• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have Pulps become the next “big thing”?
3 3

75 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2024 at 9:59 PM, waaaghboss said:

Kinda hoping the whole thing crashes and burns and we can go back to pre 2018 pricing 😈 

That only works if the inventory also goes back to 2018. I wish I'd kept a few of mine. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

No matter how much it catches on, there's gonna be some issues now where it's more common to see them slabbed than "raw" (and I can't even believe I'm using that word).  So to get (what's already likely an expensive issue in the first place) you're paying at least the extra 50 bucks someone paid for the grade and press and likely much more extra because "look, it's in a shiny box."  In the comics down in my lowroller ballpark, viola, a 75 or 100 dollar book is now instantly a 250 or 300 dollar book.  Not to mention it's giving a helluva lot of agency/cream to a third party.  I see around here all the time "buy the book not the grade," then why the hell pay all the extra costs for the grading?  In the Baker thread, for example, I see books in the 3.0 range that are much more appealing to the eye than others graded up around 5-6.  If the comic ain't leaving the box anyways, why pay multiples more for a book that looks half as nice?  Worried about resto or trimming? Because other people are?  Because you're worried about your investment?  If you don't know it's there, should it really bother you?  I see on threads where people are perfectly happy with a book until some little defect comes to their awareness and then they just have to sell.  Because of the idea of perfection.  What I truly get a kick out of, though, are the people that are slabbing willy nilly, like some modern book in mid-grade.  It's like, bro, put that slabbing cost towards a better copy and you could own 3 of the mintiest of the same book.  And then there's the fact that sometimes a book being CGC'd actually creates a situation where a buyer has no recourse.  A pal bought a slabbed expensive book to get some missing pages for a scan, cracks it, and, viola, missing cf.  Is the seller at fault?  Not really, how's he supposed to know?  No returns on slabs - and now it's not slabbed anyways.  CGC gonna kick down in this instance? sheeeeeit.....

But :deadhorse: :roflmao:

GAC is right, collectors gonna collect. I'll just try not to cry too much over the prices doubling :goodvsevil: And I won't be if I ever sell my girlie pulps :kidaround:

On 2/26/2024 at 1:53 AM, Darwination said:

No matter how much it catches on, there's gonna be some issues now where it's more common to see them slabbed than "raw" (and I can't even believe I'm using that word).  So to get (what's already likely an expensive issue in the first place) you're paying at least the extra 50 bucks someone paid for the grade and press and likely much more extra because "look, it's in a shiny box."  In the comics down in my lowroller ballpark, viola, a 75 or 100 dollar book is now instantly a 250 or 300 dollar book.  Not to mention it's giving a helluva lot of agency/cream to a third party.  I see around here all the time "buy the book not the grade," then why the hell pay all the extra costs for the grading?  In the Baker thread, for example, I see books in the 3.0 range that are much more appealing to the eye than others graded up around 5-6.  If the comic ain't leaving the box anyways, why pay multiples more for a book that looks half as nice?  Worried about resto or trimming? Because other people are?  Because you're worried about your investment?  If you don't know it's there, should it really bother you?  I see on threads where people are perfectly happy with a book until some little defect comes to their awareness and then they just have to sell.  Because of the idea of perfection.  What I truly get a kick out of, though, are the people that are slabbing willy nilly, like some modern book in mid-grade.  It's like, bro, put that slabbing cost towards a better copy and you could own 3 of the mintiest of the same book.  And then there's the fact that sometimes a book being CGC'd actually creates a situation where a buyer has no recourse.  A pal bought a slabbed expensive book to get some missing pages for a scan, cracks it, and, viola, missing cf.  Is the seller at fault?  Not really, how's he supposed to know?  No returns on slabs - and now it's not slabbed anyways.  CGC gonna kick down in this instance? sheeeeeit.....

I had to doublecheck to see if I hadn't somehow opened a thread from 2003.

On 2/25/2024 at 3:54 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

If, as noted above, there are already graded copies, when will the stats appear at Key Collector, GPAnalysis, GoCollect?

I don't know about those, but they started showing up HERE!

2502240400451.jpg2502240358321.jpg2502240355211.jpg2502240353251.jpg2502240349591.jpg2502240349141.jpg2502240346491.jpg2502240344111.jpg2502240342111.jpg

On 2/26/2024 at 11:39 AM, GACollectibles said:

I don't know about those, but they started showing up HERE!

2502240400451.jpg2502240358321.jpg2502240355211.jpg2502240353251.jpg2502240349591.jpg2502240349141.jpg2502240346491.jpg2502240344111.jpg2502240342111.jpg

Very cool. Hope you don’t mind a few questions. Were you satisfied with the grades and process?  Care to share what the average price of slabbing all in is?  Do they take up an ungainly amount of space?  Are any of those books worth more than a $1000 in your estimation?  Thanks for sharing. 

On 2/26/2024 at 2:08 PM, ThothAmon said:

Very cool. Hope you don’t mind a few questions. Were you satisfied with the grades and process?  Care to share what the average price of slabbing all in is?  Do they take up an ungainly amount of space?  Are any of those books worth more than a $1000 in your estimation?  Thanks for sharing. 

@Triston Pence (they are his books)

On 2/25/2024 at 10:54 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

If, as noted above, there are already graded copies, when will the stats appear at Key Collector, GPAnalysis, GoCollect?

Heard back from GoCollect: No plans to add pulps for the foreseeable future. However, they added they would check to see if this is something that could be considered sooner rather than later.

There are a few graded pulps on eBay too. High prices!

I feel like it's going to be difficult to figure out what a deal is or what an overpay is for awhile.

Hopefully, the prices for my cheap VG+ to Fine books don't get slabbed and remain relatively affordable.

On 2/27/2024 at 6:23 AM, johnenock said:

There are a few graded pulps on eBay too. High prices!

I feel like it's going to be difficult to figure out what a deal is or what an overpay is for awhile.

Hopefully, the prices for my cheap VG+ to Fine books don't get slabbed and remain relatively affordable.

I just don’t know what they are worth anymore. Obviously going up especially slabbed. The ones posted above are most likely over $400 but $1,000? Any 6.0 or better for sure. There is so very little documentation on pulp sales except maybe EBay or Heritage. Many probably have no sales records. CGC doesn’t know and seems to being leaving it to us when we list insurance coverage.

As far as overpaying is concerned, it is intimately up to you to decide if it is worth it to you. Like comics, pay what makes you comfortable. In all my years collecting, if I felt I over paid at time of purchase, I laugh at those prices now. I also to keep my stuff long term anyway. 

Pulps are the wild, Wild West right now.

Awesome post, thanks for the breakdown.  That Complete Gang is a peach.  You should get a good comp (or at least an initial comp) on that Saucy, saw one in a similar grade in the April HA auction.  No mention of staple rust is not good, but it's not like you get that mentioned in pulp listings often anyways.   I like a nice pic of the ifc spread in eBay listings (and even the ibc spread), gives an idea of page color for inner covers and pulp pages as well a look at the staples.  The color touch denotation is necessary for sure, and I'm guessing they note glue on cover but not glue at the inner binding?

I think Weird Tales prices will take off (as if they hadn't already).  So many people have collected those for so long, if you had the dough you can actually get a set - don't doubt we have members that already do or are close.  Probably my favorite pulp but I already don't even pick them up except for later issues (read non-Brundage or beater Brundage) cuz they are pricey.