For what it's worth, my copy of The Lithographers Manual states that few inorganic pigments have acceptable brilliance for offset lithography (with lead chromate -- chrome yellow -- being one apparent exception). Most of the pigments that have acceptable brilliance are organic pigments, so as I understand this book, the brighter the colors, the less likely the pigments were lead based.

The best person to ask is probably DiceX though, as he is actually a printer.

It's another series which changed titles (in this case, from Spy Thrillers) and then was promptly cancelled, leaving only one issue bearing that particular title.

A similar occurrence with another Atlas series:

Devil-Dog Dugan changed its title to Tales of the Marines for issue 4, then became Marines at War for the last three issues (5-7).

So, there's only one issue of Tales of the Marines, though it wasn't the end of the line for the series.

Meanwhile Navy Action became Sailor Sweeney for 3 issues before reverting back to Navy Action.

thumbsup2.gif

Devil-Dog Dugan and Sailor Sweeney, plus Sgt. Barney Barker*, represented a very short-lived stab at military humor by Atlas in 1956. Each title lasted three issues before converting (or reverting) to more straightforward war fare (bad pun intended crazy.gif).

*Sgt. Barney Barker (1-3) becomes G.I. Tales (4-6).