• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What matters to you: grade, cover cut, or page quality?

Which matters most to you when buying High Grade CGC books?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Which matters most to you when buying High Grade CGC books?

23 posts in this topic

The problem with the question is that they ALL MATTER.

But since most collectors draw a line a the minimum grade acceptable, then the page quality and quality of production only matters if the book meets that minimum grade.

But since most collectors draw a line a the minimum grade acceptable, then the page quality and quality of production only matters if the book meets that minimum grade.

I think Sterling is talking about something like this scenario....

1. 9.6 OW miscut (grade)

2. 9.4 W miscut (PQ)

3. 9.4 OW centered (QP)

Depending on which one of the above 3 you choose, that would be the aspect most important to you. At least, that's how I interpreted his question. confused-smiley-013.gif

...I have a threshold for each,....If the book is not presently in my collection then the grade must be at least a 9.4 unless there are no 9.4's in the census,...then it has to be at least ow,..no cow,...and it can't be a diagonal cut or have more than 1/8 of an inch of spine showing on a miswrap,....

....If I already own the book and a better copy comes along then it depends on the cut and page quality,....I would never replace say an ow/w 9.4 with good centering for a 9.6 or 9.8 that had a lousy cut or ow pages,...in fact I rarly upgrade at all unless it is a key book....

Since I collect lower to mid-grade Golden Age books for the love of it and not so much the quick turn around or investment aspect, page quality matters the most for endurance and handling, I'd rather have an acceptable vg with white pages than a vf with tan.

Echoing what some others have touched on, in my view, you can't separate the three.

My most important criteria is EYE APPEAL which is a subjective evaluation of the net effect of all 3 qualities in combination. In some cases I'd prefer a slightly lower "technical" grade over a higher grade with unsightly centering. In other cases I'd prefer a higher grade with OW pages than a lower grade with W pages.

Interesting question, but I don't think many collectors will commit to an absolute answer.

One of the things I like that hasn't been mentioned is white backs cloud9.gif

But if the book is off centered by more than 1/8" I'll many times take the one grade lower.

The worst however is a crooked cut with lots of white.

If the book isn't slabbed I'll be a little more forgiving. I figure, if I'm going to shell out the big bucks for the book, I want it to look just right.

I personally only care about the condition of the CGC case... I hate buying CGC cases that have small scratches on them or those that show visible wear and tear.

Towards that end, I'm announcing plans to start a new company.. one that will encapsulate CGC cases to preserve their condition.

My last magazine CGC holder came all damaged in transit (1.5 inches broken off the lower edge).. so obviously that one's now used as a coaster. tongue.gif

I personally only care about the condition of the CGC case... I hate buying CGC cases that have small scratches on them or those that show visible wear and tear.

Towards that end, I'm announcing plans to start a new company.. one that will encapsulate CGC cases to preserve their condition.

sign-funnypost.gif I, on the other hand, am going to start a company that restores holders to make them look as good as new. The good news is that it is our unequivocal policy not to press slabs. Apparently, it's not a very effective restoration technique... frown.gif

My last magazine CGC holder came all damaged in transit (1.5 inches broken off the lower edge).. so obviously that one's now used as a coaster. tongue.gif

I can relate. I use the CGC holders that come back with a 9.2 label the same way. tongue.gif

My most important criteria is EYE APPEAL which is a subjective evaluation of the net effect of all 3 qualities in combination. In some cases I'd prefer a slightly lower "technical" grade over a higher grade with unsightly centering. In other cases I'd prefer a higher grade with OW pages than a lower grade with W pages.

I agree with the vote for eye appeal. I will often take a book that is in less then perfect condition but has a lot to offer in the eye candy department. I can even ignore a little ink or marker on the book if the overall eye appeal of the book is retained.

Here's an example of a book that I think has great eye appeal but as you can see the spine has seen better days. Call me crazy. insane.gif

MIS59.jpg

Hmmmm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But viewed another way, I'll take anything above 9.0 for my personal collection, providing the eye-appeal is there.

But I'd never take anything with a mis-wrap...9.4s and 9.6s included.

So in my case, the numeric grade is moveable, but the QP isn't.

good point, Rip. I hate it when a HG book comes to me and I flip it over, and it looks like a friggin mess. I personally use a dry eraser specifically for comics to clean em up, as that is one of my pet peeves. Still haven't had the time to try wonder bread.

I won the Don Rosa HOM 209 9.6, but the cut is for nothing. I've waited three years so this will stay until I find one with a better cut in the same grade or better. I didn't even look at that kinda thing before I joined the boards bit now I am more fanatic about stuff like this-but not fanatic enough if I've been waiting a long time to find a book.

sign-funnypost.gif I, on the other hand, am going to start a company that restores holders to make them look as good as new. The good news is that it is our unequivocal policy not to press slabs. Apparently, it's not a very effective restoration technique... frown.gif

I can relate. I use the CGC holders that come back with a 9.2 label the same way. tongue.gif

I use the 9.2's for spitoons . . . 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

hi.gif

I think you should have refined the question because they all do matter. Do you mean if you have three different comics and all have the same grade but one has white pages, another a great cut? Clairify please.

He already did. gossip.gif