• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,105 posts in this topic

@Malacoda In the 1960s lived on the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire border. Lots of my comics were purchased in Alfreton, Hucknall, Mansfield, Bolsover. A Great Aunt lived in Eastwood next door to the house D. H. Lawrence was born in. The sort of terraced house where you step out of the front door straight onto the pavement. Then moved to Birmingham in 1974.

PS: Got a Romeo. What an odd comic. The first half looks just like you'd expect with artwork in the style you'd see in other D C Thompson comics. But I'm not so sure about the second half of the comic. Were these strips drawn just for Romeo or had they appeared elsewhere before. The artwork for Rose the Slave Girl looks like something you'd see in a Fawcett comic. The car and the bus stop in Stolen Kisses don't look like they would belong in downtown Dundee.

IMG_1013.thumb.JPG.5f31d203338122cd62c4c3273a5f9732.JPG

IMG_1014.thumb.JPG.549947a0eebc5c52b9089fdae1a8babe.JPG

IMG_1015.thumb.JPG.e5c910f555fd81b890d8872145ac4395.JPG

IMG_1016.thumb.JPG.4f11a376f567b2a9bd4485f513d7a9ab.JPG

On 4/2/2024 at 3:10 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Sorry I haven't been around much boys. Mag's Mum and Dad both died within ten days of each other so there's been lots to do. I'm helping CGC Mike with the grading contest sign up lists, and that's about all I have time for at the mo, but I'll be back at some point to resume the pence ramblings. It's actually quite nice to know that my old threads now have enough pence-participants to carry on without me! Cheers boys <3

Sorry to hear this, Steve,

None of us, except the very young, have managed to escape the shadow of ashes to ashes, dust to dust and all that goes with it.

Take as much time as you need, the rest of us will do our utmost to muddle through.

On your return, you can set about putting right whatever we have inevitably managed to botch.

On a lighter note, this one is directed at Steve as I don't know the answer and if anyone does it will be him. In 1968 I bought the first issue of Spectacular Spider-Man magazine-sized magazine. It contained a long Spidey story in black and white just like "proper" comics here in the UK. It even had a T&P price stamp on the cover. I still have it somewhere safe with my Famous Monsters of Filmland No 1. I can't currently find that either!

The second issue was in full colour. I never saw one at the time. Are there any around with T&P stamps? The ones currently for sale are tatty and very expensive and unstamped. Anyway, to come to the point, the last page of No 2 advertises the story for the next issue entitled "The mystery of the TV terror". So it must have been completed, or well under way. But there never was a next issue. Did that story ever see the light of day (in a comic or more recently in a book) as it is not like Marvel to waste material???

spsp2.thumb.jpg.baaa3f0aadffd2b4a00cf2d9a3e35353.jpg

nextissue.thumb.jpg.c5d4c74810f54ba5e58e4ed8a0ec6220.jpg

PS: I lusted after a Kawasaki 350 Avenger but never had one. Torture tests? What's that all about?

On 4/3/2024 at 9:16 AM, themagicrobot said:

On a lighter note, this one is directed at Steve as I don't know the answer and if anyone does it will be him. In 1968 I bought the first issue of Spectacular Spider-Man magazine-sized magazine. It contained a long Spidey story in black and white just like "proper" comics here in the UK. It even had a T&P price stamp on the cover. I still have it somewhere safe with my Famous Monsters of Filmland No 1. I can't currently find that either!

The second issue was in full colour. I never saw one at the time. Are there any around with T&P stamps? The ones currently for sale are tatty and very expensive and unstamped. Anyway, to come to the point, the last page of No 2 advertises the story for the next issue entitled "The mystery of the TV terror". So it must have been completed, or well under way. But there never was a next issue. Did that story ever see the light of day (in a comic or more recently in a book) as it is not like Marvel to waste material???

spsp2.thumb.jpg.baaa3f0aadffd2b4a00cf2d9a3e35353.jpg

nextissue.thumb.jpg.c5d4c74810f54ba5e58e4ed8a0ec6220.jpg

PS: I lusted after a Kawasaki 350 Avenger but never had one. Torture tests? What's that all about?

I have a few examples of the first issue in the files with T&P stamps, but don't think I've ever seen one on the second:

33729-0.thumb.jpg.40a5c21386b6ccf15b8730fac1c1de3d.jpg

I would have looked for it, so the fact it is absent from the files means it may not exist. Expect an example imminently!

