• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,318 posts in this topic

I just finished reading the Hardcover edition of "Agents of Atlas" ,a collection of all 6 issues of the miniseries from several years ago. It features Jimmy Woo, Venus, Namora, Gorilla Man, Robot M-11, and Marvel Boy versus the Yellow Claw. Although not vintage 50's it does also reprint the first appearances of each of the characters. It was totally AWESOME.....check it out if you haven't already. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. If you prefer the actual comics, they're probably still available at a larger LCS.

Edited by jimjum12

1944, cool. Did Goodman run titles through Atlas until the 50's when he moved all the Timely superhero books under that brand or did it go dormant in the late 40's, early 50's when the market was shrinking?

Goodman had several companies going at all times ( for tax reasons I suppose), not all "Timelys" list Timely Publications in the indica, and I'm not sure that the handful of 40's books sporting the Atlas globe and the various Marvel Comics logos were actually "published" by those companies. When he started putting the Atlas logo on everything in 1951, he had 59 shell companies according to wikipedia ( though some were probably not used for his comic publications, but other magazines he published)

Seems like he toyed with idea of a company brand in the 1940s but evidently decided it was the characters and covers, not the logo that sold the book (at least until the 50s).

The above post has me wondering. Do collectors think of the Horror, Western and Crime books published by Goodman concurrently with the last of his GA superhero books in 48-49 to be Atlas books ( even if many sport a Marvel logo) ? Or are they considered Timelys?

The end of Atlas is a bit easier I guess, with Kirby replacing Maneely as Stan Lee's go-to cover guy after Maneely dies in 1958, which also comes a year after the Atlas implosion. I think most collectors think of 1959-61 cover dated books as pre-hero Marvel as opposed to Atlas, regardless of how Marvel titles the Masterworks collections from this period.

Very nice books (worship) I may have to finish the Annie Oakley run. So far I've just been interested in 1-4.

Just got this book in--another book that never comes up in nice shape.

I've never seen a copy this nice! Where did you get it? Dan DeCarlo is great.

Mike

The above post has me wondering. Do collectors think of the Horror, Western and Crime books published by Goodman concurrently with the last of his GA superhero books in 48-49 to be Atlas books ( even if many sport a Marvel logo) ? Or are they considered Timelys?

The end of Atlas is a bit easier I guess, with Kirby replacing Maneely as Stan Lee's go-to cover guy after Maneely dies in 1958, which also comes a year after the Atlas implosion. I think most collectors think of 1959-61 cover dated books as pre-hero Marvel as opposed to Atlas, regardless of how Marvel titles the Masterworks collections from this period.

I collect Atlas and start with the Nov/51 first books with the logo. I stop when they took it off, but many people lump the pre-hero books into Atlas. My understanding is that the employees of the company still considered it Timely throughout the 50s, Atlas was just on the cover of the comics.

Mike

Do collectors think of the Horror, Western and Crime books published by Goodman concurrently with the last of his GA superhero books in 48-49 to be Atlas books ( even if many sport a Marvel logo) ? Or are they considered Timelys?

Timelys

I think most collectors think of 1959-61 cover dated books as pre-hero Marvel as opposed to Atlas, regardless of how Marvel titles the Masterworks collections from this period.

Marvels

Very nice books (worship) I may have to finish the Annie Oakley run. So far I've just been interested in 1-4.

Just got this book in--another book that never comes up in nice shape.

I've never seen a copy this nice! Where did you get it? Dan DeCarlo is great.

Mike

I'd never seen a copy better than 1.8 lol

This one just popped up on ebay.

It's been a while since I added a horror book to the collection. Nice black cover with a jumping mummy :) The mummy story inside is a surprisingly nice job by Toni DiPreta. The book is rounded out by stories by Sinnott, Ayers, Sale.

115605.jpg.52b64f4ffe55a5672026209d9713c932.jpg