• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is used to be my happy place....
4 4

184 posts in this topic

And also a general note for those looking for news in these times, and future times...try to separate opinion from fact from hyperbole, and I know its sometimes difficult based on the way its presented, especially in your favorite channel or website (whoever you may be).  And if you want opinions, try to evaluate the credentials of the opinion maker, and their potential motivations for said opinion.  Also consider making your own devil's advocate argument AGAINST whatever it is you think you (or your favorite commentator) believes.  But we need to all do our best to stick to facts.

I promise you we all have more in common than we think: 

For example, we all agree JRJR has not been good at art since the 80's.  But we ALSO all agree that he's been better at art than Frank Miller after the 80's.  And we also all agree that Episode 2 was the worst of the Star Wars movies.

8 minutes ago, revat said:

And also a general note for those looking for news in these times, and future times...try to separate opinion from fact from hyperbole, and I know its sometimes difficult based on the way its presented, especially in your favorite channel or website (whoever you may be).  And if you want opinions, try to evaluate the credentials of the opinion maker, and their potential motivations for said opinion.  Also consider making your own devil's advocate argument AGAINST whatever it is you think you (or your favorite commentator) believes.  But we need to all do our best to stick to facts.

I promise you we all have more in common than we think: 

For example, we all agree JRJR has not been good at art since the 80's.  But we ALSO all agree that he's been better at art than Frank Miller after the 80's.  And we also all agree that Episode 2 was the worst of the Star Wars movies.

And Empire was superior to ROTJ.

-slym

On 3/17/2020 at 5:50 PM, Jordysnordy said:

With the world falling apart, I seem to have lost my desire to visit the boards as much as I used.

I hope this will change sooner than later but for now my heart isn’t in it, which is too bad as I love this hobby but other worries have taken over, especially when day to day life as we know seems to be changing every minute.

Stay safe everyone and hopefully life will return to normal sooner than later.

It's been stressful for everyone, hang in there!

It's inevitable that we will all 'bite the bullet' one day, We can take precautions, measures, whatever you will with this 'virus' but the worst thing we can do is allow it to change our way of life.

It cannot be otherwise, we will die, but we might as well be happy while we live. What is the point of going out of our way and living in constant fear?

3 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

It's inevitable that we will all 'bite the bullet' one day, We can take precautions, measures, whatever you will with this 'virus' but the worst thing we can do is allow it to change our way of life.

It cannot be otherwise, we will die, but we might as well be happy while we live. What is the point of going out of our way and living in constant fear?

People keep saying this about Covid-19.

The virus is not a death sentence for everyone and to be avoided because you will kick the bucket if you get infected. Most of us may not even feel it if we're infected. This is not about whether you or I will live or die.

It's really more about what people are willing to do to prevent their neighbor from getting it as they may die from it.

I still go through phases where I leave here for a couple months and then return. I always come back. I usually drop on here to get my mind off life, it’s a great place for that. If you need a break my advice is to take one. Come back when you feel the love and passion again.

I am a reader and collector, I don’t have an expensive collection and I don’t buy to invest. I wouldn’t mind seeing comic prices drop back to what they were before the movie hype drove them all up. Sucks for those that invested but great for those that collect to read.

Edited by kidcolt

8 hours ago, revat said:

Go find that Brubaker Daredevil stuff, phenomenal.

I didn't think anything would surpass Bendis' run but Brubaker killed it. Just like he did with Captain America. It's great when a writer gets that much time to tell his story. Those are the runs that tend to stand out. If I might add another suggestion I really liked Hickman's Secret Warriors run (collected in Vol 1 & 2) as well as Warren Ellis' run on Thunderbolts. In fact, that whole Thunderbolts run during the Dark Reign event was pretty great.

