• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Combined investment will cause Golden Age (Collectors) to explode
3 3

573 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

This exactly.

People forget that one of the largest factors in making comics an investment at all is the "emotional value" that we use to justify almost every purchase. If all of the emotion is taken out then the investment value is greatly reduced.

That “emotional value” you talk about is what I call over paying for something you want ssooo bad....lol

Don’t catch me doing that on stocks...hm

13 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

This exactly.

People forget that one of the largest factors in making comics an investment at all is the "emotional value" that we use to justify almost every purchase. If all of the emotion is taken out then the investment value is greatly reduced.

Yes, and it's this "emotional value" that must continue through generations - somehow-  to keep this hobby going strong into the future. And that emotion must translate to owning the physical copy of something. Here is a somewhat-related example of why I just might have hope for the current youth and maybe (hopefully) their progeny:

I have quite an extensive music collection of LP's , cassette tapes, and CD's (yes, I am 50-ish). The other day, in a Facebook group of like-minded tastes in music, I simply stacked 9 cassette tapes and took a picture and posted. In 3 days, I had 1000+ likes and tons of comments, such as "what I wouldn't do to own that cassette tape of X", and "wow, I didn't think that album even existed in tape form", etc. etc.  I was actually floored !! , because that was the ONLY choice I had, say in 1991, to get that music, just so not a big deal to me. I now have that same music (plus  9000 + more songs) on my little thing I'm holding in my hand now, and  20 year-olds are drooling at what it would be like to own such  relics.  Crazy.

So, I do have hope. 

2 minutes ago, fishbone said:

"what I wouldn't do to own that cassette tape of X"

A great band. Saw them many times.

1 minute ago, MrBedrock said:

A great band. Saw them many times.

And you say your friend Chris was funny  ---  I think it would be a hoot to hang with you, insane comics and art, AND a comedian :roflmao:

4 minutes ago, fishbone said:

"wow, I didn't think that album even existed in tape form"

albumtape.jpg

8 minutes ago, fishbone said:

Yes, and it's this "emotional value" that must continue through generations - somehow-  to keep this hobby going strong into the future. And that emotion must translate to owning the physical copy of something. Here is a somewhat-related example of why I just might have hope for the current youth and maybe (hopefully) their progeny:

I have quite an extensive music collection of LP's , cassette tapes, and CD's (yes, I am 50-ish). The other day, in a Facebook group of like-minded tastes in music, I simply stacked 9 cassette tapes and took a picture and posted. In 3 days, I had 1000+ likes and tons of comments, such as "what I wouldn't do to own that cassette tape of X", and "wow, I didn't think that album even existed in tape form", etc. etc.  I was actually floored !! , because that was the ONLY choice I had, say in 1991, to get that music, just so not a big deal to me. I now have that same music (plus  9000 + more songs) on my little thing I'm holding in my hand now, and  20 year-olds are drooling at what it would be like to own such  relics.  Crazy.

So, I do have hope. 

On a similar note a number of people previously thought the pulps would fade first before comics due to the older collectors dying off. Well that’s more or less happened today and they are doing just fine today with younger collectors taking their place. The collectors that came before me are mostly gone in comics or out of the business at least. Prices keep moving on with new collectors and a lot of what’s in comics are now multi billion dollar businesses with nothing to indicate a slow down. I’m Gen X but Gen Y or Millennials seem to be involved in this market based on what I see so things appear to be fairly solid for comics into the future. As you posted the Millennials are jumping on a lot of stuff I grew up on too just like I was intrigued by stuff that came before my time so the circle of life seems fairly intact...

6 hours ago, GermanFan said:

A nice example of ownership sharing in the art world:

Art dealer Inigo Philbrick’s journey from a life of private jets and million-dollar auctions to an equally glamorous escape from fraud charges in the South Pacific has detoured to a rural Oklahoma jail.

Ah, I clearly did not remember this right.

I thought his name was Inigo Montoya.

3 minutes ago, fishbone said:
31 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

albumtape.jpg

and Steve Vai on this one as well 

Absolutely. The lead out on Ease is one of my favorite guitar parts recorded.

17 minutes ago, vheflin said:
35 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

albumtape.jpg

ahh i still listen to this, saw it live at the Orpheum in Boston

Saw them in Austin after this album. The band came out playing Zeppelin's Kashmir. Lydon walked out in a raincoat and umbrella and there was a rain of loogies. It was kind of a unique way to start a concert.

I got to see X many times between LA and the Bay Area and tore the dance floor up! A few years ago I sat ten feet from John Doe's acoustic show at the Kuumbwa Jazz Center Santa Cruz, CA. some Awesome good time! Look how ahead of the curve they were with their masks and while doing New World.

Partied with Fishbone and drove a couple of the guys to a all night party after the show at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz.

Fishbone is red hot!

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

In a system, whenever it exists, wherever it exists, where someone has $100 to spend on a comic book "investment"  can easily choose to buy shares in a comic book, as easily as buying stock/cryptocurrency, from their phone... the truly rare, truly high grade comics (usually Golden Age) which are available in such a system will have market caps far above the current prices that are only possible with "big money" people.  Big money people pave driveways.  Small money people pave highways.  Comics, thus far, are a driveway investment.  When they become a highway investment, the key issues, true keys, will be the exit ramp to Disney World (pre-Covid).

Again, great for that one investment If that plays out. But does nothing for the rest of the market that own those same books. Their book values haven’t changed at all outside of normal market equilibrium 

Edited by G.A.tor

39 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Where’s digital (iTunes) and streaming services (Spotify)?

Also what the hell do you have against...

975F556F-CEAD-4E23-B1CE-DEEE59E88FDD.png.2fe80501ad91a6477c764cb9aa89e1f6.png

Had that. Saw that tour live. Where's the folded matchbook shoved in holding tape in just the right angle so no drag happening? Must be before it was played a zillion times. 

2 minutes ago, Cobbledclam said:

Where's the folded matchbook shoved in holding tape in just the right angle so no drag happening?

^^