General Fiction - Argosy, Adventure, Short Stories, Blue Book & more

88 posts in this topic

20211230_143024.thumb.jpg.1016916bfdeef4cdffcd0776ca342de0.jpg

My first Mundy story, The Adventures of El-Kerak.  I think I might just read it online, as this book feels pretty fragile.  Were staples not used in this series in the early 20s?  Book is firmly held to the binding, but I cant find the staples to save my life.

Edited by waaaghboss

On 12/31/2021 at 4:10 AM, waaaghboss said:

My first Mundy story, The Adventures of El-Kerak.  I think I might just read it online, as this book feels pretty fragile.  Were staples not used in this series in the early 20s?  Book is firmly held to the binding, but I cant find the staples to save my life.

Nice. Mundy is more literate than most pulpsters, I think you'll enjoy it.

Adventure and other titles from Ridgway were cut on both sides (no signatures).
The spine side was glued to a piece of cloth that looks like a strip from an old school white bandage and the cover was glued on to the cloth.
Advantage: No rusty staples. Disadvantage: Like vintage paperbacks, suspectible to spine cracks if handled roughly.

IIRC, the title switched to staple-bound when it was taken over by Popular Publications.
I could be wrong about this, but definitely early 30s issues were bound in the way i just described.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:40 PM, waaaghboss said:

20211230_143024.thumb.jpg.1016916bfdeef4cdffcd0776ca342de0.jpg

Wow 101 years old now🎶👍‼️😷