• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

A comic book is not more valuable than a residence.

A comic book could pay for a house

The question is not the value of collectibles vs homes or minimalism, it is a question of whether they will retain their value or not, you provided some topics that don't really pertain to collectibles

What you are saying is equivalent to the value of gold dropping because people find it to heavy on their hands

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

A comic book is not more valuable than a residence.

In terms of what's important in life then yes.

In terms of actual value, as has been said, there are certain comic books that will buy you several mansions....so no, on that basis your statement is wrong.

Edited by G G ®

No more floppies.

I think it was Flying Donut that said that we will see digital comics released on a monthly basis and then they MAY be collected into Trade Paperbacks to be sold as collections. 

49 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Well this statement is clearly untrue. I have a wonderful house, and if I sold it I would net a pretty penny. If Vinnie Zurzulo sells the Action Comics 1 in his vault, he could buy my house and have a couple million dollars left over.

Not really, though. If I could sell all of my comics and buy a house; I would. A residence is more important than a collectible.

As fascinating as these discussions are... they aren't new.  We see the same arguments over and over.  I was going back through CGC's archives, and found this discussion in the early days of the boards (this one's from 1932).  I'm lousy with the "quote function" so have re-typed the discussion here.  The participants were:

Foxtrot My Amadeus (FMA)

Thimble Theater Fan  (TTF)

Katzenjammer Kult (KK)

(KK):  So guys, I was just thinking... where do see you the comic market in say, the next 80-90 years?

(FMA):  The "keys" will always be hot... Peter Rabbit, The Gumps... these aren't going anywhere but up.

(TTF):  No doubt.  But everything's heating up across the board.  Investors would be wise to stock up now while they can.

(KK):  What about these rumors of new smaller paper-bound books coming out?

(FMA): No way these become popular.  A "comic book" must and will remain hardbound.  You can toss anything that comes out in a paper stapled format right in the trash.

(TTF):  I buy mostly to flip comics to kids down by the stockyards... what do you recommend I concentrate on?

(KK):  Buster Brown, of course, is the safe bet.  It will still be the most in-demand character a hundred years from now.  And there are rumors that Cecil B. DeMille may be producing a Foxy Grandpa movie... if so, look out!  Your Local Dry Goods shop won't be able to keep them stocked!

(FMA):  I never buy anything from an LDG.  Never any deals.  I trade for mine behind Old Man McElroy's barn.

(KK):  Peck's Bad Boy is solid.  Of course these are the keys everybody wants.  And the Flapper Girl Art collectors are driving up prices on Tillie the Toiler.  Still-- with all of the popularity of these new sound movies, do you think comics will fall by the wayside?

(TTF):  Not if they stick with good solid story-telling... nobody wants characters to get weird or surreal... Popeye is pushing the envelope, but people with silly abilities are never going to catch on beyond a niche market.  Humor is where it's at and always will be.  Mutt and Jeff rules! 

(FMA):  And good art.  I don't see how that Harold Gray keeps getting work!  He can't even draw eyes on Little Orphan Annie.  He knows nothing about anatomy!

(TTF):  The reality is these comics will keep growing in popularity and value.  I can predict that in 100 years we will see some comics fetching over $20 at auction!

(KK):  I don't know about that... but new generations will keep falling in love with this hobby (unless the staple-pushers ruin it)... This new Skippy character should be a hit... will run at least 100 issues.  Tarzan was fine in book-form, and Elmo Lincoln will always be the definitive movie Tarzan... but I don't see him transitioning well to comics beyond that Hardback from 3 years ago.

(TTF):  No... he's like Popeye... too much muscle... no comic collector wants to read about a character whose abilities are so far beyond the average person's.

(KK):  I agree with everything that's been said here... However, as much as I love my comics, I'm wondering that from a purely investor position if I shouldn't sell them all off and put my money into piano rolls?

(FMA):  Their steady rise in value over the years is tempting, sure... but you can't read a piano roll.  No art, no thanks. 

(KK):  Love the discussion guys... but I gotta go.  Harold Teen is on the radio, and I don't want to miss it.  Golly gee!  I wish someone would invent a way to record these programs so we could play them back later.  Anyway... good chat!

49 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

A comic book could pay for a house

The question is not the value of collectibles vs homes or minimalism, it is a question of whether they will retain their value or not, you provided some topics that don't really pertain to collectibles

What you are saying is equivalent to the value of gold dropping because people find it to heavy on their hands

Under certain circumstances a comic book "could" pay for a residence.

A home is still a home. A comic book is still just a comic book. You need a place to live/stay to survive. You don't need comic books.

42 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Um what?

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/39875/high-graded-amazing-fantasy-15-sold-auction-record-sum

That book sold for more than most of what the residences in my city are worth.

You need a home. You don't need comic books. Specific comic books may be worth more than specific homes, but necessities > hobbies.

43 minutes ago, G G ® said:

In terms of what's important in life then yes.

In terms of actual value, as has been said, there are certain comic books that will buy you several mansions....so no, on that basis your statement is wrong.

This proves my point. I never said that "all housing is more financially valuable than any comic book".

And there are mansions worth more than Action Comics #1.

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Not really, though. If I could sell all of my comics and buy a house; I would. A residence is more important than a collectible.

That's not what you said. You said :"A comic book is not more valuable than a residence" and that statement is clearly untrue. 

