• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Combined investment will cause Golden Age (Collectors) to explode
3 3

573 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

lol You're saying that a product intended to be given as a gift to make others feel good with no possible monetary value is somehow superior to the exact same thing WITH the possibility of monetary value?

I've got two wallets here... one is empty, the other has some amount of cash.  They're the same price.  You're taking the empty one? :golfclap: Brilliance!

No, I'm saying your analogy was horrible.  The purpose of buying a greeting card or a Star Registry is NOT to make money.  They are apples and oranges.  You are sinking on this one.

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

Does anyone know anyone who has invested a significant amount of money into this?

A couple hundred people have covered the cost of about $400,000 in comics thus far.  So, I don't believe anyone exists that would fit that description.

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:
3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

lol You're saying that a product intended to be given as a gift to make others feel good with no possible monetary value is somehow superior to the exact same thing WITH the possibility of monetary value?

I've got two wallets here... one is empty, the other has some amount of cash.  They're the same price.  You're taking the empty one? :golfclap: Brilliance!

No, I'm saying your analogy was horrible.  The purpose of buying a greeting card or a Star Registry is NOT to make money.  They are apples and oranges.  You are sinking on this one.

...and I'm saying that the Star Registry has exactly one purpose, while the idea that I could by someone a share in the 1st appearance of their favorite character not only meets the same purpose as the Star Registry, it ALSO has the potential to have a monetary value immediately or any other time in the future.

It's the Star Registry vs. the Star Registry for someone's favorite character.

The comic share idea is superior in every way to the Star Registry, even if it is ONLY ever used as a greeting card.

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

All you get to choose is what fractional share you choose to purchase.  You don't get to choose what Action 1 you get a fractional share in.  You don't get to choose how long to hold it.  You don't get to choose the price at which it sells.  You have no personal attributes of ownership.  You are not a "collector," but a speculator under this fractional share scheme.  And, no one will be impressed by your 1/10th of 1% fractional share interest in an Action 1.  

You should use a Daffy Duck avatar.

LOL!  But, my statement remain unaddressed.

Just now, valiantman said:

The comic share idea is superior in every way to the Star Registry, even if it is ONLY ever used as a greeting card.

I'll give you this.  The idea might have value as a greeting car or Star Registry product.  But it does not have value, in my eyes, as a way to collect comics or invest.

Just now, sfcityduck said:
  5 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:
   1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

All you get to choose is what fractional share you choose to purchase.  You don't get to choose what Action 1 you get a fractional share in.  You don't get to choose how long to hold it.  You don't get to choose the price at which it sells.  You have no personal attributes of ownership.  You are not a "collector," but a speculator under this fractional share scheme.  And, no one will be impressed by your 1/10th of 1% fractional share interest in an Action 1.  

You should use a Daffy Duck avatar.

LOL!  But, my statement remain unaddressed.

What statement?  "No one will be impressed by your 1/10th of 1% fractional share interest in an Action 1."?

Is that the statement?

What percent does anyone you know own of Amazon, Google, Tesla, Bitcoin, or any other thing they might want to purchase... and more importantly, do they give a rodent's gluteals what the spork you think?

Would you be better to buy an Action 1 interior page, cut it into small squares, encapsulate in plastics with a foil label and the sell for between $20 and $200 depending on where the square was cut from?  You get that fractional ownership everyone one really really wants. The item can appreciate in value if you can find someone to buy it from you for more. 

Edited by batman_fan

Bottom line... 

Someone says, "I would like to put some money into X".

It sounds like the answer is YES if that X is:

- company stock

- cryptocurrency

- certificates of deposit

- mutual funds

- derivatives of markets

- oil

- gold

- real estate

- hand sanitizer

...and the answer is NO if that X is:

- high grade key issues of comic books

...and I'm nuts for even suggesting it.

I don't think so.

I suppose I should also get off your lawn, stop riding my skateboard, and you'd like to speak to the manager of your nursing homes.  

Golden Age key comics will be much bigger soon, but this 20th-century thinking about what can't happen for the Golden Age is now worth about 10 cents.

Edited by valiantman

11 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Would you be better to buy an Action 1 interior page, cut it into small squares, encapsulate in plastics with a foil label and the sell for between $20 and $200 depending on where the square was cut from?  You get that fractional ownership everyone one really really wants. The item can appreciate in value if you can find someone to buy it from you for more. 

Because wanting to own a piece of Amazon means cutting the lid off an Amazon box and putting it in your wallet, not buying a share of the company, right?

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Bottom line... 

Someone says, "I would like to put some money into X".

It sounds like the answer is YES if that X is:

- company stock

- cryptocurrency

- certificates of deposit

- mutual funds

- derivatives of markets

- oil

- gold

- real estate

- hand sanitizer

...and the answer is NO if that X is:

- high grade key issues of comic books

...and I'm nuts for even suggesting it.

I don't think so.

I suppose I should also get off your lawn, stop riding my skateboard, and you'd like to speak to the manager of your nursing homes.  

Golden Age key comics will be much bigger soon, but this 20th-century thinking about what can't happen for the Golden Age is now worth about 10 cents.

I would say drop $50k into buying shares and then come on the board as you start trading or watching others trade and the value of your investment soars, rub everyone’s nose in it. People tend to be skeptical of new investments as they should but when they see you making a boat load of money they will change quick. 

I would say drop $50k into buying shares and then come on the board as you start trading or watching others trade and the value of your investment soars, rub everyone’s nose in it. People tend to be skeptical of new investments as they should but when they see you making a boat load of money they will change quick. 

If I had $50K, I'd buy All-Star #8.

That's the whole point... I don't have $50K.

Neither does 99.9% of the comic collectors walking around today.  I'm trying to find a way to get my money into actual keys, and others are buying up slabs of the 3rd print variant of the 1st appearance of the king of the symbiotes from which Venom was originated in the pages of the 26th year of the Spider-Man over 30 years ago in the form of a comic printed so recently the ink is basically still wet.

They're dropping a collective $50K on that junk like clockwork.

You guys own those Golden Age books, and I'm telling you that a system to offer those up to collectors STARVED for actual keys would be worth quite a premium IMMEDIATELY over what you're all paying each other.

What I'm getting back from this Golden Age category is basically just that sad trombone noise.

These books will still be here when we're not, and the system to invest in them in whole or in part will be as common as trading stocks on your phone is today.  

I'd like to see it sooner, rather than later, but not wanting to see it exist at all is troglodytic in 2020.

Edited by valiantman

Well, good luck with that, hopefully it doesnt backfire.  People are (correctly) wary of new get-rich schemes, as many fail.

25 minutes ago, valiantman said:

No - I do not want someone to put together $20,000,000 to $50,000,000 in comic books and offer me a share in that collection.

I want to choose whether I have 20% in Action Comics #1, 10% in Detective Comics #27, 5% in All-Star #8, and someone else will want to build a collection with 40% in Amazing Fantasy #15, 20% in Amazing Spider-Man #1, and some doofus will want to put $10 into Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell'Otto variant, so even that would be an option for him.

Again, there you go comparing apples to oranges to suit your narrative. My scenario of an investment fund was just that - an investment fund. No consideration on the investment side was ever given to collecting and no one who invests in it would probably even care what the physical assets of the funds are. All of that would be left to the fund managers. The only thing the investors would collect is (hopefully) profit.

You, on the otherhand, seem to waffle back and forth between what you envision. Your first post said the following -

I believe that the Golden Age, in particular (and key issues in other ages) is being held back significantly by the high entry point cost of collecting Golden Age. There are very, very few key issues in the Golden Age available for under $5,000, and most amazing keys are $500,000+.  Who is participating in these markets?  Very few people.  At some point, I predict there will be a way for ANYONE with $10 or $100 to invest in a Golden Age key issue. Yes, it would take thousands of people with $10 each to buy a $20,000 comic, but some will spend $100, and some will spend $500.  When it is possible for anyone to put $10, $100, or $1,000 into Golden Age key issues... they will absolutely skyrocket in value.

All of your initial post was geared toward investment and profitability. But now you say you want to collect pieces of comics, your choice, independent of potential value and gear the scheme toward the whims of collectors. That is a totally different idea, and one that an overwhelming number of opinions posted here have shown has an even smaller chance of success.

In summary (because I won't waste time posting in here again), your idea is a fun one but in my opinion - because you started this thread to ask for folks opinions - your idea doesn't have any chance whatsoever of becoming a viable reality.

Good Luck!

Just now, waaaghboss said:

Well, good luck with that, hopefully it doesnt backfire.  People are (correctly) wary of new get-rich schemes, as many fail.

If I invested in every cant lose opportunity offered up to me I would be penniless

1 minute ago, MrBedrock said:

Again, there you go comparing apples to oranges to suit your narrative. My scenario of an investment fund was just that - an investment fund. No consideration on the investment side was ever given to collecting and no one who invests in it would probably even care what the physical assets of the funds are. All of that would be left to the fund managers. The only thing the investors would collect is (hopefully) profit.

You, on the otherhand, seem to waffle back and forth between what you envision. Your first post said the following -

I believe that the Golden Age, in particular (and key issues in other ages) is being held back significantly by the high entry point cost of collecting Golden Age. There are very, very few key issues in the Golden Age available for under $5,000, and most amazing keys are $500,000+.  Who is participating in these markets?  Very few people.  At some point, I predict there will be a way for ANYONE with $10 or $100 to invest in a Golden Age key issue. Yes, it would take thousands of people with $10 each to buy a $20,000 comic, but some will spend $100, and some will spend $500.  When it is possible for anyone to put $10, $100, or $1,000 into Golden Age key issues... they will absolutely skyrocket in value.

All of your initial post was geared toward investment and profitability. But now you say you want to collect pieces of comics, your choice, independent of potential value and gear the scheme toward the whims of collectors. That is a totally different idea, and one that an overwhelming number of opinions posted here have shown has an even smaller chance of success.

In summary (because I won't waste time posting in here again), your idea is a fun one but in my opinion - because you started this thread to ask for folks opinions - your idea doesn't have any chance whatsoever of becoming a viable reality.

Good Luck!

I am waffling back and forth between whether collecting comics should include at least a PART of actual key issues to satisfy the collector in me, while also being a great investment since actual keys (such as those in the Golden Age) are absolutely great investments.

So, I'm waffling between being a collector and an investor.

Pretty much everyone here is also doing that same waffle dance.

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

If I invested in every cant lose opportunity offered up to me I would be penniless

If I invested in every traditional class of investment, I'd be as bored as I've been for 30 years with investing in every traditional class of investment.

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If I invested in every traditional class of investment, I'd be as bored as I've been for 30 years with investing in every traditional class of investment.

I would say invest everything you can at Rally whether that is $100 or $100k. Sounds like it hits all your notes and like I said, when your investments start going up dramatically people will follow. 

Just now, batman_fan said:

I would say invest everything you can at Rally whether that is $100 or $100k. Sounds like it hits all your notes and like I said, when your investments start going up dramatically people will follow. 

I want a 24/7 digital trading platform.  RallyRd doesn't have it.