According to Spiderfan, the TV Terror story never saw the light of day:

https://spiderfan.org/item/rave/01116.html

As a Spider-Man fan, this is not the missing "Next Issue" tale that I want to see. I want to see the one advertised on the last page of Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2 (November 1968). John Romita's drawing shows Spidey in a spotlight, his right arm covering the bottom half of his mask, as if recoiling in fear. The upper left corner shows the light source, the upper right shows a TV boom mike, the lower right shows a TV camera and the lower left shows a shadow that looks like a huge grasping hand. "Next Issue:", the copy blares from the top of the page, "The Mystery of the TV terror!", it finishes on the bottom. This is the missing "Next Issue" I want to see. Does it sound silly? Yes, but so what? I want to see it anyway. A half-dozen or so years back, there was word from Marvel that this long-lost tale would be printed in one of Spider-Man's annuals (implying that the artwork is still intact and in Marvel's possession) but it never saw the light of day. Thirty years from the first appearance of the blurb and we're still waiting.

On 4/2/2024 at 7:35 PM, Get Marwood &amp; I said:

Spotted this whilst waiting around in hospital browsing...

Vintage Marvel comic collection sells for £13k

Yes, I saw that Steve.
There are a lot of "regular" non comic Antiques Auctioneers out there now becoming comic savvy and this is the route I would go down with a large collection to sell. Even if they charge commission for doing so you would still be better off than succumbing to a dealer's "great offer" of whatever lowball amount they proffer these days. And don't even think about doing it oneself on eBay or whatever.

On 4/3/2024 at 2:55 PM, Redshade said:

dealer's "great offer"

I would agree, go with a proper Auctioneer, never a dealer offer.

Anderson and Garland sold the Ian Penman collection for a supposed 500k+ that was just a mid sized collection with a lot of missing keys and no Golden age books, the thing it did have was great publicity, I saw it on the national and local news a few times, thats the key to a nice sale, I think, nerds around the world :acclaim:

Ian Penmans sister knew nothing about comics, imagine she rang Silver Acre first, Darryl would have made what seemed like a sweet offer to her I am sure :eyeroll:

I have spoken to John Anderson a couple of times about my missus cashing when I am gone, she knows nothing at all about values despite living surrounded by comics for 25 years lol 

On 4/3/2024 at 2:55 PM, Redshade said:

And don't even think about doing it oneself on eBay or whatever.

I know what you mean, but didn't do too badly, selling off the Spideys and stuff. It can be quite enjoyable, if you take your time. Which I did. I'm not sure I could be bothered now though.

On 4/3/2024 at 9:23 PM, Kevin.J said:

I have spoken to John Anderson a couple of times about my missus cashing when I am gone, she knows nothing at all about values 

I'll give you a fiver for all the Charltons, Mrs Kevin :)

Damn, I overpaid...

a5cf750e-1b25-44fb-8afb-67fadcde5b54_screenshot.thumb.jpg.051153810f0c97b659f8f97f1a08d59e.jpg

On 4/3/2024 at 9:23 PM, Kevin.J said:

Ian Penmans sister knew nothing about comics, imagine she rang Silver Acre first, Darryl would have made what seemed like a sweet offer to her I am sure :eyeroll:

Roll Safe, the Guy-Tapping-Head Meme, Explained

On 4/3/2024 at 11:39 PM, Kevin.J said:

Well some people think thats all they are good for lol 

:bigsmile:

And then there are idiots like me who have doubles....

hrarclot.thumb.PNG.c0be137e262f0ac614ad74e0b8d03523.PNG

On 4/3/2024 at 11:42 PM, Get Marwood &amp; I said:

:bigsmile:

And then there are idiots like me who have doubles....

Yeah, I have been known to have a couple of duplicates :D 

On 4/4/2024 at 12:03 AM, Kevin.J said:

Yeah, I have been known to have a couple of duplicates :D 

Understatement Alert! :ohnoez:

On 4/4/2024 at 9:03 AM, themagicrobot said:

If these stamps do belong to Goldstar then his girl never developed the techniques employed by T&Ps Gladys and Ethel.

Untitled.jpg.a8057c343f8df1dedfd6bf6f8fc9ca9b.jpg

Lacking in finesse, on occasion, she was. A few of mine have the stacking smudges on the back too. Which is nice.

1966.10Thunderbolt5410dStamp.thumb.jpg.84d6e8900c63faf7737e0497392a8818.jpg1966.10Thunderbolt5410dStampbc.thumb.jpg.724b6f1a71d1059c434b070a7f76975d.jpg

On 4/4/2024 at 9:03 AM, themagicrobot said:

If these stamps do belong to Goldstar then his girl never developed the techniques employed by T&Ps Gladys and Ethel.

Untitled.jpg.a8057c343f8df1dedfd6bf6f8fc9ca9b.jpg

I don't think Mr Gold's two employees Candy and Crystal quite had the experience of Gladys and Ethel although some say they were a right pair of old stampers