• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disgusted with CGC at the moment...
4 4

215 posts in this topic

I just bought a slabbed book, for which I (knowingly) overpaid. I needed the centerfold, so I planned on cracking it, removing the CF and selling it at a loss. I was willing to consider the loss in reselling it the price I paid for the centerfold.

I crack the book only to find out CGC missed the missing centerfold.

So now I get the loss and no centerfold. With no chance of a recovery, since I cannot return the book to the seller since I cracked it out. So all I can do is person_without_enough_empathy here on the boards. :censored:

Scan-200615-0002.thumb.jpg.43cb7395937622141c8cf8d2344d9377.jpg

50 minutes ago, stock_rotation said:

I just bought a slabbed book, for which I (knowingly) overpaid. I needed the centerfold, so I planned on cracking it, removing the CF and selling it at a loss. I was willing to consider the loss in reselling it the price I paid for the centerfold.

I crack the book only to find out CGC missed the missing centerfold.

So now I get the loss and no centerfold. With no chance of a recovery, since I cannot return the book to the seller since I cracked it out. So all I can do is person_without_enough_empathy here on the boards. :censored:

Scan-200615-0002.thumb.jpg.43cb7395937622141c8cf8d2344d9377.jpg

Wow that :censored: blows!

That's awful.  I see no clear recourse, either.  Once you crack it, it can't be returned.  You're depending on CGC doing its job, and they didn't.  But you can't prove it, since the only way to do that would be to open it in front of a CGC rep. 

They do have some kind of "guarantee", but I haven't read it lately.  Probably about the book in the slab being authenticated when slabbed.  Just a rock and hard place situation.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

CGC has been pretty good about making things right.  I would not give up on them.  Contact them.  You have the old slab.  You can demonstrate date when you sent it in etc to show this is the book.

You are right about trying CGC, see what they say. 

The speed bump is that he didn't submit the book, bought it.  He has no standing on that now.  How is CGC to know the book in his hand came out of that slab?  Except possibly by "ballistics", if there are grader notes that mention specific flaws that are undoubtedly from that comic.  Even then, HE could have taken out the centerfold and claimed it was gone.  Hard to get a story that can't easily be challenged.

4 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

You are right about trying CGC, see what they say. 

The speed bump is that he didn't submit the book, bought it.  He has no standing on that now.  How is CGC to know the book in his hand came out of that slab?  Except possibly by "ballistics", if there are grader notes that mention specific flaws that are undoubtedly from that comic.  Even then, HE could have taken out the centerfold and claimed it was gone.  Hard to get a story that can't easily be challenged.

right.  I think they would make a judgment call maybe.  This story does not sound like a fabrication.

Altogether pretty worrying. In fact very worrying.

We hold CGC up to be the benchmark, and pay for the privilege both in slabbing our books, an paying for those books that are slabbed already.

Everybody makes mistakes I know but come on, a missing centerfold? That is basic stuff. Page counts are elementary and the first thing you do, when you buy a raw, or should be.

This makes the business of cracking out a slab a nervy decision, and a bit of a lottery now.

1 hour ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Can a 1.0 include something like a missing centerfold? I know it should be on the label, but I wonder what the grader notes include.

I guess that would depend on the time period when it was slabbed. Once upon a time it may have received a GLOD but nowadays any missing pages should plummet it to a 0.5.

If it was multiple wraps it would get an NG I think. 

1 hour ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Can a 1.0 include something like a missing centerfold? I know it should be on the label, but I wonder what the grader notes include.

I assume from my limited and flawed knowledge it should have received a green "qualified" label, noting "Incomplete Missing Centerfold"  on the label.

Hmmmm.  I’d try to return it it as not as described. That coming from a seller of slabbed books with a great big “no returns on slabbed books” in all my listings. Not saying that the seller had a clue but it’s surely their problem if you are still within eBay s return window. The removal of the slab might be an issue in my solution... Raises the existential question- Are you buying a comic that happens to have third party grading or a slabbed comic)

Edited by ThothAmon

Do you know if the seller was the original submitter? I'd start there. If so, THEIR complaint is with CGC, and YOUR complaint is with the seller. Not that the seller knew or did anything wrong, but that's where I'd start, at least. If that gets no traction, contact CGC. They might surprise you. Then again, they may not. Cruddy situation all around, and I'm sorry for the hassle you're going through. It's very frustrating to know that you're out money just because someone else didn't do their job. But don't give up!