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You need a home. You don't need comic books. Specific comic books may be worth more than specific homes, but necessities > hobbies.

That's not what you said. You said :"A comic book is not more valuable than a residence" and that statement is clearly untrue. 

12 minutes ago, Bookery said:

As fascinating as these discussions are... they aren't new.  We see the same arguments over and over.  I was going back through CGC's archives, and found this discussion in the early days of the boards (this one's from 1932).  I'm lousy with the "quote function" so have re-typed the discussion here.  The participants were:

Foxtrot My Amadeus (FMA)

Thimble Theater Fan  (TTF)

Katzenjammer Kult (KK)

(KK):  So guys, I was just thinking... where do see you the comic market in say, the next 80-90 years?

(FMA):  The "keys" will always be hot... Peter Rabbit, The Gumps... these aren't going anywhere but up.

(TTF):  No doubt.  But everything's heating up across the board.  Investors would be wise to stock up now while they can.

(KK):  What about these rumors of new smaller paper-bound books coming out?

(FMA): No way these become popular.  A "comic book" must and will remain hardbound.  You can toss anything that comes out in a paper stapled format right in the trash.

(TTF):  I buy mostly to flip comics to kids down by the stockyards... what do you recommend I concentrate on?

(KK):  Buster Brown, of course, is the safe bet.  It will still be the most in-demand character a hundred years from now.  And there are rumors that Cecil B. DeMille may be producing a Foxy Grandpa movie... if so, look out!  Your Local Dry Goods shop won't be able to keep them stocked!

(FMA):  I never buy anything from an LDG.  Never any deals.  I trade for mine behind Old Man McElroy's barn.

(KK):  Peck's Bad Boy is solid.  Of course these are the keys everybody wants.  And the Flapper Girl Art collectors are driving up prices on Tillie the Toiler.  Still-- with all of the popularity of these new sound movies, do you think comics will fall by the wayside?

(TTF):  Not if they stick with good solid story-telling... nobody wants characters to get weird or surreal... Popeye is pushing the envelope, but people with silly abilities are never going to catch on beyond a niche market.  Humor is where it's at and always will be.  Mutt and Jeff rules! 

(FMA):  And good art.  I don't see how that Harold Gray keeps getting work!  He can't even draw eyes on Little Orphan Annie.  He knows nothing about anatomy!

(TTF):  The reality is these comics will keep growing in popularity and value.  I can predict that in 100 years we will see some comics fetching over $20 at auction!

(KK):  I don't know about that... but new generations will keep falling in love with this hobby (unless the staple-pushers ruin it)... This new Skippy character should be a hit... will run at least 100 issues.  Tarzan was fine in book-form, and Elmo Lincoln will always be the definitive movie Tarzan... but I don't see him transitioning well to comics beyond that Hardback from 3 years ago.

(TTF):  No... he's like Popeye... too much muscle... no comic collector wants to read about a character whose abilities are so far beyond the average person's.

(KK):  I agree with everything that's been said here... However, as much as I love my comics, I'm wondering that from a purely investor position if I shouldn't sell them all off and put my money into piano rolls?

(FMA):  Their steady rise in value over the years is tempting, sure... but you can't read a piano roll.  No art, no thanks. 

(KK):  Love the discussion guys... but I gotta go.  Harold Teen is on the radio, and I don't want to miss it.  Golly gee!  I wish someone would invent a way to record these programs so we could play them back later.  Anyway... good chat!

Mutt and Jeff. I'd lay in a lot of Mutt and Jeff!

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

This proves my point. I never said that "all housing is more financially valuable than any comic book".

And there are mansions worth more than Action Comics #1.

I was throwing you a bone by putting that in there.

And now you're changing your position by saying that some residences are more valuable than the most valuable books. You could go round and round in an argument with fluid parameters like you are employing.

I really think you just throw stuff out there to be disagreed with.

I think you are the ultimate Devil's Advocate. 

Nothing wrong with healthy discussion but it does get tiresome when someone just wants to always contradict opinion just for the sake of it.

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

It is true, though.

General rule: Residence > comic book.

Specific comic books compared to specific homes are exceptions to the rule.

1 minute ago, G G ® said:

I was throwing you a bone by putting that in there.

And now you're changing your position by saying that some residences are more valuable than the most valuable books. You could go round and round in an argument with fluid parameters like you are employing.

I really think you just throw stuff out there to be disagreed with.

I think you are the ultimate Devil's Advocate. 

Nothing wrong with healthy discussion but it does get tiresome when someone just wants to always contradict opinion just for the sake of it.

The rule is the rule. Exceptions to rules typically exist. I didn't "change my position". All I stated was the general rule.

I'll make it simple for you, since you just want to play word games, and then throw out alleged fallacies when the intent is reiterated:

When I said, "a comic book is not more valuable than a residence", I meant it as 'a rule of thumb'. Argue, if you'd like, but it's true. Clarifying that you're conveying a rule of thumb does not mean you're moving goal posts.

You can cherry pick the monetary value of comic books and houses to make different points. This is all tangential to the discussion of minimalism. Minimalism is about necessities (which homes are). I will simply leave it at that.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

When I said, "a comic book is not more valuable than a residence", I meant it as 'a rule of thumb'.

I don't think anyone here has yet developed mind-reading as their superpower.

You should say what you mean then.