• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Worst Thing Your Significant Other Has Said About Your Comic Hobby
1 1

76 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, kav said:

Not a significant other but when I was 11 my dad put all my comics in the bathtub.  It was the most devastating thing that had ever happened to me.  If he only knew merely destroying one comic would have been the ultimate punishment.  My dad had a habit of destroying my toys for punishment like my lost in space robot he hurled to the ground.
He later went to therapy and worked on himself incessantly and became pretty much a saintly individual.

Sorry to hear that Bluh!

Water & comics don't mix!

Glad you were able work things out with your father! 

1 minute ago, Comics4All said:

Sorry to hear that Bluh!

Water & comics don't mix!

Glad you were able work things out with your father! 

I'm gonna PM his blog to you-you'll see how amazing he became.

40 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

Sorry to hear this

What era of Playboy we talking?

Barbi Benton

Pam Anderson

Anna Nicole Smith?

This happened sometime between 1987-1988 (pre- Pam Anderson and Anna Nicole Smith)

It wasn't anything too incredible--- I inherited my dad's old "collection" -- a couple of boxes that used to live under our bathroom sink back in Chicago. I think she screwed up about 3 Playboys total-- which to be honest didn't bother me at all. I tried to explain that she was being jealous of a MAGAZINE -- and it made no sense. WHo knows why she got so upset about it--- we had other issues as well though we had a pretty active sex life (wouldn't you if you were still 21? lol)

I'm thinking they were some late 1970s/early 1980s - nothing important. Not sure how I would have felt about if she did something to my comics but those were tucked away at my folks house still.

Edited by 01TheDude

On 6/11/2020 at 5:08 PM, Dr. Love said:

former wife - "hey let's get a divorce", followed by "give me half the cost basis of those comics"

me - "you can have half the comics, that's the deal"

she - "uhhh...pass"

this truly happened to me

present wife - "what is CGC thinking?  that book should be a 9.0, not an 8.0!!!"

this truly happened to me

upgrade, baby

Love this story. Congrats! She's a keeper.

22 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

This happened sometime between 1987-1988 (pre- Pam Anderson and Anna Nicole Smith)

It wasn't anything too incredible--- I inherited my dad's old "collection" -- a couple of boxes that used to live under our bathroom sink back in Chicago. I think she screwed up about 3 Playboys total-- which to be honest didn't bother me at all. I tried to explain that she was being jealous of a MAGAZINE -- and it made no sense. WHo knows why she got so upset about it--- we had other issues as well though we had a pretty active sex life (wouldn't you if you were still 21? lol)

I'm thinking they were some late 1970s/early 1980s - nothing important. Not sure how I would have felt about if she did something to my comics but those were tucked away at my folks house still.

She sounds like she was insecure

maybe she would have been jealous of your Jessica drew & Jennifer Walters comics! lol

10 hours ago, Comics4All said:

This is one of the saddest's  threads, BTW! :(

Someone post something joyous here!

My significant other procured and gifted me a Flash #123 (Fine+).

Couple of years later a VF All Star Western #10 came my way.

If she keeps it up I might let her stay . . .

15 hours ago, Comics4All said:

This is one of the saddest's  threads, BTW! :(

Someone post something joyous here!

Not really my intent :( , if people want to do coolest things too, then pile them on.   Like the above Flash #123 @Duffman_Comics story, please feel free.  

14 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Not really my intent :( , if people want to do coolest things too, then pile them on.   Like the above Flash #123 @Duffman_Comics story, please feel free.  

No, I know that wasn't your intention!

It just got super sad there for a bit! :(

Good to hear some uplifting stories as well! :)

a positive note

One time a girlfriend gave me a real old (10 center) Popeye because she knew I liked comics. Still have it but not the girlfriend

Maybe I missed the boat on that one-- she was moving to Atlanta though and I couldn't see a long distance thing working out. Amazing how the early 30 year old mind thinks.

8 minutes ago, bug33fouf said:

Can we please have a room that does'nt have any comic related items on the wall or on any shelf's....

yes, dear u may have one...

:banana:

it's called a shoe closet? or a bathroom? broom closet? lol I can only imagine, I've mentioned escaping out of the vault to around the house with items haha

Closest I came was a rendition of the Godfather done by an artist, from the 1st con I ever went to! will update with a pic in a second :) 

IMG_20200613_145357908.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

6 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

a positive note

One time a girlfriend gave me a real old (10 center) Popeye because she knew I liked comics. Still have it but not the girlfriend

Maybe I missed the boat on that one-- she was moving to Atlanta though and I couldn't see a long distance thing working out. Amazing how the early 30 year old mind thinks.

I had a similar situation: I was dating this wonderful girl & it seemed like we had something special but after only dating for about 2 months, she moved about 2 hours away, so I broke it off. 

I believe things are meant to be, I met and married my wife not long after and I been happily married since! 

Edited by Comics4All