• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurricane Katrina

227 posts in this topic

I hope to heck we don't start seeing a lot of water damaged books coming up for sale on Ebay in the next few months.

916227-fish_slab.jpg

sign-funnypost.gif Hey Vince, did you get taken over by Red Hook's soul or something? 893applaud-thumb.gif

I truly laughed out loud at that one.

I didn't evacuate as I live about 100 miles east of New Orleans. I will say when you see reports of people losing their loved ones because they couldn't hold on to them while the flood waters were reaching their roofs, the last thing you think of is losing comic books or any other item you may own.

A tragedy like this should never occur here in the US. In hindsight, the best option would've been to drive the wife and kids a couple of hundred miles away from the storm, and stay in a hotel until the hurricane passed. I hope that more people would evacuate next time when they hear a major storm is approaching. It just isn't worth taking the risk.

A tragedy like this should never occur here in the US. In hindsight, the best option would've been to drive the wife and kids a couple of hundred miles away from the storm, and stay in a hotel until the hurricane passed. I hope that more people would evacuate next time when they hear a major storm is approaching. It just isn't worth taking the risk.

The problem is some people cannot afford to evacuate. Another problem is the ones who did get out of New Orleans do not have anything to get back to. It could be 6 months before power is back.

Some people also make calculated risks in staying so they can loot when everybody else is gone. The reports you see of people getting stranded are some of those who thought if they could survive the storm, the city would be theirs.

Everybody should get out. However, everytime something likes this happens, people ignore the warnings thinking they can make it because the other hurricanes were not that big.

Really awful. I've been watching the news all day. I remember when this storm was going through S. Florida and I thought nothing of it. It got so strong so fast. Those looters really [embarrassing lack of self control] me off though. I always think back to Andrew when I saw a guy sitting on his property with a shotgun and a sign next to him reading, "looters will be shot on sight." It really angers me to see the police there unable to do anything because they have no way of communicating with other officers and inturn are always outnumbered by looters. Just need a couple .50 cals in there...

Out of curiosity, have we heard from all of the members that live in the path of destruction?

Also out of curiosity (even though it is very petty), were there any notable books held there? Any pedigreed books that someone in New Orleans owned? I'm sure since 80% of the city is flooded that alll of the comic stores there have lost everything. Any confirmation on this? I hope maybe they lucked out.

I'm sure that many collectibles and irreplaceable valuables were lost to Katrina. The museums likely got wiped, too.

But who cares? Means nothing in the grand scheme, not with bodies floating by people standing on their rooftops. Absolutely chilling. I agree with skybolt, this should never have happened in America. I know you can't stop a natural disaster, but there seem to be some serious accountability problems regarding how this is being handled right now. I know hindsight is 20/20 and all, but better preparation by the state and federal gov definitely seems to have been in order.

The problem is some people cannot afford to evacuate.

Ok, this is going to seem really dumb, so somebody feel free to slap me upside the head and school me on why this would be illogical....but if you got 48 hrs advance notice that your entire area would be decimated...I dunno, couldn't you just like grab a backpack and start running? I guess I can't figure out why it takes wealth to skip out of town. I certainly understand that it would be easier to skip out with some cash, and you could of course get out quicker...but still, hey, your life is in danger, put on your reeboks and walk for 30 hours! You know? Maybe a person wouldn't clear the danger zone fast enough, but you'd at least have a fighting chance. No money for food? Scrounge around, beg, go without, whatever. At least you're alive. No place to live? Camp outside. I mean, it's better than dying, isn't it? I just can't understand that...

I also realize that there are some folks who can't walk, are seriously ill, etc. That's a different story...but take my dad, for example. There's no way he could walk more than a couple of blocks. He's 76 yrs old. But if I had no transportation and 48 hrs advance notice, I'll be damned if I'd sit by and let him die. He's got a large wheelbarrow in the toolshed, and I'd handcart him night and day if I had to.

I dunno, it's just so tragic. I see this footage and I just start yelling at the tv, "why didn't you run?!"

balls! common sense says to stay because this has never happened before. Ho wmany times do they warn that a serious storm will come and it blows over? Plus as it was pointed out, most of the really bad off stranded peole still stuck in town just could not afford to leave nor afford a place to stay. New Orleans is/was a pretty poor city.

And - - its wasnt only the Hurricane that caused this disaster but the collapse of the levees. The city survived pretty well all in all, but now NO is lost to flooding because of the levee damage... which... to get a bit political... apparently was caused in part by actions taken by this administration. Apparently, (I say that because I have read one piece about it) they cut existing funding for studies and improvements to the levee and pump system. These budget cuts were taken IN SPITE of widespread agreement that this kind of disaster scenario was the #2 possible predicted US disaster after another NYC terrorist attack. This was not a surprise development to those who "know about these things". Also, wetlands legislations promoted and enacted by this administration reverrsed trends to strengthen the wetlands which, as ecologists and environmental scientists have determined, work to diminish sea surges like what happened this week.

anyway, I dont think this or any administration CAUSED this, but, Im sure we all agree, politics and greed always work against common sense. I mean, this city exists BELOW sea level, surrounded by water!! These levees and pumps were a necessity, w/o them there'd have been a lake in downtown years ago like there is today. So wouldnt you think that a government that exists to protect the people and their lives (both local an dfederal) saw this coming and should have taken steps to prevent it, and/or, never allow a city to even have been built in such a defenseless location?? If that is, goevernment didnt actually consist of a never ending series of selfish money-based deals between private interests and politicians??

one more thing, I hope this event serves as visible reminder that ALL of our coastal cities are in danger from the rising ocean level. Boston, Washington NYC etc can ALL look like this in our lifetimes due to global warming. Its time to get serious!! This was a 12 foot increase right? thats well within projected sea level increases.

Aman, I totally agree with your critique of our present administration....once the bleeding stops, I can't see how there won't be some very serious congressional hearings about the way this was handled. It's just so amazingly....well, I can't find the word that describes it... frown.gif

Aman, I totally agree with your critique of our present administration....once the bleeding stops, I can't see how there won't be some very serious congressional hearings about the way this was handled. It's just so amazingly....well, I can't find the word that describes it... frown.gif

Im not a big anti-Bush booster by any means, but - - they have been, and continue to be, so wrong about so many things. Good thing for term limits, huh?

Also, wetlands legislations promoted and enacted by this administration reverrsed trends to strengthen the wetlands which, as ecologists and environmental scientists have determined, work to diminish sea surges like what happened this week.

How the 893censored-thumb.gif does a swamp a 100 miles inland stop a Hurricane!?

Should they get the ckicken bones and tea leaves out for next hurricane season so they'll be safe?