• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Could be my phone too, but yeah I definitely see your point

I think some are not cut straight across on the bottom/top. As in the cut from the spine outward flairs "out"? You can have a straight cut on the right side straight down, then the outward flare top/bottom.

I always wondered if that is what a 9.9/10.0 gets?

Front or the back have perfect center cuts = 9.9

Both = 10.0 

I have seen a nasty miss-wrap 9.9 so it is not the wrapping.

I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I think some are not cut straight across on the bottom/top. As in the cut from the spine outward flairs "out"? You can have a straight cut on the right side straight down, then the outward flare top/bottom.

I always wondered if that is what a 9.9/10.0 gets?

Front or the back have perfect center cuts = 9.9

Both = 10.0 

I have seen a nasty miss-wrap 9.9 so it is not the wrapping.

I could be wrong.

CGC will forever baffle us

20 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

The one on the left looks slanted or miscut to me. There is less of the "300" visible on the top right than there is as you go down to the bottom right. It kind of does that on the right copy too, but it doesn't jump out to me like the left copy:

pic-300.jpg

I'm in this camp. I like as well, on the right copy, that the 300s don't wrap at all on the spine side.

44 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Anyone still buying this book?  I only ask because I've been receiving offers from folks willing to sell their 9.8's to me for $5K.  :hi:

Not me, it's not a book that needs to be in my collection at the moment. Just to expensive.

Shifted to other books.

I'm about to ship off my ASM 300 to CGC in an attempt to cash in on the bubble while I can. I'm now wondering what else is worth sending in with it. Is this rising tide lifting all early McFarlane Marvels? ASM 298-305? Hulk 340-325? It seems his work on Infinity Inc and Detective isn't as interesting to collectors. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. As mentioned earlier, I've never bought comics with an eye toward selling them but it seems if I can take advantage of this boom to sell books I'm not attached to I could pursue my goals of buying original art and Kirby Fantastic Fours.

(And yes, I recognize that by the time I get them back the market for these books could be dead. C'est la vie).

7 minutes ago, TappanZee said:

I'm about to ship off my ASM 300 to CGC in an attempt to cash in on the bubble while I can. I'm now wondering what else is worth sending in with it. Is this rising tide lifting all early McFarlane Marvels? ASM 298-305? Hulk 340-325? It seems his work on Infinity Inc and Detective isn't as interesting to collectors. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. As mentioned earlier, I've never bought comics with an eye toward selling them but it seems if I can take advantage of this boom to sell books I'm not attached to I could pursue my goals of buying original art and Kirby Fantastic Fours.

(And yes, I recognize that by the time I get them back the market for these books could be dead. C'est la vie).

ASM 316 is rocketing

29 minutes ago, D2 said:

ASM 316 is rocketing

The simple thought "I want a Venom book to look at" isn't satisfied by any Marvel comic until ASM #316 came along.  Really interesting when you look back and see that 15 issue gap between Venom being a "new big bad" and Venom getting a cover being bad. :grin:

Edited by valiantman

On 12/3/2020 at 9:56 AM, valiantman said:

So, if I was choosing between the two, I would take the one that says "300" on the right edge because I know it probably hasn't been trimmed.  The one that says "30C" on the right edge is unlikely to be trimmed either - but what would a trimmed book look like?  30C

Well, if it was done by Jason, he would have been astute enough to do the micro-trim on a book that started with the full "300" and it would most likely still have the "300" look after it was done. hm

If it was done by Dupchak, it would most likely have the full "30" look without the last "0" by the time he was finished hacking the book.  :facepalm:  :devil:  

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if it was done by Jason, he would have been astute enough to do the micro-trim on a book that started with the full "300" and it would most likely still have the "300" look after it was done. hm

If it was done by Dupchak, it would most likely have the full "30" look without the last "0" by the time he was finished hacking the book.  :facepalm:  :devil:  

But how would CGC not notice a "trim"?

39 minutes ago, D2 said:
42 minutes ago, TappanZee said:

I'm about to ship off my ASM 300 to CGC in an attempt to cash in on the bubble while I can. I'm now wondering what else is worth sending in with it. Is this rising tide lifting all early McFarlane Marvels? ASM 298-305? Hulk 340-325? 

ASM 316 is rocketing

Depending upon your luck if CGC happens to be going through a tight grading :mad: or a loose grading :banana: time period when your book goes across their grading table, the only other ones that might possibly be a safe bet would be the Spidey 298 and the Hulk 340 from my own personal point of view.  Especially when you have to factor in the additional ancillary charges that comes with grading and the whole hassle with sending the book in.  hm

Although I do believe reading on the boards here that the Spidey 301 is apparently extremely tough to find in uber high grade and tends to go for good money when you are able to squeeze :devil: a nice grade out from CGC on this particular issue.  Then again, the CGC Census Population Report indicates almost 200 copies in CGC 9.8 graded condition, so that probably doesn't apply anymore unless you can luck out and be the first one with a 9.9 or 10.0 copy which surprisingly has not yet been found to date so far.  :whatthe:  :wishluck:

1 hour ago, D2 said:

ASM 316 is rocketing

So, maddeningly, my last issue of that run is 313. I stopped collecting then when I enetered college and didn't pick up ASM again until 544. So no 316. But I do have a nice copy of 301 (although I doubt it's more than a 9.8). 