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

That sounds like fun. You can take the first minute to deliver a public service announcement about washing hands and social distancing. You can wear a sun costume like this and call the segment, "Cory the Coronavirus' helpful hints to keep me at bay".  :facepalm: 

shopping.jpg

My wife dressed as Ebola to a Halloween party 4 or 5 years ago. There were doctors there dressed as Ebola patients and doctors coveted in blood. Terrible

5 hours ago, PopKulture said:

And the outlets that night after night held up Michael Avennati as a legitimate presidential hopeful, have they done much to maintain a modicum of credibility over the past few years? They don't try to report the news: they traffic in hyperbole that passes as analysis to boost their ratings and fill their corporate coffers. Other examples of their misinformation are legion, but what's the advantage of going off into these tangential weeds if not to pick at the same old scabs?

I've always thought you have interesting points to share, but overwhelmingly so when objectivity guides your musings, not when you're looking to score thinly-veiled political points. :foryou:

Was China pursuing some angle to hurt trump by taking this seriously? All these other countries? I just don't get this dismissive attitude towards the views of very concerned scientists about how bad this can be without precautions. That part is not a partisan issue. Maybe faulting trump for not taking this seriously initially is, but We are way past that.

Think of it this way, last I heard there was 127,000 cases around the world:

127,000/7.7 billion people X 100 = 0.0016% of the human population has the virus. If it increases 100 fold  it still won't break 1% of the population. 

Edit: I just googled this, for comparison the Spanish Flu infected 27% of the human population.

Edited by Xenosmilus

5 hours ago, PopKulture said:

And the outlets that night after night held up Michael Avennati as a legitimate presidential hopeful, have they done much to maintain a modicum of credibility over the past few years? They don't try to report the news: they traffic in hyperbole that passes as analysis to boost their ratings and fill their corporate coffers. Other examples of their misinformation are legion, but what's the advantage of going off into these tangential weeds if not to pick at the same old scabs?

I've always thought you have interesting points to share, but overwhelmingly so when objectivity guides your musings, not when you're looking to score thinly-veiled political points. :foryou:

that insufficiently_thoughtful_person was on the fake news channels 254 times over the course of that year in 2018, he was on the only semi=balanced channel twice

the fake news loved Avennati even though your average person could tell in five seconds he was a shyster,,, and yet fake news loved him

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

What a week! I've been away for a few days, looks like I've missed some stuff. I usually use the boards to kill some time at work, but as of Monday morning I'm working from home (which is something I never thought would happen) and the truth is that there isn't much work to be done! When that's the case in the office, I can turn to the boards. But at home I've got a lot of competitors for my attention during downtime,  including the wife (who still has to go in to her office two days a week), the cats, the front porch, and all of my junk.  So I haven't given the boards much love lately.

I understand completely. :wink:

1 hour ago, the blob said:

My wife dressed as Ebola to a Halloween party 4 or 5 years ago. There were doctors there dressed as Ebola patients and doctors coveted in blood. Terrible

This would make a dandy Halloween costume this year. This one comes in children's sizes too, for kids with a dark sense humor.

child-plague-doctor-costume.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Was China pursuing some angle

Ding, ding ding...(bells ringing). Without going into detail and going against forum policy, the entire scenario of what we are facing now and why we are facing it can be explained by two simple phrases.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend

and one 4 word phrase we've all heard over and over since election day, 2016.  "By any means necessary". People do have a tendency to tell you exactly what they are planning and exactly what they are going to do, if we just.... listen, and take the words at face value without dismissing them. When certain serious people seriously say, "By any means necessary" over and over again, you can bet they mean it. To me, that means that nothing is off the table, especially if all else has failed to elicit the desired result. Think of Wiley Coyote after the roadrunner, one day so tired of trying to catch him that he decides he'll do himself in if he has to to accomplish his goal. That's what "By any means necessary" really means.

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
17 hours ago, F For Fake said:

What a week! I've been away for a few days, looks like I've missed some stuff. I usually use the boards to kill some time at work, but as of Monday morning I'm working from home (which is something I never thought would happen) and the truth is that there isn't much work to be done! When that's the case in the office, I can turn to the boards. But at home I've got a lot of competitors for my attention during downtime,  including the wife (who still has to go in to her office two days a week), the cats, the front porch, and all of my junk.  So I haven't given the boards much love lately.

I understand completely. :wink:

Helps to explain the toilet roll shortage I suppose.

618084046_policesquad.gif.48368345bccec6a5fa76a1b395731f3e.gif