• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,102 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2024 at 4:52 PM, Jason9910 said:

received_420792227197229.thumb.jpeg.e973670cb9e3753881307012af8e1135.jpeg I just picked up this Tec 411 with a T&P stamp. I'd never seen them before. This thread has been extremely informational and I love this pick up

Welcome to the thread, Jason.  Any lovers of the stamps Tee and Pee are welcome among we, with books that are nice to see :)

On 3/18/2024 at 7:39 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

aside of repeats of The Prisoner

His birthday, today. Gone, but never forgotten.  Have you ever been to Portmeirion? 

image.jpeg.258b6ba45828bc42335bafc25564ae71.jpeg

Edited by Malacoda

On 3/18/2024 at 7:39 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

"That's a Streamline reprint of a Charlton comic"

Fawcett/Arnold.

There was an Arnold copy on ebay a few months ago, the only copy I have ever seen.

I wanted it so bad, but of course I forgot about it until the auction was over due to being ill.

It went for about £30 :eyeroll:

On 3/19/2024 at 3:01 PM, Kevin.J said:

I wanted it so bad, but of course I forgot about it until the auction was over due to being ill.

Now you're twice as unwell!

Don't leave it too late, Kev. It's the highest bid, not the latest, that wins.

Pretend you're in an Irish election and bid early and often.

On 3/19/2024 at 2:02 PM, Malacoda said:

His birthday, today. Gone, but never forgotten. 

Indeed

On 3/19/2024 at 2:02 PM, Malacoda said:

Have you ever been to Portmeirion? 

image.jpeg.258b6ba45828bc42335bafc25564ae71.jpeg

Yes. Yes, I have.

Wonderful, isn't it?  I know for some people it destroys 'the Village' but for me I was just all the more amazed by how brilliantly they edited it to give you a completely different perception of size, layout and juxtaposition of different buildings.  It just made the Prisoner better.  I stayed next to the Green Dome (but it's not green any more). 

Also, no one tells you, but there are some of the most stunning trees and flowers planted into the woods. I guess people must have brought back seeds from all over the world and given them to CWE. 

On 3/20/2024 at 7:10 AM, Malacoda said:

Wonderful, isn't it?  I know for some people it destroys 'the Village' but for me I was just all the more amazed by how brilliantly they edited it to give you a completely different perception of size, layout and juxtaposition of different buildings.  It just made the Prisoner better.  I stayed next to the Green Dome (but it's not green any more). 

Also, no one tells you, but there are some of the most stunning trees and flowers planted into the woods. I guess people must have brought back seeds from all over the world and given them to CWE. 

Yes, I had a good feeling, being there. The Prisoner overall, but Patrick's performance especially, is one of the things that took hold of me in my early teens, and never left. It affected and still affects me in a way I can never quite put into words. When I die, if there was a hat in which ten or so things were placed that made their mark, family and friends aside, Number 6 would be one of them. 

I recommend Portmeirion as a day trip or even a holiday. I used to subscribe to the Six of One fanzine and went to a couple of viewings on a big screen in the days before you could obtain the series on VHS/before it had been repeated on satellite TV/before it was available as a tape/DVD partwork from your friendly neighbourhood newsagents. Every episode was odd, yet thought provoking in its own way. "The Girl who was death" was a spoof on James Bond and the like. I recall a scene in a pub where he drinks down his pint until he sees YOU HAVE   YOU HAVE BEEN   YOU HAVE BEEN POISONED. I surprisingly can't see that on UToob. 

gd.jpg.6b25d22181b3928b3dd0763e22630fca.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

We were discussing the show in another thread as well, and I'll repeat what I said there:  I think The Prisoner is the best TV show ever made.  Not necessarily my personal favorite, although it's way up there as well, but the best.

On 3/20/2024 at 8:18 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, I had a good feeling, being there. The Prisoner overall, but Patrick's performance especially, is one of the things that took hold of me in my early teens, and never left.

I wonder if you came to it the same way I did?  When I was 12, I sent off for Paul Gravett's Fandom Digest mail order comic catalogue. It contained a big article about the Prisoner and a free fold out poster.  It sounded fantastic. I took the catalogue round to my friend's house and said 'we have to find out more about this TV series', whereupon his Dad laughed heartily, took me into the study and pointed to the complete series on VHS which he'd recorded off air when it was repeated in 1976.  Their house was being completely gutted at the time, but his Dad set us up with a VCR and TV, and we sat there in a cavernous empty room, save for two squares of remaindered carpet, one for the TV and VCR and the other for me & my friend. We sat and watched the entire series that way. 

I can only imagine how many people discovered, read or heard about the Prisoner in the late 70's and early 80's, but had to wait until Channel 4 repeated it in 1984 to finally see it.  I always felt very lucky. 

Did you come upon it via Paul Gravett?  

