• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

I just looked up the one-and-only Tales of the Marines (#4) on the GCD, and it looks like it consists entirely of Devil-Dog Dugan stories, and so remains in the humor format.

As you could probably guess by looking at the cover:

926341-1283_4_4.jpg

Meanwhile here's the next issue, to illustrate the change in title and content:

926344-1275_4_005.jpg

Better get out while you still can Scott, once you get bitten by the Atlas bug there's no turning back. poke2.gif

cloud9.gif

Too late! I love these books. This is the kind of stuff (along with pre-hero GA) that I am going to switch my focus toward when I start buying again. Much tougher to find and a lot more impressive in HG than Marvel silver age!

Too late! I love these books. This is the kind of stuff (along with pre-hero GA) that I am going to switch my focus toward when I start buying again. Much tougher to find and a lot more impressive in HG than Marvel silver age!

While I agree with your thinking, at least for me, it's harder to keep focused on a hobby if books that I want rarely come available.

I love L.B. Cole covers but haven't bought one in about a year since they are rarely offered for sale.

I've also sold a number of Atlas books over the past six months because I realized at this time it relatively impossible to put long runs together in HG. Yeah, I could pay five times guide to a certain dealer for ungraded HG copies, but even graded, the price is way too high.

Punyman: Here's an untrimmed cover for Strange Tales 60, along with a detail. I admire your taste. By the way, I admire those Heath covers as well.

st60.jpg

st60c.jpg

Thanks for posting , what a great cover to have in your collection!! 893applaud-thumb.gifStange Tales # 60 & World of Suspence # 6 Two of Bill Everett's greatest covers of all IMHO!!! 893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

While I agree with your thinking, at least for me, it's harder to keep focused on a hobby if books that I want rarely come available.

I love L.B. Cole covers but haven't bought one in about a year since they are rarely offered for sale.

I've also sold a number of Atlas books over the past six months because I realized at this time it relatively impossible to put long runs together in HG. Yeah, I could pay five times guide to a certain dealer for ungraded HG copies, but even graded, the price is way too high.

It's a trade off though. I lose interest in the thrill of the hunt if the only barrier to getting the book I want is my budget. That's like hunting fish in a barrel. The allure of looking at yet another copy of Spidey #14 in NM 9.4 has diminished greatly now that I've seen several copies in that grade or higher.

It's a trade off though. I lose interest in the thrill of the hunt if the only barrier to getting the book I want is my budget. That's like hunting fish in a barrel. The allure of looking at yet another copy of Spidey #14 in NM 9.4 has diminished greatly now that I've seen several copies in that grade or higher.

I don't disagree there.

That's why I don't collect Spidey at this time. 893whatthe.gif

But other Marvel titles / issues are much harder to get. Plus, part of the hunt for me is to pay a reasonable price. grin.gif

Still, I would love to collect other genres / ages, but I think I would need to be able to get several books at a time, so it would start to feel like a collection (or run) and not just one book from an odd publisher that I find cool. Those books start to lose my interest if I can't get other books similar to them.

AtlasT, that Journey Into Unknown Worlds 19 is just amazing. Love the story page you scanned too. Must seek this one.

Great splash. I'm not familiar with Larry W -- but I would agree that the pencils are atypical of Matt Fox. It could be Matt inking Larry or someone else.