• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date Stamp (and Store Stamp) Love
14 14

563 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

In those days, Marvel comics would hit the newsstand about 3 months before their publication date.  Since FF5 has a July pub date, and the stamp on your book has a month but no day, I suspect this may be a return stamp date (if unsold) rather than an arrival stamp date.

Oh interesting, so did Marvel (or the distributor) stamp it with the return date or did the newsstand stamp it and then send it back?

12 hours ago, Venomous72 said:

Oh interesting, so did Marvel (or the distributor) stamp it with the return date or did the newsstand stamp it and then send it back?

Marvel no, but otherwise I don't know.  Distributor possibly, although I suspect a return stamp might be more likely from a newsstand/drug store.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:12 PM, lizards2 said:

another birthday book..., :golfclap: 

I think I have just these two.  I know I have at least one with my wife's and dad's birthday.

Luckily we don't see many people advertising what dates they seek. I can picture today's brand of scammer customizing stacks of books.

On 9/13/2021 at 9:27 AM, MR SigS said:

I think I have just these two.  I know I have at least one with my wife's and dad's birthday.

Luckily we don't see many people advertising what dates they seek. I can picture today's brand of scammer customizing stacks of books.

I saw one that was just one day off my birthday in this thread. I don"t think I have ever seen my birthday - it was a Monday - not sure if that is good, bad, or just so.

How are you holding up with all the smoke and other BS?

this isn't mine, I was bidding on it but lost out. There are 5 of the same stamp on it. I am in NJ.

For Cheap Reading

Trade This At

MILES 2nd Hand Store

Tools Furniture etc.

512 Brady St.

DAVENPORT IOWA

35F575BA-255C-4481-A986-B75FB98D6895.jpeg

Edited by Bird

Got a good one in the post the other day -

1081484349_littleiodine.thumb.jpg.95543e78bba4218e8d99cfe2fa174030.jpg

Not something I'd normally get excited about, even for £1.

But check out the stamp -

hbsk.thumb.jpg.bebaaf2f39eba3233baeb6426425b858.jpg

Anyone else find a store stamp from as remote (and unlikely) a place as Karachi?

It's a new one on me & frankly, it gives me hope. If something like Little Iodine #40 (1958) found its way to a book stall in Pakistan, you could theoretically find anything anywhere if you just keep looking. No idea if this was floating around Karachi as a new or used item, but it's fun to think about. :cloud9:

Free Comic Book Day 1968?

No, but this "Compliments of Walgreens" DC Comic is from March, 1968. It's still in pretty nice shape, even maintaining cover gloss all these years after being stamped and given away, which I'm thinking was way back when. And as you can see from the back cover, which shows ink transfer from another stamped cover it was on top of, they likely had a big pile of these to give away.
(Possibly to kids who were being given an innoculation, to lessen the sting?)

wfwalgreen.jpg

wfwalgreen2.jpg