• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave and the Bold collecting thread - 2.0!
1 1

183 posts in this topic

B&B 44
Washtone covers are little treasures all by themselves regardless of the artist, but even within this cover art genre, Kubert made criminally few contributions. Some really nice ones are Showcase 25, GIC 85, 88, 102, 109, OAAW 49, 124, & SSWS 45. But this B&B 44 washtone Kubert cover is in another stratosphere. I don't recall that level of urgency and outright ferocity on any DC comics of that time period or before B&B 44 with a couple notable exceptions. Maybe not an accident that 2 of my 3 fav Kubert covers of all time are washtones. . .this one and GIC 78 (the other one is OAAW 112--not a washtone, but indeed iconic) are examples of just how resonant Kubert's impact was. There's no mistaking it. 
Which one of the two entities on the cover of B&B 44 is going prevail? The Thanagarian humanoid with wings and just a mace on a chain? Or the might of a spaceship traveling at extreme momentum with laser beams blasting? 

If you answered that the laser shooting spaceship behemoth was the victor, you're wrong. 
Hawkman
is
going
to
pound
his
formidable
adversary
into
space
dust.

That interior page ain't nothin' to shake a stick at either.

bb44c.jpg

bb44i.jpg

Edited by comick1

On 1/7/2023 at 11:39 PM, comick1 said:

B&B 43
Holy frijole, I love this issue! The composition and the dynamics of the panels here are utterly mind boggling. Just check out the angularity, acrobatics, and majestry of the figures as they hurtle through the air. I WISH Kubert took up more real estate in the superhero genre because I'd have collected a LOT more of them if Superman, Batman, GL, Flash, and WW had interior stories that looked like these pages. They all had wonderful artistic contributions made by their own stable of artists, but the B&B Hawkmans are just unbelievable. Humminah humminah humminah, I'd love to own those two pages of original art side by side!

bb43c.jpg

bb43ia.jpg

bb43ib.jpg

I happen to like this issue also.  But I'm glad Kubert didn't do more superhero stuff.  I don't know that his style would have synced well with Superman or Batman.  Heath did the odd hero book (Iron Fist, Punisher, etc.) and it never quite worked.  I think Hawkman, who he had drawn back in the late 40s-50s, just worked out right due to the character.  

joe kubert b&b 43 splash.jpg

Okie dokie, moving right along. Phase three of Brave and the Bold to me starts with issue 50, the team-ups! Phase 1 was issue 1-24, the pre-hero issues. Phase 2 was the tryout phase. To me at least phase three starts with issue 50 when the team ups start. So what is 45-49? An intermission of sorts. Palate cleanser? Strange Sports Stories! Most notably by the incomparable Carmine Infantino. I can not overstate how much I enjoyed all five of these issues as a kid. I literally read them to death. They’re just fun and different. Not high on most collectors list and undoubtably less expensive than most other issues, but worthy books nonetheless! 

CF7991D5-7AC1-4B74-AC5A-F8C21FD5B823.jpeg

On 1/12/2023 at 1:12 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

And 49 is another Gorilla cover.  DC and their gorillas...geez...Well, at least this one is not Part Three...:roflmao:

36364808535_f9c7756c54_c.jpg

I don't have any of the SSS issues of B&B, but as memory serves, Infantino gets to ink most of [perhaps all of?] his own pencils. I remember thinking that if I liked sports more, these might be a bit more compelling to me, but I balanced that against the beautiful art inside. Wonder if any of the original art exists.

I can kick off the team-up issues...

I remember reading a reprint of this story in one of the DC 100-pagers in the '70s, and really wanted to get a copy of this book for that reason.

For some reason it's a tough book to find in decent grade (it took me 18 years to find this copy), and I love the color combination of green, purple, red and yellow on the cover...

BATB50.thumb.jpg.7a9641d22da93ee9f889b474a59d4f15.jpg

On 2/7/2023 at 12:22 AM, silverseeker said:

I can kick off the team-up issues...

I remember reading a reprint of this story in one of the DC 100-pagers in the '70s, and really wanted to get a copy of this book for that reason.

For some reason it's a tough book to find in decent grade (it took me 18 years to find this copy), and I love the color combination of green, purple, red and yellow on the cover...

BATB50.thumb.jpg.7a9641d22da93ee9f889b474a59d4f15.jpg

Great book.  I had a 9.6 but sold it years back :cry: