• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your AMAZING STORIES covers.
2 2

101 posts in this topic

Were Amazing Stories covers cut better than most other pulps?  I was looking at a bunch of copies of the August 1928 Amazing Stories ("the Buck Rogers cover that is not really a Buck Rogers cover") in the Heritage archives and the edges seem to be uniformly pretty clean, with almost none of the overhang and resulting heavily chipped edges that's so common in many other pulp titles.

Was there better quality control of the printing process or was there just rampant (and undisclosed) trimming of the book because it's so popular?

On 3/2/2024 at 2:19 AM, tth2 said:

Were Amazing Stories covers cut better than most other pulps?  I was looking at a bunch of copies of the August 1928 Amazing Stories ("the Buck Rogers cover that is not really a Buck Rogers cover") in the Heritage archives and the edges seem to be uniformly pretty clean, with almost none of the overhang and resulting heavily chipped edges that's so common in many other pulp titles.

Was there better quality control of the printing process or was there just rampant (and undisclosed) trimming of the book because it's so popular?

I find they don't have the overhang issue like the others do better cutting i think 

On 3/1/2024 at 11:19 PM, tth2 said:

The bedsheet issues of Amazing Stories were all factory trimmed, as far as I know.  The very few I have:

Amazing_Stories_1927_September.thumb.jpg.3cd6509041b3b6e745e0900b7d33270e.jpg

Amazing_Stories_1928_August.thumb.jpg.688393a3522f81b885e41393e185b160.jpg

Amazing_Stories_1929_March.thumb.jpg.0a47a71002f76d111d5752e0a21fe0a0.jpg

On 3/3/2024 at 1:18 AM, OtherEric said:

The bedsheet issues of Amazing Stories were all factory trimmed, as far as I know.  The very few I have:

Thanks, but do you have a scan that shows the edges?

On 3/3/2024 at 1:18 AM, OtherEric said:

The bedsheet issues of Amazing Stories were all factory trimmed, as far as I know.

Is there a difference between "factory trimmed" and "printed with proper quality control"?

On 3/2/2024 at 11:15 PM, tth2 said:

Is there a difference between "factory trimmed" and "printed with proper quality control"?

Actually, from what I was told, the untrimmed pulp is an effort in cost savings so that the price and product could maintain a low cost, cavalier affordability. As a HG enthusiast, you might occasionally find a factory trimmed pulp like Weird Tales or Amazing Stories to meet your standards. Definitely needle in a haystack challenging. Glue waves would be the other restraining factor. GOD BLESS .... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 3/2/2024 at 12:18 PM, OtherEric said:

The previous owner knew what was really important about this issue, the first appearance of The Skylark of Space series.

On 3/4/2024 at 7:56 AM, RedFury said:

The previous owner knew what was really important about this issue, the first appearance of The Skylark of Space series.

The thing is, no less an authority than Isaac Asimov identified the book as one of the three times in SF where a new writer appeared and suddenly they were clearly the best SF writer and all the others were trying to catch up.  (The other two were Stanley G. Weinbaum and Robert Heinlein.) The first E. E. "Doc" Smith story and classic cover  would probably make this one of the top 10 SF pulps even if the Nowlan story wasn't there.

I don't own one (or the Amazing) but I'd far prefer a Aug 1928 WT: re space opera it features the first half of 'Crashing Suns' by Edmond Hamilton, the first story in his 'Interstellar Patrol' series. As the title implies, Hamilton's yarn goes far beyond a little space chase. REH too (Solomon Kane!), and the first sale for a young Tennessee Williams...

crashingsuns.jpg

Edited by Pat Calhoun

On 3/4/2024 at 1:41 PM, RedFury said:

It's funny how hugely important sci-fi works are overshadowed by other things in both those issues.

I have copy of the Aug 1928 Weird Tales signed by Tennessee Williams.

hrHDg7Fl.jpg 5Ogz3onl.jpg

Incredible.  Thanks for the pics of this.