• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

BTW, I have a very embarassing story reguarding a Sup #20 About 3 years ago, I was in my LCS. A few weeks before that, I had purchased an raw Action #27 on ebay supposedly advertised as UNRESTORED! It turned out to be restored with a small amount of glue on the cover. The LCS had some GA in the case. It was hard to make out the books. I asked "could I see the Action #20?" He gave me the book. I was paying such close attention to the spine, that it took me more than 2 minutes before I realized it was a Sup #20 :blush:

BTW, I have a very embarassing story reguarding a Sup #20 About 3 years ago, I was in my LCS. A few weeks before that, I had purchased an raw Action #27 on ebay supposedly advertised as UNRESTORED! It turned out to be restored with a small amount of glue on the cover. The LCS had some GA in the case. It was hard to make out the books. I asked "could I see the Action #20?" He gave me the book. I was paying such close attention to the spine, that it took me more than 2 minutes before I realized it was a Sup #20 :blush:

I have been utterly disappointed with the quality of books I have won on Ebay. They have, for the most part, been seriously overgraded, including a Superman 36. Getting a restored book advertised as unrestored is outrageous.

Do you all typically buy your golden age books slabbed to avoid the "Ebay" misrepresentation issues?

Do you all typically buy your golden age books slabbed to avoid the "Ebay" misrepresentation issues?

With the few raw books I've bought on ebay, I end up dissapointed probably half the time. I now typically avoid raw books on ebay because usually we have no idea if the seller can grade accurately or can detect restoration. I make exceptions if I know the seller, or they are a known, respected comic dealer.

Buying CGC books gives a good piece of mind from a grading & resto check standpoint. You can always crack it out of the slab if you want to read it too.

I have been utterly disappointed with the quality of books I have won on Ebay. They have, for the most part, been seriously overgraded, including a Superman 36. Getting a restored book advertised as unrestored is outrageous.

Yes, either CGC graded or buy from a reputable dealer, such as Metropolis, Bedrock City, Quality Comics, Superworld, anyone who will offer returns should a raw book turn out to be restored when it was sold as unrestored,.

also, buying from board members here in the For Sale threads is usually a safe bet as well.

About 24 out of my 29 Actions that I currently have were purchased raw.

About 6 from James Payette

About 3 from Metro

About 4 from forum members

The rest from ebay.