JPEG image 6.jpeg

Edited by TappanZee
clarity

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:
5 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

But how would CGC not notice a "trim"?

You really aren't serious with your post here, are you?  hm  :facepalm:

Okay, from your profile Join Date of only 2019, I guess you must have missed the whole pressing and micro-trim fiasco that took place here on the boards back in 2005 when both of these neferious practices were first outed to the absolute astonishment of most board members here.  :whatthe:  :censored:

Although trimming should indeed be caught by CGC, like pressing, the art of micro-trimming a book would most likely not be completely detectable if the work was done properly.  From a certification point of view though, the difference was like night and day as CGC then decided to retroactively deem Pressing as nothing more than "maximization of potential" for a book, while micro-trimming was deemed to be destruction of a book.  (:

Like how Dupchak, @Red Hook, @MasterChief, etc. was able to identify these manipulated books, CGC should indeed be able to catch these micro-trim jobs if they are provided with before and after scans of the exact same book magnified to the 64th degree.  If I remember correctly, CGC tried their best to do a recall on these uber HG books and Tom Brulato/Via Collectibles ending up making some kind of payment back to the many buyers of these books.  For Brulato's sake, I certainly hope that his famous uber HG early Marvel SA collection (all CGC 9.8 and 9.6) doesn't contain any of these so-called "destroyed" books.  (shrug)  :wishluck:

Like they said at the time, if you are a collector of uber HG 9.8 or possibly even 9.6 graded books, you should probably simply assume that some of them have been pressed and possibly even micro-trimmed.  hm

7 hours ago, TappanZee said:

It's not lifting all the early ones. Looking at GPA besides 300 it's 298 299 that are seeing recent sizable increases at least in 9.8 and maybe modest increases in 9.6, 9.4. Thats because of Eddie Brock. Otherwise 301 does appear to be having a more modest increases but strangely only in 9.6 and not much in 9.8. Most other issues are stable.

It looks to be more venom/carnage related than Mcfarlane because 316 361 are in that high increase group. 

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Okay, from your profile Join Date of only 2019, I guess you must have missed the whole pressing and micro-trim fiasco that took place here on the boards back in 2005 when both of these neferious practices were first outed to the absolute astonishment of most board members here.  :whatthe:  :censored:

Although trimming should indeed be caught by CGC, like pressing, the art of micro-trimming a book would most likely not be completely detectable if the work was done properly.  From a certification point of view though, the difference was like night and day as CGC then decided to retroactively deem Pressing as nothing more than "maximization of potential" for a book, while micro-trimming was deemed to be destruction of a book.  (:

Like how Dupchak, @Red Hook, @MasterChief, etc. was able to identify these manipulated books, CGC should indeed be able to catch these micro-trim jobs if they are provided with before and after scans of the exact same book magnified to the 64th degree.  If I remember correctly, CGC tried their best to do a recall on these uber HG books and Tom Brulato/Via Collectibles ending up making some kind of payment back to the many buyers of these books.  For Brulato's sake, I certainly hope that his famous uber HG early Marvel SA collection (all CGC 9.8 and 9.6) doesn't contain any of these so-called "destroyed" books.  (shrug)  :wishluck:

Like they said at the time, if you are a collector of uber HG 9.8 or possibly even 9.6 graded books, you should probably simply assume that some of them have been pressed and possibly even micro-trimmed.  hm

Thanks(thumbsu

I was afraid to ask without sounding foolish:foryou:

Out of curiosity, what grade did the 20,000th copy of ASM 300 submitted to CGC got?

Did the lucky owner/submitter ever put it up for sale on Ebay, C-Link etc?

Whatever grade it got, should be quite a premium with the special label and all hm

16 hours ago, valiantman said:

The simple thought "I want a Venom book to look at" isn't satisfied by any Marvel comic until ASM #316 came along.  Really interesting when you look back and see that 15 issue gap between Venom being a "new big bad" and Venom getting a cover being bad. :grin:

Let me ask you, while we are on the #316 topic. Maybe this is somewhere in another post, but isn't ASM #315 the 2nd appearance of Venom? Or, is this a cameo like #299 as it was brief? If #316 is the 2nd full appearance, then why doesn't CGC put it on the label like they do with other characters, e.g. ASM #135 for Punisher?

Also, why the heck does CGC put First appearance of Eddie Brock in Cameo on #298, but not First appearance of Venom in Cameo on #299? :facepalm: