• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Imagine paying that much for a book as common as this, with distracting scribbling all over the cover.  Never been a huge fan of autographs, specially now when it's a pay to play transaction, but if you want stan the man to sign a book he never worked on why not do it on the first page rather than the cover?

Increased likelihood of damage to the book by having the facilitator flip the cover to the 1st page instead of just having the signator sign in the exact location you’ve created via window on the comicbag.

moreso for instances where you have signatures done on different days and need to flip the cover multiple times

I dunno.  I could understand it.  You need to try to put yourself in the buyer's shoes.  It's like when someone spends serious money building their one and only dream home, from scratch and with a very particular taste (i.e., wierdness!), even if it were unlikely to resell the house at anywhere near the cost, even years later.   Think Michael Jackson's Neverland estate.  But even regular folks do this all the time, and usually a lot more money is involved than $7K.  

Edited by Pantodude

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any bets that they were not seriously expecting to get $20K for the book since I believe the high point for signed copies was only around the mid-$7K to date.  hm

They probably just threw a ridiculously high number out their to see if they could wheel in some sucker "lucky buyer" :devil: which is exactly what happened at double the current going rate.  :flipbait:   :banana:  :whee:

They came down 5k

Seller woke up that morning checked ebay messages turned to wife

"We got one honey!"

On 11/29/2020 at 6:59 PM, astrometric said:

I reached out to the seller and verified payment was in fact received.

Well, let's hope it's not the same so-called seller who supposedly also verified his eBay sale of TMNT 1 for something like $87K which then turned out to be a bogus transaction to spike the GPA numbers, as the scan of the book was cobbled together from 2 different copies of CGC 9.8 graded copies of TMNT 1.  :facepalm:  (tsk)

On 9/22/2020 at 6:33 PM, Lorne Malvo said:

I prefer finding a 9.8 ASM 300 that's perfectly centered, no production defect (jagged edges), and with a deep red color (instead of the orange). Personally, I stay away from copies with jagged edges. 

I've meant to do the research, but how much consideration does CGC give to colour fading?  Sometimes I don't even notice that a book has severe colour fading unless I actually see it next to an unfaded example...

17 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

I've meant to do the research, but how much consideration does CGC give to colour fading?  Sometimes I don't even notice that a book has severe colour fading unless I actually see it next to an unfaded example...

The problem with orange vs. red is that it could be fading or just production variance and it can also be hard to tell the difference.

21 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Which one looks nicer? Serious

20201113_161125~2.jpg

I like the left one because the right edge says 300 almost all the way down, and the right book has 300 chopped off (looks more like "30C") all the way down.

Edited by valiantman

10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I like the left one because the right edge says 300 almost all the way down, and the right book has 300 chopped off (looks more like "30C") all the way down.

Man, I had to stare at that for almost 10 minutes

In all seriousness tho, when you say right, you mean right as though you were holding both books in your hands right? In that case the left book looks way more centered

We should turn this thread into a 9.8 comparisons of books, such subtle differences and yet the same grade

Edited by Hollywood1892

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

This particular book was designed to say "300" in the background and it has a known jagged right edge.  So, if I was choosing between the two, I would take the one that says "300" on the right edge because I know it probably hasn't been trimmed.  The one that says "30C" on the right edge is unlikely to be trimmed either - but what would a trimmed book look like?  30C

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

This particular book was designed to say "300" in the background and it has a known jagged right edge.  So, if I was choosing between the two, I would take the one that says "300" on the right edge because I know it probably hasn't been trimmed.  The one that says "30C" on the right edge is unlikely to be trimmed either - but what would a trimmed book look like?  30C

The one on the left is definitely better centered

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

The one on the left is definitely better centered

The one on the left looks slanted or miscut to me. There is less of the "300" visible on the top right than there is as you go down to the bottom right. It kind of does that on the right copy too, but it doesn't jump out to me like the left copy:

pic-300.jpg

10 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

In all seriousness tho, when you say right, you mean right as though you were holding both books in your hands right. In that case the left book looks way more centered

We should turn this thread into a 9.8 comparisons of books, such subtle differences and yet the same grade

For those who also might be confused... this is what I'm saying about "300" vs. "30C" (thumbsu

asm300rightedge.jpg.6b99ab06d953eb89ddbde47d69150e3d.jpg