Brave and the Bold collecting thread - 2.0!
0

52 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2020 at 6:10 PM, Silver said:

I absolutely fell in love with the Silent Knight and Viking Prince reprints that ran in the 100 pagers.

Me too.

One of the highlights of my Convention experience was to escort Mr & Mrs Irv Novak to a dinner in their honor.  I was pleased to be able to say "thank you" to the artist of one of my favorite series, especially when I knew that was unlikely that anyone was going to point out this particular part of his distinguished career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2020 at 7:43 PM, adamstrange said:

Me too.

One of the highlights of my Convention experience was to escort Mr & Mrs Irv Novak to a dinner in their honor.  I was pleased to be able to say "thank you" to the artist of one of my favorite series, especially when I knew that was unlikely that anyone was going to point out this particular part of his distinguished career.

That’s awesome.  I would have liked that experience as well.  Novick is one of my favorite artists too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On to #5. I have a number 4 that is not as nice as Brad’s. I can’t remember where I got it though or how long I’ve had it. 

I just picked up this number 5 from a sale on the boards last month.

This issue begins Robin Hood which if I recall was picked up from Quality Comics and just started it’s own DC run in it’s own title. I liked these stories, though not quite as well as Viking Prince and Silent Knight.

82165F86-C30B-4A24-84B0-AD529F70DA57.jpeg

Edited by Silver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BB 6. I bought this one years ago. Up until about a year ago I used ComicBase to track my collection (why I stopped and what I use now is a another story). ComicBase for some bizarre reason kept showing the value of BB 6 as some insane amount many multiple higher than the surrounding issues. I didn't have a copy at the time, but felt like I needed one ASAP since I had no clue why it was valued so high (like 3-4K in fine). I found this copy somewhere, most likely CLINK or Heritage and jumped on it, probably paid a few hundred. For awhile this was my lowest numbered issue, then I got the number 1. Anyways, nothing really special about this issue other the the fine people at ComicBase thought it was special xD

87AEE2EA-8BE3-4D50-84DB-064E0CDA6D39.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Silver said:

BB 6. I bought this one years ago. Up until about a year ago I used ComicBase to track my collection (why I stopped and what I use now is a another story). ComicBase for some bizarre reason kept showing the value of BB 6 as some insane amount many multiple higher than the surrounding issues. I didn't have a copy at the time, but felt like I needed one ASAP since I had no clue why it was valued so high (like 3-4K in fine). I found this copy somewhere, most likely CLINK or Heritage and jumped on it, probably paid a few hundred. For awhile this was my lowest numbered issue, then I got the number 1. Anyways, nothing really special about this issue other the the fine people at ComicBase thought it was special xD

87AEE2EA-8BE3-4D50-84DB-064E0CDA6D39.jpeg

Perhaps they gave it a little premium in value because it is scarcer than the already scarce issues around it?  I don't have one yet, and I think opportunities have been pretty much non-existent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The number seven is a really great cover, I love the colors of the book and the two Silent Knights. I’m actually on my second copy of this one, a 7.0. My first copy was a 6.5. Why did I upgrade a 6.5 to a 7.0? I forgot I had the 6.5 🤣😂 

That’s why lists and databases are so important, of course you have to refer to them too!

Brad should post his number eight too since mine (while once) is his under copy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Silver said:

The number seven is a really great cover, I love the colors of the book and the two Silent Knights. I’m actually on my second copy of this one, a 7.0. My first copy was a 6.5. Why did I upgrade a 6.5 to a 7.0? I forgot I had the 6.5 🤣😂 

That’s why lists and databases are so important, of course you have to refer to them too!

Brad should post his number eight too since mine (while once) is his under copy. 

Ask and ye shall receive...my #8 - another Robin Hood cover - an upgrade I picked up last November.  There isn't a finer copy graded by CGC on the census (although there are three others just below at a grade of 8.0)

B&B8front2032544002.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 9 is a really pretty 7.5. It’s a cover I really like due to the colors and the Silent Knight. I would post 10, but I know Brad has a pretty special copy of that issue. 

Edited by Silver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2020 at 9:43 PM, adamstrange said:

Me too.

One of the highlights of my Convention experience was to escort Mr & Mrs Irv Novak to a dinner in their honor.  I was pleased to be able to say "thank you" to the artist of one of my favorite series, especially when I knew that was unlikely that anyone was going to point out this particular part of his distinguished career.

I think I read (maybe in an early Alter Ego or CBM) that Novack was somewhat stand-offish talk about his career and looked upon it as just a job.  I looked for the article but couldn't find it; however, I did find this from Mark Evanier noting Novack's death - https://www.newsfromme.com/2004/10/15/irv-novick-r-i-p/  (There is more to the article than what I pasted below).

"I was honored and frustrated to interview Irv on several convention panels over the years — an impossible task, for in front of an audience and microphone, he claimed to remember very little of his career and to have absolutely no fondness for any job or character over any other. Apart from a mild preference for working with his friend and neighbor, Bob Kanigher, he insisted it didn't matter. "I just drew what they gave me to draw," he'd say. "If it was Batman or Captain Storm or Flash…I didn't care." Some of his contemporaries would chide him for saying such things, for they'd seen the care and effort that went into Novick's pages…and in private, talking one-on-one with the man, you wouldn't get quite such a noncommittal attitude. And of course, you'd know it wasn't true when you looked at his art. I'm going to miss seeing him at conventions and trying with no success to get a decent answer out of the guy. He leaves behind an amazing body of top-notch comic illustration."

I too loved his work, both GA and SA.  Just curious if he was open and freely talked about his past work when you were with him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0