• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graham Crackers Chicago Loop store looted, many books taken
1 1

116 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure that Graham has insurance. Will it cover everything? no. Is it still frustrating? Yes. 

I always find it interesting when people who have nothing to do with a situation get more upset about it that the person it actually happened to.

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'm pretty sure that Graham has insurance. Will it cover everything? no. Is it still frustrating? Yes. 

I always find it interesting when people who have nothing to do with a situation get more upset about it that the person it actually happened to.

I don't see anyone here acting more upset than the owner must be right now.

I would hope insurance would cover this kind of loss, though I wonder if riot/mayhem loss is covered. Hopefully it is. I'm not a business-owner so I have no idea how business insurance goes.

Still, would putting out a list of serial numbers of graded books (if any) help track them down?

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

@James J Johnson - I know you’re of the opinion that no civilian anywhere can competently defend themself, and that’s cool.  You can be a patsy if you like.  But there’s plenty of folks walking around this country that will prove that assertion very wrong. 

Talking about Graham’s loop location once more - the doorway is an immediate fatal funnel.  The front windows can be secured by a few strategically placed busted out display cases filled with broken glass.  Two people with solid fundamentals in the use of a 12 gauge can accomplish the rest.

I'd wager that the number of individuals who can competently defend themselves against a brick and bat wielding mob, and not wind up like the unfortunate person who looks as though he was "broken on the wheel", his arms, his legs, his head, even the way his body is twisted, his spine most assuredly, broken as well, are a far fewer number than those, like you, who can singlehandedly take on a large mob determined to kill you. Ironically, the picture above of the man who looks broken like a rag doll, that wasn't the end of it. If you notice, still gathered around him, the mob wasn't through yet. They weren't satisfied with his being broken. They continued to use his head for field goal practice, and then one beat him again with a crowbar. Now I know there are those can trn the tables on a mob like this. I assume you know from personal experience in facing mobs and overcoming them. But my guess is that you're very much in the minority of those that have such extraordinary abilities. And as far as your "stack showcases in front of the window and stand behind them with shotguns", have you ever put that into practice? Have you experimented with mob deterence an various barricades? Honest question. 

54 minutes ago, Senormac said:

reject your "give the bad people whatever they want" kind of thinking.  You go ahead and give them your stuff.  I'm protecting mine. 

I stated that? I don't recall it, so I backtracked and looked. Not there, not edited out. Never stated that. Never even intimated that. 

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I'd wager that the number of individuals who can competently defend themselves against a brick and bat wielding mob, and not wind up like the unfortunate person who looks as though he was "broken on the wheel", his arms, his legs, his head, even the way his body is twisted, his spine most assuredly, broken as well, are a far fewer number than those, like you, who can singlehandedly take on a large mob determined to kill you. Ironically, the picture above of the man who looks broken like a rag doll, that wasn't the end of it. If you notice, still gathered around him, the mob wasn't through yet. They weren't satisfied with his being broken. They continued to use his head for field goal practice, and then one beat him again with a crowbar. Now I know there are those can trn the tables on a mob like this. I assume you know from personal experience in facing mobs and overcoming them. But my guess is that you're very much in the minority of those that have such extraordinary abilities. And as far as your "stack showcases in front of the window and stand behind them with shotguns", have you ever put that into practice? Have you experimented with mob deterence an various barricades? Honest question. 

I've never shied from a fight but I was at a concert once when someone started hostilities-I stood up to deal with it and heard a few shouts from various points around me from his friends.  In a crowd with an unknown number and unidentified numbers of foes, I got the hell out of there.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I've never shied from a fight but I was at a concert once when someone started hostilities-I stood up to deal with it and heard a few shouts from various points around me from his friends.  In a crowd with an unknown number and unidentified numbers of foes, I got the hell out of there.

Smart move. Impossible to "zone" the unknown. 

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Smart move. Impossible to "zone" the unknown. 

In combat I need missile coordinates.

18 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Regarding the picture/person you posted, 

He was voluntarily down at street-level in and among the mob. Big mistake. Imagine the people being wild dogs, you don't go into the mob, especially without backup and lots of it. Learn from the Roof-Koreans. 

Regarding your own opinions, have you ever faced a riot yourself? I have. 1967 Detroit. I was a child but our neighborhood residents were armed and defended our streets from the spreading riots nearby.  

Surrender is not the only option to lawless mobs and riots, but i suppose it is the easiest. Again, learn from the Roof-Koreans. These mobs only continue for months because they're allowed to continue for months, by their victims. 

49 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I’m not putting my credentials on display here, I’ve said enough. 

I’ll just close by saying that you’re demonstrating a fundamental misunderstanding of what is actually going on.

55 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Regarding the picture/person you posted, 

He was voluntarily down at street-level in and among the mob. Big mistake. Imagine the people being wild dogs, you don't go into the mob, especially without backup and lots of it. Learn from the Roof-Koreans. 

Regarding your own opinions, have you ever faced a riot yourself? I have. 1967 Detroit. I was a child but our neighborhood residents were armed and defended our streets from the spreading riots nearby.  

Surrender is not the only option to lawless mobs and riots, but i suppose it is the easiest. Again, learn from the Roof-Koreans. These mobs only continue for months because they're allowed to continue for months, by their victims. 

What are “Roof-Koreans”? And what is your point in mentioning them? 

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

2 hours ago, Senormac said:

reject your "give the bad people whatever they want" kind of thinking.  You go ahead and give them your stuff.  I'm protecting mine. 

I stated that? I don't recall it, so I backtracked and looked. Not there, not edited out. Never stated that. Never even intimated that. 

No, you didn't state those words verbatim but I didn't say you did.  I said your "kind of thinking" is to give up and get out before somebody gets hurt.   Then you add some picture of a crumpled body and a story about how that guy tried to fight to protect his property and how he got his whooped.  Obviously he didn't have any 2nd amendment protection with him.  I agree with you.... THAT guy probably should have got outta there.  Never bring fists to a bat fight !!   

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

During the LA riots of 93(?), many blocks of business were looted and burned to the ground, except those protected by their owners. Korean business shop owners spent days and nights in shifts armed on their rooftops guarding their businesses from riots and they were about the only ones around that didn't burn or get looted. Citizens defending themselves and their property when gov't fails/abandons them.

"Roof Koreans" is now a meme, google them and browse images.

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Google it.  It's from your neck of the woods  :foryou: