• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eerie 23 Club
8 8

182 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2022 at 1:00 AM, Axe Elf said:

It looks like the last six issues sold on eBay within the last couple of months, and went from $50-$100, so I'm hoping it won't set me back too much more than that to add the final piece of the puzzle--although the only one listed there now is asking $599, so...

Don't worry, that listing has been getting mocked for quite awhile...

On 3/8/2021 at 11:45 PM, wombat said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eerie-Warren-23-FN-Warren-save-on-shipping-details-inside-/313447442979?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

$599 for an ungraded fine copy of eerie 23. And he is using a stock photo. Great combo of extreme laziness and crack pipe pricing. 

On 2/18/2022 at 7:45 AM, Jayman said:

@Axe Elf Welcome to the boards!

Do you have the yearbooks also?

Eerie 1970 Yearbook.JPG

I have three, '70, '71 & '72.  Are there any others?

On 2/18/2022 at 8:40 AM, darkstar said:

Don't worry, that listing has been getting mocked for quite awhile...

I actually contacted the guy to see how he arrived at that price (this was yesterday):

axeelf:

$600? The last six copies of this issue sold on Ebay went for $99.95, $99.99, less than $55 (Best Offer accepted), $49.99, $100, and $59.99.

What makes this item worth $500 more than each of those, some of which were in better condition than this? Is it autographed or something?

cyberspacecomics

dang! Those prices are incredible bargains. My last copy sold over a year ago for $250 shipped. If you see another one of those posted dirt cheap, I'd recommend buying them.

axeelf:

Well thanks, I plan to! lol

But if there are six sales for $100 or less in the last two months, they can't be all that uncommon.

And I have to ask again, if your last copy sold for $250 shipped, what makes this one worth another $349.99 before shipping?

cyberspacecomics

It's my last copy and I don't mind holding on to it until the market reaches my price point.

axeelf:

lol Ok... with the current inflation rate of 2.5%, that should happen in about 40 years.

Good luck!

cyberspacecomics

You are aware that "good" collectibles outpace inflation, right?

axeelf:

So 30 years?

cyberspacecomics

BINGO!

BTW, if your username is a reference to Harold Faltermeyer, I commend you.

axeelf:

lol... No, but I get that "Axel F" reference a lot. I've axually used this handle since I first signed on to AOL back in 1994, the AXE standing for "Animal X Enterprises" (a little hobby/business I had at the time) and my first wife's initials (ELF). It was supposed to be an account for both of us to use, but over time, "Axe Elf" became my universal online alter ego.

Of course you can ask whatever price you see fit; I just saw your price as a major outlier and wondered if there was something special about the comic, like an autograph or something.

Nice talking to you; I hope you find a buyer!

On 2/17/2022 at 11:00 PM, Axe Elf said:

This is a fascinating thread to me.  So fascinating, I signed up for membership just to post in it.  This will be my first post on this site.

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you!

I personally only have about 30 issues of Eerie, but it's only recently that I started working on the major Warren titles.  I've got complete runs of Help!, The Spirit, and The Rook... but nowhere close on Creepy or Eerie. 

There's always more to look for, no collector I've ever heard of has everything.  But the hunt is a large part of the fun!

On 2/18/2022 at 12:17 PM, Axe Elf said:

I have three, '70, '71 & '72.  Are there any others?

Nope that’s it! I did misspeak though as the 70 is a yearbook and the 71 and 72 are technically annuals.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:03 PM, Jayman said:

Nope that’s it! I did misspeak though as the 70 is a yearbook and the 71 and 72 are technically annuals.

Is there an industry-standard difference between a yearbook and an annual, or is the difference only the difference in the word that is printed on the front cover?

Well, I thought I was joining the Club tonight, about six weeks after I joined this site just for this thread--but I got stopped at the door.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185346929814

My max bid was $250, which I already thought was a bit of an overpay, but given that this is the last piece I need to complete my EERIE run (well, except for #1, but I'll never have #1), I was willing to throw a little bank at it.  In a way I'm almost thankful I din't win at like $245 or something, which would make it more like $300 when the taxes and shipping were paid--and it kind of feels good to know that I made someone else pay $255, when the winning bid 10 seconds before the auction closed was $106.66.

So hopefully Patience will pay off eventually, but I get tired of her games sometimes...

On 3/24/2022 at 12:43 AM, Axe Elf said:

Well, I thought I was joining the Club tonight, about six weeks after I joined this site just for this thread--but I got stopped at the door.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185346929814

My max bid was $250, which I already thought was a bit of an overpay, but given that this is the last piece I need to complete my EERIE run (well, except for #1, but I'll never have #1), I was willing to throw a little bank at it.  In a way I'm almost thankful I din't win at like $245 or something, which would make it more like $300 when the taxes and shipping were paid--and it kind of feels good to know that I made someone else pay $255, when the winning bid 10 seconds before the auction closed was $106.66.

So hopefully Patience will pay off eventually, but I get tired of her games sometimes...

I'm a newb at pricing these compared to some other venerable posters here, but that was a very strong price for a VG and you're better off waiting for the good lady Patience to pay off.

You should make an alert and try to pick off one of the occssional BIN that pops up, posted by a seller who uses the guide or just chooses a reasonable average of past sales. It is very tough to do when you're really itching for a book but it does occur. 

On 3/24/2022 at 5:48 AM, Surfing Alien said:

I'm a newb at pricing these compared to some other venerable posters here, but that was a very strong price for a VG and you're better off waiting for the good lady Patience to pay off.

You should make an alert and try to pick off one of the occssional BIN that pops up, posted by a seller who uses the guide or just chooses a reasonable average of past sales. It is very tough to do when you're really itching for a book but it does occur. 

Agreed that that was a very strong price right now.  But, given how some other Warrens are jumping at the moment (thinking Vampi #1 specifically), I could see that looking like a reasonable price in six months.  Particularly since Eerie #23 seems to have been chosen as the must-have cover from the Warrens these days.

It's a good choice, as this club proves.