As for me, I am old enough to have seen it in 1967 but then I was too young to fully appreciate it. It was finally repeated, as you say, late at night in the mid 1970s. But then I had yet to own a video recorder. The Prisoner is like some comics, books, music that you can return to quite a few times and still enjoy.

It wouldn't have been made in these days of Pilots and focus groups. Lew Grade (who looks the spitting image of my late Grandfather!?!) trusted his instincts and let Patrick go away (on location no less) and make it with just a handshake. Lew trusted his instincts with others such as Gerry Anderson and Jim Henson and was responsible for many hours of great UK TV in the 1960s and 1970s (that he could sell to the US too). 

PS: Lew/my Grandfather's double is the one on the left if you were wondering.

Untitled.jpg.19bd00282dfea691c8d8745bbc886f5b.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

On 3/20/2024 at 6:57 PM, Malacoda said:

I wonder if you came to it the same way I did?  When I was 12, I sent off for Paul Gravett's Fandom Digest mail order comic catalogue. It contained a big article about the Prisoner and a free fold out poster.  It sounded fantastic. I took the catalogue round to my friend's house and said 'we have to find out more about this TV series', whereupon his Dad laughed heartily, took me into the study and pointed to the complete series on VHS which he'd recorded off air when it was repeated in 1976.  Their house was being completely gutted at the time, but his Dad set us up with a VCR and TV, and we sat there in a cavernous empty room, save for two squares of remaindered carpet, one for the TV and VCR and the other for me & my friend. We sat and watched the entire series that way. 

I can only imagine how many people discovered, read or heard about the Prisoner in the late 70's and early 80's, but had to wait until Channel 4 repeated it in 1984 to finally see it.  I always felt very lucky. 

Did you come upon it via Paul Gravett?  

Nay Richmond, nay. Like so many things that have stayed with me (Get Carter, The Wicker Man, The Medusa Touch...) I first saw it on my trusty old black and white telly in my bedroom. Must've been around 14 or 15. I joined Six of One, skipped half a dozen of the other, and off it went from there. 40 odd years at Sixes and sevens. When I first joined here, I had McGoohan as my avatar for a while and used countless Prisoner gifs to annoy every one. Looking back, I annoyed everyone quite successfully. I had a Fall Out style FDQ exit planned at one point but a lengthy ban put paid to that. I returned, unmutual. It makes me laugh now when I think of how stupid I was when I first joined this forum. Never had any friends you see, so I got a bit over excited. My first foray into 'online'. A 50 year old acting like a five year old. Calmed down a bit since. Still stupid though.

Prisoner-StillTongue.gif.aa614d89762d5f0ef4334d29ad32096d.gif

Here, changing the subject, see how long you can look at my latest off-register Voodoo before you go cross eyed...

Voodoo9OffRegister.thumb.jpg.48de83b050237febd5b45c6db4cf53f7.jpg

I was telling Kev and Neil how much I've always liked this one. That's an outrageous load of white space at the top, isn't it.

Neil likes the 'Adult Comic' wording. He's into adult things... :bigsmile: @nmtg9

On 3/20/2024 at 7:51 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I first saw it on my trusty old black and white telly in my bedroom. Must've been around 14 or 15.

So I guess that would be when C4 repeated it in 1984?  I guess I was very lucky to see it in glorious colour so many years earlier.  I remember thinking it was literally the best thing I'd ever seen on TV by a very long way.  It looked more like movies looked than TV looked.  There were some British series, like the Persuaders and (as the Robot says) the other Lew Grade series, and, of course, several American series that looked really expensive, but I'd never seen anything as smart AND well produced as the Prisoner.  It really made you realise that TV could equal and even surpass cinema for the first time. 

On 3/20/2024 at 1:01 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Here, changing the subject, see how long you can look at my latest off-register Voodoo before you go cross eyed...

Voodoo9OffRegister.thumb.jpg.48de83b050237febd5b45c6db4cf53f7.jpg

I was telling Kev and Neil how much I've always liked this one. That's an outrageous load of white space at the top, isn't it.

Neil likes the 'Adult Comic' wording. He's into adult things... :bigsmile: @nmtg9

I think I can top that for eye watering off register, but it’s not UK:

Argosy_1922_03_11.thumb.jpg.8b91757a9df6cba41b3be8cf75899f14.jpg

On 3/20/2024 at 8:15 PM, Malacoda said:

So I guess that would be when C4 repeated it in 1984?  I guess I was very lucky to see it in glorious colour so many years earlier.  I remember thinking it was literally the best thing I'd ever seen on TV by a very long way.  It looked more like movies looked than TV looked.  There were some British series, like the Persuaders and (as the Robot says) the other Lew Grade series, and, of course, several American series that looked really expensive, but I'd never seen anything as smart AND well produced as the Prisoner.  It really made you realise that TV could equal and even surpass cinema for the first time. 

Indeed. He knew what he was doing in a way that few have done before or since.