• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

It will be in the same place it is now... how has it really changed from 25 years ago? New things have been introduced, new type of clientele... but there are still comic shops, comic books, conventions, fans, collectors, passion.... that's all going to remain in the next 25 years.

Harsh truths can cause doubts, but my opinion is that as long as there is a medium there will be a market. I think theaters will open again, it will be a new normal though.

Established characters may have been built up enough and become easily spreadable in other mediums. Arcade1up just announced their new arcade cabinets today, there was the usual ms pacman or Deer hunter, but also there was marvel pinball and marvel vs street fighter.

There are progressions within every generation, but ideas in relation to common themes such as ideals or lessons are always transferred in some form.

Stan Lee #1 

What will speak to the next generation is always unknown, but the comic industry has been long and hard into the ideas market. If they're not the foundation then if comics are at least the roots of the new normal, it'll work out...

I don't wax philosophical, but I do remain an optimist!

:takeit:

It's a great question. I have no idea, but I love all the optimism here. 

I can tell you 25 years ago I didn't think people would be paying 4 and 5 figures for a Hulk 181. 

EBay, CGC and GPA have created access and information that have driven the industry forward.  I imagine innovation will continue to advance the hobby. 

As for demand. The delivery of content has continuously evolved. My sons (7 and 3) were introduced to these charectors by watching movies and reading graphic novels. I was introduced to them by after school cartoons and begging my parents to take me to comic shops. And my father was introduced by begging my grandparents for $0.12 at Williamson Pharmacy.  While the delivery of content was different , the characters and our interest in them was the same.  I think the media platform will continue to evolve, but new generations will continue to be introduced. 

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

so much can change in the future .. back in the 60's the top paid athletes were professional bowlers !! and bowling was one of the most popular sports on tv,.., these days pro bowling is on life support

I used to watch the pro bowler's shows.  Earl Anthony, Weber - looking back, for a slow "sport" it is amazing how much intrigue and excitement a close match can generate.

So I needed some throne-reading material yesterday and grabbed a Silver Surfer #4 that was lying around (1987 series). Sometimes when I want to torture myself I look at the back-issue prices in the ads from 1980s books.  Check out these AF15 prices (low grade, mid grade, high grade).  (Of course, in 1987 I was an 18 year old kid eating government cheese and heading off to college on scholarship.  But if I tried I probably could have scratched together a few hundred bucks.)

20200611_104721.jpg

20200611_104854.jpg

Edited by OuterboroGuy

13 minutes ago, OuterboroGuy said:

So I needed some throne-reading material yesterday and grabbed a Silver Surfer #4 that was lying around (1987 series). Sometimes when I want to torture myself I look at the back-issue prices in the ads from 1980s books.  Check out these AF15 prices (low grade, mid grade, high grade).  (Of course, in 1987 I was an 18 year old kid eating government cheese and heading off to college on scholarship.  But if I tried I probably could have scratched together a few hundred bucks.)

20200611_104721.jpg

20200611_104854.jpg

That is insane...