• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Combined investment will cause Golden Age (Collectors) to explode
3 3

573 posts in this topic

When I said that some of you guys were the ones making the mess getting schwifty in here, I didn't realize you'd think it was a roll call.

Stream SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT (Techno Mix) by Ryan 'Nico' Nicholson | Listen  online for free on SoundCloud

The fact that most of you have no idea what I'm talking about is quite appropriate, since much of what is unique to this century is pretty much not in your grasp.  Such is life.

Edited by valiantman

On 8/31/2021 at 7:34 PM, valiantman said:

When I said that some of you guys were the ones making the mess getting schwifty in here, I didn't realize you'd think it was a roll call.

Stream SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT (Techno Mix) by Ryan 'Nico' Nicholson | Listen  online for free on SoundCloud

The fact that most of you have no idea what I'm talking about is quite appropriate, since much of what is unique to this century is pretty much not in your grasp.  Such is life.

poopy-vac.gif.d116ed15b482f8b1af8e675750c63ded.gif

On 8/31/2021 at 7:34 PM, valiantman said:

Case in point...

Founded in 2016, Rally is arguably now leading the way in the increasingly popular market for rare collectibles as alternative asset investments. The 33-employee company made an estimated $6 million in revenue last year, according to research firm PrivCo, while seeing its number of new users double each month since the pandemic hit. The company now boasts more than 300,000 users ⁠— with an average age of about 29 ⁠— investing in more than 300 items, which have an estimated total value of more than $35 million.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/31/rally-co-founder-on-record-sale-of-super-mario-bros-nfts-investing.html

I guess I just lost my title as RallyRd's biggest cheerleader.  Looks like CNBC took the crown from me today.

Hold onto your trusses, the world's gonna spin without your approval!

Edited by valiantman

On 8/31/2021 at 8:44 PM, vheflin said:
On 8/31/2021 at 8:07 PM, valiantman said:

The company now boasts more than 300,000 users

translation: 300k lifetime website hits

... starting to look desperate. :gossip:

You might as well have said "users schmusers".

Edited by valiantman

On 8/31/2021 at 9:08 PM, vheflin said:
On 8/31/2021 at 8:57 PM, valiantman said:

... starting to look desperate. :gossip:

You might as well have said "users schmusers".

ok, you're right, a bit unfair

retranslated: 300k unique lifetime website hits

They must have some smooth talkers to secure $100M in funding for 300k unique lifetime website hits. hm  Or maybe CNBC doesn't know as much as you do about this stuff.

Edited by valiantman

On 8/31/2021 at 1:33 PM, D84 said:

This is why I have valiantman on my ignore list. It makes life so much more enjoyable. 

+1

yeah, the last few posts pretty much confirmed what a :censored: this guys is.  I'm out. I only stumbled on this thread because people I know and respect were commenting on the thread and I got sucked in for a few pages and quickly realized this is :screwy: talk, but the aforementioned cheerleader's dismissive and arrogant tone coupled with with their inability to rationally think this through are a waste of my time. 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

I dunno… valiantman has been subjected to a lot of criticism and insults too.  For the longest time he just kep,replying civilly to every “No I don’t want to hear it and besides it a stupid idea so go away you Rally shill you.” I guess it’s human nature to finally snap and get a bit snarky.  

I think as your post reveals, his weakest argument has been referring to it in any way as collecting, especially here in the GA section.  I agree it’s an investment.  It’s an investment in something we all love and covet, but not really collecting.  I think to him, as he has described how he’d be calling his fractional ownership of the missing keys in his run part of his collection, that’s just not how other collectors will ever see it.  I get that.  I’m just surprised by the adamant pushback to the idea. Except for the collectors who just refuse to admit to ANY financial interest in their collections, our comics ARE increasing in value.. every 1000 we put in is worth more than we paid.  I’m all in for that, making (paper) money on something i love to collect anyway.  So making money investing in comics, especially a book I couldn’t buy outright, just doesn’t seem that far from what I’ve been doing for decades, had I not been able to buy the comics I did.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:00 AM, Transplant said:

I really love the work you do with the census.  I've personally used your site several times (single digits).  But your reaction to the feedback you're getting is a little petulant.  You earlier compared that feedback to people in your yard who won't leave.  Perhaps, it's you who came into this GA forum yard and started screaming for feedback.  Then, when you got it, you started to hurl insults at people telling them they're just too old or dumb or whatever to really understand it.  Because, if they didn't agree with you, something must be wrong.  Maybe, just maybe, they don't agree that there is a ton of ownership satisfaction or even investment potential in fractional share arrangements?  

Agreed.  Over a year and twenty pages later, I'm becoming a little petulant.  However, I've thought about this concept for twenty years, and I'm bombarded with kneejerk reactions from people who thought about the concept for twenty seconds.

Yes, this is the GA forum, but this is my topic.  Those who just want to come into my topic and tell me how I'm wrong would probably be quite upset if I showed up in the "Show Off Your Westerns" and pointed out how no one who's under the age of 147 cares about westerns anymore.  I'd be exaggerating, I'd be wrong, and I'd be doing it in their topic.  That would be ridiculous.

That's what I see here.

For those who think I should just "stick to Valiant" that modern publisher no one cares about, I guess I need to show my "qualifications" for talking about Golden Age comics, too.

I own 100% of this.  All of it.  It's 100% mine.  (Just clarifying for those who think I'm just a fractional investor.)  No.  It's 100% in my collection.

1676775147_0912959001_12001.jpg.eff5170d082af3af4888971e29ad14ff.jpg

No, this isn't the only Golden Age book in my collection, but it is the crown jewel of my Golden Age collection.  If I also owned a fraction of a real Action Comics #1, it would be icing on the cake, but the cake exists regardless.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:34 PM, valiantman said:

They must have some smooth talkers to secure $100M in funding for 300k unique lifetime website hits. hm  Or maybe CNBC doesn't know as much as you do about this stuff.

The amount of funding a company receives does not necessarily correlate to the quality of their business model.  The Bay Area is littered with easily over 100 companies that have left bigger holes in the ground with nothing to show for it.  I worked for one that turned money away for their 3rd and 4th round funding and had the top VC firms in the world providing capital only to leave ~$330 million dollar hole in the ground. 

On 9/1/2021 at 12:07 PM, valiantman said:

Agreed.  Over a year and twenty pages later, I'm becoming a little petulant.  However, I've thought about this concept for twenty years, and I'm bombarded with kneejerk reactions from people who thought about the concept for twenty seconds.

Yes, this is the GA forum, but this is my topic.  Those who just want to come into my topic and tell me how I'm wrong would probably be quite upset if I showed up in the "Show Off Your Westerns" and pointed out how no one who's under the age of 147 cares about westerns anymore.  I'd be exaggerating, I'd be wrong, and I'd be doing it in their topic.  That would be ridiculous.

That's what I see here.

In this thread I related stories of two different occasions where I was involved in talks to start hedge funds and/or investment vehicles specifically derived from collectibles. I have been a comics dealer for over forty years. I have thought a lot about comic investment and the many different possibilities. Possibly more than you, but certainly as much. You asked for opinions in "your topic" and among many others I was happy to give mine. Now you lump that opinion in with all of the other feedback and call it, and us, thoughtless and a knee-jerk reaction. Thanks brah.

Love your golden age books, but when you act like a doofus they don't give you any street cred.