• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have Pulps become the next “big thing”?
3 3

75 posts in this topic

Honored to post the first thread in this new category. It suggests to me, something I have known for years.

Seen a lot of interest in the past few years and seen a lot of new collectors.

It is only just a matter of time before these will be graded and I will probably be priced out...:sorry:

Pulps are getting more popular  because the value seems low on them and they have great painted covers, so definitely I think their popularity is going up.  I think people are tired of paying the nosebleed prices for pre-code horror etc.

You will certainly see an increase and steady growth in the pulp market with exposure.  I’m happy to see a new collectors come into the market!

However pulp prices  in general will never come remotely close to the higher end prices of comics because there aren’t enough of them around, therefore you can’t have repeated sales over and over, driving them up as high as Comics.

I think in the future you are  going to see more pulps come to market, but not necessarily because of the price increase,  but rather the demographics of the pulp collectors.   Many serious pulp collectors are elderly and they’re starting to either thin out their collection, sell them off completely, or they are left in their estates for their families to sell.  

Most (but not all) comic collectors  that come into the pulp market see pulps as cool and the value is fairly low,  but the bottom line is they still like the Comics more.

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Honored to post the first thread in this new category. It suggests to me, something I have known for years.

Seen a lot of interest in the past few years and seen a lot of new collectors.

It is only just a matter of time before these will be graded and I will probably be priced out...:sorry:

Wow, if CGC is breaking it into a separate category, yes, slabbing can't be far off i'd assume. 

..I think @Dr. Love may be owing that cup of coffee to @MrBedrock :gossip: :kidaround:

10 minutes ago, detective35 said:

Pulps will never get to the price of the comics because there aren’t enough of them around therefore you can’t have repeated sales over and over driving them up as high as Comics.

Most (but not all) comic collectors  that come into the pulp market see pulps as cool and the value is fairly low,  but the bottom line is they still like the Comics more.

I would never be crazy enough to argue the Pulp market with a seasoned veteran like yourself, but looking at it from a strictly collectible standpoint: We will see,as it is uncharted territory. 

As more people come into the hobby, and there being so little to go around as you say on number of copies, that in my view would only drive prices up as it will come down to 'now or never' . 

And we may get some 'repeat' as flipping is always a factor.

Across the board, yes, it will probably never get to comics level  (but look at slabbed video games :whatthe: ). And i certainly see slabbed copies of the first Tarzan, Shadow, Doc Savage and Conan hitting comic book levels in high grade copies. 

Again @detective35 not challenging your experience (worship) , just saying i really believe this will come down to a 'we will see' thing :foryou:

I expect sustained steady growth in value on pulps easily even without grading the interest is exploding in this tech era where we easily can see all these beautiful covers, if grading really happens then kiss these entry prices bye bye, I have been heavily investing into pulps over the last two years because comics just got ridiculous. 

..and think of all the possible Threads now: 

Weird Tales

Girly

Bolles

Saunders

Spicy

Western

Shadow

Doc Savage

Marvel

Horror

Love

Weird Menace

Gruesome

and on and on...should be a lot of fun! :tink:

Edited by sagii

I have almost always bought pulps. I still and will always prefer comics because of the stories and art. As well as the characters. Pulps have always and even to this day been a real bargain compared to pulps if you are a cover collector such as myself.

They have been "uncharted waters" for years. Very little refrence and those who collect them for whatever reason have been very secretive about them. Prices have remained low and for the most part, very hard to find.

I have collected comics for over 50 years. Been there, done that. Not much I haven't seen. Pulps, on the other hand, are always fresh with so many discoveries. I can't see myself going crazy with them. I will continue to buy the ones I like when the opportunity presents it's self. Besides, they take up a lot more room than I wish to dedicate to them at this point.

20 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I still and will always prefer comics because of the stories and art

I believe that echoes what Dwight stated earlier. Comic collectors will be tempted by pulps but remain mainly in comics. That's what happened to me. I took my first dive into pulps 15 years ago, attended a couple of pulp cons but still spent most of my collecting time on comics. I can enjoy comics much more with my limited time than I can pulps. Plus, collecting pulps is picking here and there and it's tougher to work on a run or specific want list I found. Still love them vicariously though boardies collecting pulps so I am excited to see this sub-forum.

I mean would I pay $10-20 for a pulp with a cool cover? Sure. But that would be the high end for me. I can never see myself spending more because I’d rather spend that on comics. We might see certain covers that are horror or headlights or sci fi related go up a but but I can’t see it becoming a booming market. 

Does anyone have a VF copy of a pulp from the 30s or 40s? Every copy I’ve ever seen is 2.0-5.0 at best. Then again I don’t see many cuz they aren’t really on the radar.

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I mean would I pay $10-20 for a pulp with a cool cover? Sure. But that would be the high end for me. I can never see myself spending more because I’d rather spend that on comics. We might see certain covers that are horror or headlights or sci fi related go up a but but I can’t see it becoming a booming market. 

Does anyone have a VF copy of a pulp from the 30s or 40s? Every copy I’ve ever seen is 2.0-5.0 at best. Then again I don’t see many cuz they aren’t really on the radar.

Just like old comics, the vast majority of old pulps are in low grade.  But high-grade is out there if you are patient and lucky. 

And sure, there are a ton of $1 to $20 pulps out there.  Pretty much every low-grade romance, sci-fi, western and detective from the 40s and 50s falls into that range.  But there are a TON of pulps that sell for way more than $10-20.