• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age pedigree thread
3 3

531 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 7:03 PM, Dr. Love said:

In my mind I see

Death - on wings of flame, so bright

You and I...tonight

Too kinky for me. O.o I'm much more conventional. A nice unhurried interlude with a  lithesome lass in a clean bed is the sum total of my own fantasy quotient.

:50849494_winkemoji:

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/26/2024 at 7:03 PM, Dr. Love said:

In my mind I see

Death - on wings of flame, so bright

You and I...tonight

Did not foresee that twist ending...

On 5/26/2024 at 2:47 PM, Ghost Town said:

I'm about to use the word "provenance" again, again!

Here's a story of provenance lost and found: In 2011, Heritage started listing a bunch of incredibly high grade FF books in an auction. They called the books "The North Star Collection."

The back cover of one of the books caught my eye because Heritage had a sticker with the consignor's name on the back cover. Oops! (See below.)

At least a few people knew that a well-known comic artist had acquired all the Curator FFs after #1. (That was before Tom Brulato bought some of the other big Marvel titles through John Hauser.) So I called Heritage and said, "Hey, you should know those FFs are from the Curator collection." Heritage quickly had CGC re-holder the books with the proper pedigree designation. (Snarky aside: My thank you note must have been lost in the mail.)

53746749093_7cb64ae24a_b.jpg

And here's a book I didn't win with either label:

The back covers do often tell the biggest story of a book's quality.  The back cover has to reflect the grade shown on the front to the same degree.   Personally I've only had a few curator books, and only the Hollywood Hills books were consistently high quality from back and front covers from my knowledge.

But with the example at hand a FF#2 no less, thats a staggering degree of condition on show from the curator pedigree.

On 5/23/2024 at 10:38 PM, Ghost Town said:

These are all Golden State books. I'm probably biased because I own lot of GS books but I think they're pretty great. Probably not quite up there with the Curator or Pacific Coast books because the runs started later. But I think they're nicer than most SA pedigrees.

29975029053_9f4a083298_b.jpg

29740082483_29b8d9edd7_b.jpg

29495364783_dda0fc354d_b.jpg

29495363943_10fe83fda3_b.jpg

(worship)(worship)(worship)Sweet Baby Jesus, Barton! And I thought your PF books were impressive!

On 5/28/2024 at 11:27 AM, Ghost Town said:

I was told by a Green River fanatic this GR book.

30481865875_7429b5c6a8_b.jpg

Like this one:

30256454062_a46e9d06ef_b.jpg

You've knocked it out of the park once again.   I never had a high regard for this pedigree, but these two examples are clearly exceptional.