• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

Nothing pitiful about those Yellow Claws! :cloud9:

The 3 is a particularly cool comic book. Ted was calling them 7.5 and that seems about right to me. My scanner dulls out color and amplifies defects. Ted's grading has evolved over time...it seems pretty tight to me now. He has a # 1 still that is much nicer than these....9.0 range, but it was $1800 and a bit out of my range at this point. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a riend of jesus) (thumbs u

Paging Srooge....I know you work with www.atlastales.com a lot. OSPG lists # 2 as a Severin cover as does Atlas Tales, but it is obviously a Maneely masterpiece....possibly some Severin inking. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

scan0007-7.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

Paging Srooge....I know you work with www.atlastales.com a lot. OSPG lists # 2 as a Severin cover as does Atlas Tales, but it is obviously a Maneely masterpiece....possibly some Severin inking. GOD BLESS....

I don't know Jimbo, it's pretty clear to me that it's a Severin job. The figures in the circle are clearly by Severin and so is the inking for the entire cover + Severin typically (?) didn't sign unless it was his and this is signed SEV to the left of the right foot of the naval officer next to the door. Compare it to the Maneely cover on # 1 and it's quite different.

Thank you....I didn't see the sig......still looks like Maneely to me especially the tile roof and the YC figure....especially the hands.....but you're the expert and I've been wrong MANY times before. Thanks for responding so quickly, my friend. GOD BLESS...

Don't call me expert anything. Many many many more knowledgeable folks out there. I also checked my Black Knight / Yellow Claw Masterwork volume for ID before posting. Given that the ID in the volume probably went through Doc V., Jim Vadeboncoeur and Hames Ware, we should feel confident that the ID got vouched for by better eyes.

Well, while we're on topic, Atlastales has the interior of Black Knight 4 as Kida/Kida/Maneely, but there are 4 stories and it looks more like Maneely/Maneely/???/Maneely

You can't rely on the summary page for the credits. You have to click on the specific issue. The summary page only returns so many of the credits and generally not as many as are included in the book itself.

Plus, that way, you can see that the Maneely ID is for the text story illo.

AT lists then: Kida / Kida / Romita / Kida which is also listed in the MMW.

Funnily, on the T/A mailing list, some discussion of Kida took place last week, mainly focused on comparing Maneely's and Kida's work on the Ringo Kid, a character they also both drew (see below: Maneely on left, Kida on right). Aside from some stylistic difference in background work, their pencils are too different from each other.

I just looked over the Black Knight 4 and since both these guys turned in complete jobs: pencil & ink, the difference between BK 3 (Maneely) & 4 (Kida) is most clear when you look at the inking style. Kida uses longer ink lines to create volume compared to Maneely who prefer use shorter and at times fatter short dashes to convey volume. It's particularly evident when you compare their horses or muscle tones on figures.

Also, it would be strange for Maneely not to sign the stories as he always did. Stories in # 4 are not signed.

114963.jpg.f37d59cacfbc6138c5ec7f90a9a25a23.jpg

Ok, I'll take some pics. There is a background on one of the splash pages that is absolute Maneely. I've talked with Atlastales about another cover that I thought was Kida, but they had as someone else, so it wouldn't shock me

Ok, now I'm more confused. Stories 2 & 4 look like the same artist, probably not Maneely. Neither is signed. Story 1 doesn't look like Maneely after all, the splash does, but the rest does not, but it looks like a different artist than 2 & 4. Story 3 is signed by Syd Shores, so it ain't Romita.

I could see Kida on 2 & 4, and maybe on 1, but 1 looks different enough from the others to make me wonder.

At least I know about #3 :frustrated:

Re: "Story 3 is signed by Syd Shores, so it ain't Romita."

I was looking at issue # 4 with the Romita. You are looking at issue # 5 with the Shores.

All stories in issue # 5 are credited to Shores with Rule inks except for the Crusader story where it's Shores on Shores.

Re: "Story 3 is signed by Syd Shores, so it ain't Romita."

I was looking at issue # 4 with the Romita. You are looking at issue # 5 with the Shores.

All stories in issue # 5 are credited to Shores with Rule inks except for the Crusader story where it's Shores on Shores.

Yup. My brain no worky.

I didn't buy much in terms of Atlas at the Baltimore show (too busy trying to fill my Dell Jungle Jim run :insane: ) but I didn't want to pass up on this Heath cover -

One of my fave Atlas war covers! :applause: