• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date Stamp (and Store Stamp) Love
14 14

563 posts in this topic

I've done some searching but can't turn up anything on this... I purchased a collection that had a few comics with local library stamps on the cover, not Library of Congress stamps. I'm guessing this affects the grade differently than a date or store stamp, but really have no idea. Anybody have any insights? 

This is quite different from the subject of this thread, but it's funny in a way.  In ASM #45, the brilliant minds of the Marvel Bullpen decided to give kids a chance to ruin what could eventually be a $20,000 comic book by leaving a panel with blank word balloons and encouraging kids to write their own dialogue!  My God.  In any case, below is my copy of ASM 45 and my copy of Marvel Tales #33, which reprints the story.  I am sure I bought these at two different times and maybe even from two different LCS's, but nobody can convince me they weren't at one time owned by the same local kid.  In those days, it wouldn't have mattered a whit to me if there was writing in these books - I wouldn't have noticed before buying them.

ASM 46 - writing.JPG

MT - 33 writing.JPG

Edited by MattTheDuck
typos

On 6/1/2021 at 10:03 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I bought about a half-dozen books with this stamp from this store in the 70s, mostly my beat-to-heck Bronze horror books.  This is the splash page from Vault of Evil #1.

VOE - 1 - armchair stamp.JPG

That was kind of a creepy place. If I remember correctly, it was in a house with chopped up rooms just over the bridge in Milwaukie? I have many books from that store, but don't recall the stamps. Maybe I came later when they had stopped? Makes me want to check.

Anyway, I got a lot of nice stuff from that store, both from the 60s and 70s. Pretty sure I found my copy of Sgt Fury 13 in NM there, along with a treasure trove of 20 cent Marvels in HG.

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

That was kind of a creepy place. If I remember correctly, it was in a house with chopped up rooms just over the bridge in Milwaukie? I have many books from that store, but don't recall the stamps. Maybe I came later when they had stopped? Makes me want to check.

Anyway, I got a lot of nice stuff from that store, both from the 60s and 70s. Pretty sure I found my copy of Sgt Fury 13 in NM there, along with a treasure trove of 20 cent Marvels in HG.

Yes - very small and definitely a former house.  Just over Ross Island bridge and a few doors down from a movie theatre that was playing "Deep Throat" during all the years (mid-70s) I was going over there.  I think when I was there they had a wall with shelving that had boxes of comics by title.  This was in the days before bags and boards.

6 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Yes - very small and definitely a former house.  Just over Ross Island bridge and a few doors down from a movie theatre that was playing "Deep Throat" during all the years (mid-70s) I was going over there.  I think when I was there they had a wall with shelving that had boxes of comics by title.  This was in the days before bags and boards.

I recall stacks of comics in various rooms, that were unsorted. I don't recall how the pricing was done. However, I used to put stickers on the bags I put them in, and I got a bunch of 20 cent Marvels I had missed that I bought from 20 to 35 cents - I still come across them in my boxes. I just looked at yelp reviews for the store, and apparently I wasn't the only person that found the place "creepy".

My sister lived up in the Terwilliger area, and I would walk down and catch the bus on Barbur Boulevard and go all over Portland to the various comic stores.  This was between 1973 and 1977, and later in 1978-up I had my own car. I remember lots of conventions at the Memorial Coliseum, and some downtown, maybe at a Masonic Temple or something (by psycho-Safeway?), and elsewhere. There must have been 30-40 shops in the area back in the "good old days" - full of geeks, creepy shop-owners and other shady characters. I used to work for my brother-in-law there in Portland and would go up every summer from about 1973 to 1978. Then, in January 1979 I got out of Redmond HS early on the work-release program (just what it sounds like :p), and was there from January to June, working to make money until graduation, and blowing most of it on comic books. :cloud9:  I even recall going over to some sewing/manufacturing sweatshop on the eastside of the river, and buying Silver Surfer 1 & 4 (maybe more) from the guy running the place. Have no idea how I found about the guy/comics, as it was in a garment factory, filled with sewing machines and women.

I found a picture of Armchair on the internet - I can almost smell it lol:

o.jpg

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I recall stacks of comics in various rooms, that were unsorted. I don't recall how the pricing was done. However, I used to put stickers on the bags I put them in, and I got a bunch of 20 cent Marvels I had missed that I bought from 20 to 35 cents - I still come across them in my boxes. I just looked at yelp reviews for the store, and apparently I wasn't the only person that found the place "creepy".

My sister lived up in the Terwilliger area, and I would walk down and catch the bus on Barbur Boulevard and go all over Portland to the various comic stores.  This was between 1973 and 1977, and later in 1978-up I had my own car. I remember lots of conventions at the Memorial Coliseum, and some downtown, maybe at a Masonic Temple or something (by psycho-Safeway?), and elsewhere. There must have been 30-40 shops in the area back in the "good old days" - full of geeks, creepy shop-owners and other shady characters. I used to work for my brother-in-law there in Portland and would go up every summer from about 1973 to 1978. Then, in January 1979 I got out of Redmond HS early on the work-release program (just what it sounds like :p), and was there from January to June, working to make money until graduation, and blowing most of it on comic books. :cloud9:  I even recall going over to some sewing/manufacturing sweatshop on the eastside of the river, and buying Silver Surfer 1 & 4 (maybe more) from the guy running the place. Have no idea how I found about the guy/comics, as it was in a garment factory, filled with sewing machines and women.

I found a picture of Armchair on the internet - I can almost smell it lol:

o.jpg

Well, that takes me back.  We were probably stumbling around the same stores at the same time.  I went to at least one CC at the Masonic Temple - all I remember about it is picking up a nice Avengers book there.  We lived in the west side suburbs, so I was also taking the Tri-Met over to the east side to feed the habit.  Not sure there were any shops in Beaverton or Hillsboro at that time.  I didn't even know there were places you could buy "old" comics until 1973.  I think I read about Old Weird Harold's in the Oregonian.  Ever go there?  Two morbidly obese sisters running the joint, selling ASM 101-121 three for $1. 

Wish I'd had your nose for searching out books at the time, and particularly wish I'd had more vision about quality and how to treat a comic.  I figured out the second part in short order, but bought a lot of what today would be low- to mid-grade stuff.  Lots of good memories nevertheless.

1 minute ago, MattTheDuck said:

Well, that takes me back.  We were probably stumbling around the same stores at the same time.  I went to at least one CC at the Masonic Temple - all I remember about it is picking up a nice Avengers book there.  We lived in the west side suburbs, so I was also taking the Tri-Met over to the east side to feed the habit.  Not sure there were any shops in Beaverton or Hillsboro at that time.  I didn't even know there were places you could buy "old" comics until 1973.  I think I read about Old Weird Harold's in the Oregonian.  Ever go there?  Two morbidly obese sisters running the joint, selling ASM 101-121 three for $1. 

Wish I'd had your nose for searching out books at the time, and particularly wish I'd had more vision about quality and how to treat a comic.  I figured out the second part in short order, but bought a lot of what today would be low- to mid-grade stuff.  Lots of good memories nevertheless.

The one at the Masonic Temple that I went to had Jim Steranko as a guest. My buddy from Redmond was a big fan, and got signatures on his books from him. I remember a Seattle comic shop was selling down at that convention, and had a stack of Sub-Mariner #1s, Iron Man / Sub-Mariner #1s, Iron Man #9s and others.  Anyhoo - that is where I got my copies of those books.

I remember the Old Weird Herald's name, but don't recall the store. In doing some quick reading on the internet, it looks like they sponsored several of the comic conventions in Portland. It really rings no bells in my memories, other than knowing of the name. 

Yeah - I remember all of the shops in Portland during the 70s being on the east side of the river. I think maybe Powell's books downtown advertised comics, but I think you had to ask to see them from behind a counter, which is maybe why I only went there once, as I hated that type of arrangement.

Armchair, Excalibur, Future Dreams, Apache and slew of others that I don't remember the names of.  I only remember going to Apache books once - driven there by my dad and brother. I bought a huge run of Thor from about #s140 to 170, for a then stunningly high price of $2.40 each - which was an OUCH in those days...., but they were all newsstand fresh, glossy..., beautiful. I think Apache was over on Union or Grand at the time.

Old Weird Herald's – Larque Press | The Digest Enthusiast | Pulp Modern

Here is a link to photo of a couple Herald sisters.  The Herald Sisters Meet Lone Ranger Clayton Moore | Left to … | Flickr

On 4/24/2021 at 7:54 AM, comicginger1789 said:

A store stamp from Edmonton Book Store!

Any western Canadians know of the place??

image.jpg

I spent a lot of time as a kid riding the bus to local book stores looking for comics.  I'm having trouble making out the address on the stamp.  Is it 10428 82 Ave?