• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Worst Thing Your Significant Other Has Said About Your Comic Hobby
1 1

76 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it was the collection I acquired starting at age 5 until in my 20's. Back then you bought the book you found in hand as there was no internet. They were not minty copies but I had a lot of books. AF15, Spidey 1 to 200, Hulk 1-6, Avengers, etc.

pls tell me you are no longer married to this creature.

21 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it was the collection I acquired starting at age 5 until in my 20's. Back then you bought the book you found in hand as there was no internet. They were not minty copies but I had a lot of books. AF15, Spidey 1 to 200, Hulk 1-6, Avengers, etc.

All kidding aside. I would have left her that day. That is the action of a truly evil soul. My wife couldn’t possibly care less about comics and has no desire to know values or costs. About 2 months ago I bought a new truck. She and I were talking about the truck purchase the night before I bought it and I said, “instead of financing the truck I should sell all my comics and buy it outright for cash.” She literally laughed at me and said “yeah right, they couldn’t possibly be worth it.” I said “eh, you’re probably right. I’m just messing around.” If she only knew. Haha. 

6 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

oh my gosh we definitely ended horribly.

"You nitwit you threw away over $100,000"

13 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I came home from work to find my entire comic collection gone. When I asked her what happened she said:

"for far to long YOU have been wasting time and money. I had some help today and I have thrown your comics away. YOU need to learn about what is important in your life."

Let me know if there is a prize and if I win.

You win the second prize all right, for the most heart-rending story here.  Who hasn't had a parent/sibling/other rip or deface just one book and thought their world had imploded?  Your lawyer however wins the first prize for acquitting you of the ensuing manslaughter charge.

1 minute ago, SeniorSurfer said:

You win the second prize all right, for the most heart-rending story here.  Who hasn't had a parent/sibling/other rip or deface just one book and thought their world had imploded?  Your lawyer however wins the first prize for acquitting you of the ensuing manslaughter charge.

plot twist: the Lawyer was in on it and he now has all the comics and the ex-wife.

47 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
50 minutes ago, SeniorSurfer said:

plot twist: the Lawyer was in on it and he now has all the comics and the ex-wife.

If there is any justice, she will eventually do to him what she did to you.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

This is like the plot of a bad TV show! 

Well,. I hope you replaced some/all of those books & you are happier in your life now 

In the late 80's this scenario happened to a client of mine. But it was cash and the wife, no comics involved. Sucks big time.

I’ve heard you tell this story before but I don’t remember this development. 

So, am I understanding this right?  When your ex said she said she “threw out” your comics she actually just moved them to an undisclosed location with the help of her lawyer who was also I guess her boyfriend?

So this confrontation over the “discarded” comics would then be premeditated to instigate a split so she and her lawyer/boyfriend could hook up and enjoy the spoils?

Sorry, not trying to pry into your personal business, just trying to wrap my head around how much of a sociopath your ex was. 

17 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I’ve heard you tell this story before but I don’t remember this development. 

So, am I understanding this right?  When your ex said she said she “threw out” your comics she actually just moved them to an undisclosed location with the help of her lawyer who was also I guess her boyfriend?

So this confrontation over the “discarded” comics would then be premeditated to instigate a split so she and her lawyer/boyfriend could hook up and enjoy the spoils?

Sorry, not trying to pry into your personal business, just trying to wrap my head around how much of a sociopath your ex was. 

the lawyer part is made up in this thread for entertainment.

Honestly I never really knew if she actually threw my comics away or if she just moved them somewhere and pretended to throw them away. I didn't think she was so malicious to do something like that. In the end I hope she also was taught about what is important in life that day.

Sorry-- i have a few more questions

how long ago did this all happen?

did you ever get the comics back (not replacements-- the actual books)?

How did she move them? I assume you had many boxes though you never said how many books were involved.

The closest I came to this was when my ex-wife found a handful of old Playboys in the closet, tore them up into a million pieces, and left me a note saying "oh-- so this is what you want?". It made no sense at all to me because that is what I wanted and I thought she was what I wanted -- that I saw her in those magazines. It really was a case of getting married far too young (21) and her deciding the way fights had to go once we were married was for her to leave me and want a divorce. Never wanted to just talk about what was bothering her. I only found out after I would get home and she had moved all her stuff out of the apartment.

Not a significant other but when I was 11 my dad put all my comics in the bathtub.  It was the most devastating thing that had ever happened to me.  If he only knew merely destroying one comic would have been the ultimate punishment.  My dad had a habit of destroying my toys for punishment like my lost in space robot he hurled to the ground.
He later went to therapy and worked on himself incessantly and became pretty much a saintly individual.

1 hour ago, kav said:

Not a significant other but when I was 11 my dad put all my comics in the bathtub.  It was the most devastating thing that had ever happened to me.  If he only knew merely destroying one comic would have been the ultimate punishment.  My dad had a habit of destroying my toys for punishment like my lost in space robot he hurled to the ground.
He later went to therapy and worked on himself incessantly and became pretty much a saintly individual.

For your sake I hope you can forgive, glad to hear your dad worked through some stuff (thumbsu

Seems everyone has hangups that have to be pointed out to us, if we can listen and have some healing, it does wonders

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

For your sake I hope you can forgive, glad to hear your dad worked through some stuff (thumbsu

Seems everyone has hangups that have to be pointed out to us, if we can listen and have some healing, it does wonders

My dad became literally a saint.

3 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Sorry-- i have a few more questions

how long ago did this all happen?

did you ever get the comics back (not replacements-- the actual books)?

How did she move them? I assume you had many boxes though you never said how many books were involved.

The closest I came to this was when my ex-wife found a handful of old Playboys in the closet, tore them up into a million pieces, and left me a note saying "oh-- so this is what you want?". It made no sense at all to me because that is what I wanted and I thought she was what I wanted -- that I saw her in those magazines. It really was a case of getting married far too young (21) and her deciding the way fights had to go once we were married was for her to leave me and want a divorce. Never wanted to just talk about what was bothering her. I only found out after I would get home and she had moved all her stuff out of the apartment.

Sorry to hear this

What era of Playboy we talking?

Barbi Benton

Pam Anderson

Anna Nicole Smith?