• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2020 at 12:40 AM, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, those are 2 key visual but apparently non-technical indicators which CGC does not take too much into account when it comes to determining the final grade. O.o

I guess this is supposedly where the CVA Exceptional sticker from CL and the QES sticker from CC comes into play.  hm

I always buy the book and not only the grade. Makes it more fun finding the premium for a specific grade. 

On 12/17/2020 at 8:31 AM, bluehorseshoe said:

Do it and let us know how it turns out.

Oh, it's already being done. Just check the links a few pages back. That seller cracks lower graded books and sells them at a large grade markup. It works great money wise, it just requires your moral compass is off by a few degrees.

9 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Is there a way to block a seller on ebay?  Blocking buyers I have down cold pew! pew!, but cant find a way to make it so I dont even see a seller's items for sale.  TIA

I have saved custom searches where I filter out sellers, but not sure there's a way to actually block them in total. 

Under the Advanced Search, you can put in the seller's name here. 

image.png.e02e9d1fe05f4685147e6fda9dccd251.png

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I bought a copy over 20 years ago for $4 and just traded it with other books and cash for an AF15.  

I always loved the book and the character, but the value has gotten insane. I figure if I'm going to bet on a Spidey key, it mine as well be the first one. 

I mean, I got a copy off an ebay auction around 2003ish, and probably paid about a buck for it (lot auction), but it would still take me several thousand dollars to get even close to a low-end AF15.  

Saying you traded it and some cash for x is kinda pointless unless you say how much cash.  I could say I traded my half-empty beer and some cash for an action comics 1 :)

2 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

I mean, I got a copy off an ebay auction around 2003ish, and probably paid about a buck for it (lot auction), but it would still take me several thousand dollars to get even close to a low-end AF15.  

Saying you traded it and some cash for x is kinda pointless unless you say how much cash.  I could say I traded my half-empty beer and some cash for an action comics 1 :)

That's fair lol. 

It an entry level AF15.  A .5 missing a back cover, but it comes with a back cover I can marry to get a qualified label.  Nice presenting with some chipping and small pieces missing. 

Of the 3 books I included the ASM 300 was the most valuable. 

I guess the point is, we've gotten to a point where a NM copy of ASM300 can make a meaningful dent in the cost of an AF15 and I decided it was time to move it.  

That's not a prediction on future value. It's just for me, it's reached a point where the $$ or trade value is worth more than owning a copy. 

Wait, huh? :whatthe:

Auction states:

ThIs was Bought by  me  from my friend who was the original owner this comic he got CGC Graded in 2014 this  was a former CGC 9.8 my friend  took it out of CGC case for TOdd mcfarlane  signature in july 2019 at SDCC  mcfarlane  signatures  were rare before the in house CGC signing  which was approx  January  2020.. also in early 2019 the 9.8 were going for 1,100 compared  to them  going  for 4,500 to 5,000 now Due to Lack of work my friend  got laid off from work I'm buying some of his key issues  any questions  or questions  feel free  to ask  . This is a former 9.8 comic in beautiful  condition

So cracking it as a CGC 9.8, getting an unverified sig, then attempting to sell it at top dollar, he expects $4K ish on this sale?

AUCTION

image.thumb.png.11c6c049e510c54a84080858dd96aec7.png

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

1 hour ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Auction states:

ThIs was Bought by  me  from my friend who was the original owner this comic he got CGC Graded in 2014 this  was a former CGC 9.8 my friend  took it out of CGC case for TOdd mcfarlane  signature in july 2019 at SDCC  mcfarlane  signatures  were rare before the in house CGC signing  which was approx  January  2020.. also in early 2019 the 9.8 were going for 1,100 compared  to them  going  for 4,500 to 5,000 now Due to Lack of work my friend  got laid off from work I'm buying some of his key issues  any questions  or questions  feel free  to ask  . This is a former 9.8 comic in beautiful  condition

So cracking it as a CGC 9.8, getting an unverified sig, then attempting to sell it at top dollar, he expects $4K ish on this sale?

AUCTION

I dont think this auction will really be an indicator of how strong sales of raw copies of this book are, but rather, well...whether Darwinism is a real thing in that some knucklehead is going to be separated from some money in exchange for whatever the hell he/she actually ends up with from the seller, and more frightening, how much money.

On 12/14/2020 at 9:33 PM, carter3175 said:

This guy has a NICE copy but its not slabbed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-300-NM-MT-Todd-McFarlane-Signed-FIRST-VENOM-WOW/203219013252

He told me that book was 9.8 and his bud wanted Todd to sign it and he never got it graded.  He was going to send it in to cbcs.  

4 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Auction states:

AUCTION

Yep, he still sends me msgs.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think its safe to say that this book has bottomed out at $4.1K for blue label, white pages, direct, and $1.3K for likewise in 9.6

History indicates prices will rise again beginning in Feb.

Plan accordingly.

Related to the movie or do you mean something else here?

I've been snapping up pretty much any copy I can find under $300 and a few nicer ones too but I can't keep up with most of y'all :grin:

:/

15 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Related to the movie or do you mean something else here?

I've been snapping up pretty much any copy I can find under $300 and a few nicer ones too but I can't keep up with most of y'all :grin:

:/

What I mean is every year come November, folks turn their attention (and funds) towards Thanksgiving & Black Friday purchases, followed closely by Christmas/post Christmas purchases.  In January, the bills come due for payment.

So in general, from Nov-Jan, funds are used to purchase things other than comics, and we see comics prices drop.  Sales of comics (and prices) begin to pick up in Feb.

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

What I mean is every year come November, folks turn their attention (and funds) towards Thanksgiving & Black Friday purchases, followed closely by Christmas/post Christmas purchases.  In January, the bills come due for payment.

So in general, from Nov-Jan, funds are used to purchase things other than comics, and we see comics prices drop.  Sales of comics (and prices) begin to pick up in Feb.

Well, it's a good thing this is a normal year and everything is guaranteed to follow previous trends...

9 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Well, it's a good thing this is a normal year and everything is guaranteed to follow previous trends...

Pretty damn funny but there is reason for optimism that we may be trending towards a more stable economic status quo by then. We won't be back to normal in February by a long shot but there should be a lot of people vaccinated by then.